“The Great House is GREAATT!”
Review of Great House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galesburg
Great House
Ranked #1 of 3 Galesburg B&B and Inns
Park Ridge, Illinois
“The Great House is GREAATT!”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and I found the Great House on the internet for the 4th of July holiday of 2013. I wished to visit the Carl Sandburg State Historic Site but had no idea that our B&B, owned by nurse and emergency specialist Betty McNaught, would be just as interesting as Sandburg's birthplace! We were thrilled with her knowledge of the Williard family who built the home in 1857 and were amazed at how she has succeeded in bringing the 73 family members together from across the country to learn about their history!! The home itself is clean and comfy and Betty's breakfast are superb.

Pat and Wayne Lofthouse, Park Ridge, IL

Room Tip: The mattress and pillows are firm so it would be wise to bring your own pillow if you prefer a softe...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loftypat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Jacksonport, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Great House is a golden find in Galesburg. It is for sure the best place we' e stayed in the area and owner Betty McNaught is the greatest hostess we have met. Lovely personality, a dear passion for the home and area, wonderful breakfasts and personal service over the top. It's a can't miss and the only place we'll stay.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank polarbear0729
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This is a lovely, carefully refurbished and updated historic home with large columns in front and a great staircase. Feels like you're in Gone With the Wind but in a town that hosted the Underground Railroad. Rooms are comfortable, clean, and spacious. The breakfast around the dining room table was very fresh, tasty, and served in style at the time we requested. There is plenty of easy parking in back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank RyanLChicago
Whitney, TX
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We statyed there 19-22 Nov 2012. We had a wonderful stay at Great House. We love B&B's and this one is at the top of our list. My husband was born and raised in Galesburg, so we went there to visit his family for the Thanksgiving Holiday. I can't stay with his familiy due to my allergies to anmimals. Betty is such a gracious host. She made each breakfast a culinary adventure. YUM! The rooms are large and well appointed with antiques and books galore. We stayed in the Lincoln Bedroom, so of course, it was appointed with all things Lincoln. We saw the movie "LINCOLN" while there last week which enhanced our B&B experience. The house was built in 1857, before the civil war and is a grand house. We prefer B&Bs over hotels, and this one exceeded our expectations. Thank you Betty for sharing your home with us. Gary and I had a wonderful time and will stay there again when we return. We'll be sure to book early.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Lincoln room as it had a King sized bed. I think the other two rooms have Queen si...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank gharaldson
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Beautiful house! Historic, but bright and airy. Each room has its own bathroom and tv and sitting area. Old houses sometimes seems musty, not this place at all! I always wake up in hotels with a stuffy nose-I woke up breathing easy! And breakfast is truly the best thing I've eaten in Galesburg. Fresh fruit, beautful omelette! When I travel assume I have to bring my own food for breakfast as I can't eat gluten. She asked about food sensitivities when I made the reservation. I couldn't arrive until 9 pm, no problem! Loved the owner. Loved sitting on the porch reading the paper and listening to crickets. I come to Galesburg often. Great House made it feel like a little vacation in a historic railroad town instead of a chore!

Room Tip: Didn't mean to select pool and fitness center, obviously none there. Tripadvisor won't let...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank siamtropicals
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We recently spent two nights at The Great House. It was an absolutely delightful experience! Betty was a great hostess, and we thoroughly enjoyed visiting with her. She provided an "over-the-top" breakfast both mornings. If you're going to be in or near Galesburg, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Peace Dale, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We recently enjoyed a great stay at the Great House while my son was visiting Knox College. The Great House was the perfect place to stay as it is conveniently located near to the college and downtown. It also is located in a neighborhood well suited to a nice evening stroll.

The house itself is a gem and is very well appointed for the guest. We stayed in the Lincoln Room and it was great. Bring a couple of pennies to leave on the mantle and peruse the many Lincoln pictures, busts and books in the room.

Betty was an engaging host, providing us with a tour and history of the house and my wife and I both enjoyed longer conversations with her during our stay which were delightful. Breakfast was very good and filling, easily taking us to a dinner that evening.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family