“We'll be back!”
Review of Stoney Creek Inn

Stoney Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed 6 August 2006

We were pleasantly surprised by our stay at the Stoney Creek Inn in Galena. While the decor is bordeline over the top with the "wilderness" theme, we agreed it made it a more comfortable stay and didn't feel like we were in a hotel. The pool and hot tub area were very nice and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. During our stay there seemed to be quite a few kids around, so we did appreciate the "adults only" time from 10-11 p.m. in the pool and hot tub area. Our only disappointment was probably the breakfast. We've been to other places with a free continental breakfast that was much more extensive. This was basically donuts, bagels or toast, a few cereals choices, one type of yogurt...and that's about it. However, that wouldn't stop us from coming back. This will definitely be the first place we check when we come back to Galena.

3  Thank Tara19
There are newer reviews for Stoney Creek Inn

A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 June 2006

Staff was pleasant, Close to town, Room was clean and comfy. For the money it was exactly what was expected. Pool area was clean and my girls loved the bunkbeds. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Niles, Illinois
Reviewed 23 May 2006

I checked in to the Stoney Creek Inn hoping to get the shuttle bus to the city that I read about but when I asked if it was running I was told that it ran only on weekends. I saw that there may be a bar but never once did I see it opened. Also there was a Candy Store on the wing where I stayed but that was never opened. I used the ironing board and it fell apart. When I told the woman who works the desk in the morning I was told that maintenance fixes the ironing boards alot. The ironing board was cheap and flimsy. I did like their breakfast. Their coffee was too strong so I had to dilute it. I didn't mind the fact that their was no closet. I was surprised that there was no folder in my room to explain what services (if any) would be available to me. The front desk people were friendly and did help me with planning my outings especially the woman who works in the morning. Even though I did get a deal on the room rate I would go elsewhere next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2006

Booked on line after viewing the website photos. Had been to Galena before and thought the Northwoods feel would be great with the nice views you get in Galena.
Got to the hotel.....It's on top of a strip Mall and car wash. We booked the whirlpool suite....very small as far as suites go. Was basically a standard room with a tub in the corner. We were surprised there was no closet to put away our luggage..? They put a ironing board in the corner to the right of the bed...wow, how romantic!. Tacky! There were 2 cute mugs from the store out for coffee, both had lipstick stains. I always check sheets, had to return the topsheet.......stained. The TV in the room would not turn to face the hot tub. We pulled open the curtains and got a close up view of 3 cars. We had to leave the curtains closed for privacy. We could have easily made eye contact with anyone walking by....yuk.
The mgr (forgot his name, picture was on wall behind him....was not at all friendly. My hubby tried to make conversation with him 2xs.......nothing. Just here's your key... We were hoping for some inside info about things to do, see....The young woman that came into work later in the day was very nice and helpful. She should have been the mgr!

The website listed a complimentary drink...never heard one thing about it. The little room that was suppose to be a bar looked very cute. Fireplace, tables, nice TV.....never opened it. It was Sat. afternoon at 3:00...nothing. ?

We finally found the pool area on our own...very cute. Northwoods feel...trees, etc. No special features for kids....but very cute.

All in all.......for the 159 plus tax....we found 2 other places that had more to offer closer to town.

• Stayed: January 2006
12  Thank wesleysmom
Reviewed 31 December 2005

This hotel is ok for the money but the rooms are on the small side and somewhat pricey for this class of hotel. The bathroom was also small but had a nice looking wood floor. Otherwise, the room was very clean. If traveling with small children, beat them to the room and remove the stuffed bear from view so you don't have to shell out another $20. The pool area is adequate but small. The floor of the pool needs work, especially by the stairs.

But now the problem. I used Expedia to book the room with a AAA rate. I booked a Deluxe 2 double bed room at a nice price. However, upon check in I was informed that I had a standard room. In addition, the price was over $30 higher than the standard room rate on expedia. I complained, showed my receipt from Expedia and they gave me the lower rate. They seemed to have no idea that the rate on Expedia existed. In fact, I asked if they had very many people who use Expedia since this seems like a pretty normal situation. At any rate, I received my price and all was well after that, but I think they need to get this figured out.

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank aclone
Reviewed 15 November 2005

My wife and I had one of the jacuzzi/fireplace suites. Room was nice and clean. Lots of room for the price compared to other hotel suites. Only downfall was the room needs more lighting. The room was very dim. Good location, just a short drive to downtown Galena. Otherwise, the stay was great. Very good and friendly service by the staff. Would definately stay there again.

7  Thank jrdoa
Reviewed 28 October 2005

We had a very nice stay at the Stoney Creek Inn. The rooms were large and immaculate. The Inn is close to the downtown (4 minutes drive away) and less expensive than a stay at many of the other equivalent lodging locations in Galena. My only complaint was that I booked one of their largest rooms at least two months in advance and it was not reserved upon my arrival. Otherwise, the experience was entirely positive.

• Stayed: October 2005