“Nastiest room i've ever strayed in!!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Galesburg
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This hotel is old and run down in need of repair. In need of updating. It was dark, dirty, very stinky. Stains on the carpet, couch and comforter. Room smell was awful even for a smoking room. I will never stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank jen2978

Reviewed 29 October 2011

My daughter attends Knox College in Galesburg. My wife and I stayed here at the Comfort Inn on several stays per year. We depend on the soft, comfortable beds and the breakfasts at a reasonable cost. I like having a mini-fridge and microwave, but we didn't use them on this trip. We were only disappointed once in Sep of 2011 when the Stearman fly-in had everything in town booked and we had to stay in the Quad Cities. Bummer.

With our AAA discount we usually get rooms for a very reasonable price, $67 (before tax) this trip (making the reservation online one day in advance).

I rate the Comfort Inn quite high as we have consistently had friendly service, do an excellent job at the basics and we aren't looking for amenities (pool or work-out facility). We are an older couple looking for a good night's rest and no more. I echo another reviewer who said that Henderson (the main street at the Highway 34 exit) has plenty of services (gas, fast food, Wallgreens, Target).

Last night we had a good meal at Cellar Pizzeria in the downtown area a half block off Main Street. The breadsticks were atypical, but excellent. Real bread dough baked in big globs with garlic and butter! The same dough as the pizza. As I love thick crusts, this was heaven.

Another favorite at the other end of town (and the other highway 34 exit for Galesburg) is Hacienda Jalisco, a modest family Mexican restaurant. Service is immediate and we love the chips and salsa before ordering. Tonight we had two refills on the salsa. The margaritas were good too.

Galesburg has seen better days, but Knox College is a special place. If you are dropping in for a college visit, please give it a thorough look. It is highlighted in the book "Colleges That Change Lives" for being a high-quality value liberal arts education.

And spend some money in Galesburg. They need the boost.

We just talked tonight about making reservations to return in May for graduation. The four years really flew by quickly!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank olderguy47
Reviewed 22 March 2011

I stayed in Galesburg on day two of a long road trip across America and Canada. I came in from Huntington, WV (which is a decent pull by yourself) and I was just looking to rest and relax a bit--which is a shame, because Galesburg is a still-kicking Midwestern town rich in history. The home of Carl Sandburg and Knox College, I found myself driving around town until the sun finally set just lapping up the surprising charm of the city.

The Comfort Inn is nothing special, but it wasn't really lacking anything, either. It's one of the smallest Comfort Inns I've ever encountered, and it may have fewer amenities than the average one, but the price is cheap, it's close to the highway, convenient to many restaurants (but go into town and try the Pizza House on Simmons--makes a GREAT pie!), and gas stations are up and down the street. The parking lot is safe and secure; had no problem leaving some things in my car and didn't worry too much about it.

The front desk staff was VERY young; the girl who checked me in looked to be about 14 or so. She did just fine and the check-out took two seconds or so. Everything in the room was clean, worked just fine, the bed was firm but comfortable, and I had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was standard. This may be slightly below the level of accommodation and service as one would find at a typical Comfort Inn, but again, I'll take the cheaper price for these digs any day.

The only thing to note is if you are traveling with a family, you may find the rooms a bit small and cramped. For a solo traveler, it's perfect.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I've read many a review on TripAdvisor where the essence of it boils down to "You get what you pay for." Well, I got a great deal on this motel ($45 through Priceline) with a last minute booking to stay here for Thanksgiving and was prepared for exactly that experience. Imagine my delight in finding that this 2-star hotel was actually superior to the last 4-star hotel I had stayed in.

The room was spacious as hotel rooms go. We had a king bed, overstuffed chair with ottoman, mini-frig, microwave, and desk all in the room and still space to move about. Plus all the customary trappings were there as well -- coffe maker, hair dryer, HBO, and 70+ channels on the flat screen TV. The room was clean and the bed was firm yet comfortable.

It is a small motel. Just two floors, no pool or fitness center. And the lobby consists of a few tables where one eats the self-serve breakfast -- waffles, cereal, muffins, and hard boiled eggs were our choices.

I read where one reviewer complained that the hotel couldn't do a last minute change for their basketball team and add extra rooms. Were that had been our problem. My one complaint is that we did have a basketball team join us around midnight of the second night of our stay, and I think we had the room next to the team discipline problem. But I don't blame the hotel for that, as it can happen at any hotel if a tournament is scheduled in the city, and the coaches did get them quieted down.

Galesburg isn't so large that it really matters where your hotel is located, but the Comfort Inn is in a convenient spot with easy access to the interstate, across the street from the mall, walking distance to Target and at the north end of what passes for restaurant row. There is also a YMCA with liberal visitor priviledges less than a half mile away in case you find yourself missing that pool and fitness center.

My daughter lives in the area, so we have stayed at other area hotels several times in the past. Among those options Comfort Inn provided us with our best valued experience to date; we will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2010

This is a small Comfort Inn, but fine for our needs. The desk receptionist was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and comfy. Breakfast was standard Comfort Inn fare. Easy access to Galesburg and many restaurants nearby. Nothing fancy, but a good value for the money. I would stay there again, if I were stopping in Galesburg.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Visiting our son and his family. The beds were super comfortable. the room was clean and had lots of towels. We had planned to go swimming with our grandson and found out at check in there is no pool. The breakfast was okay but, missed some of the items available at other Comfort Inns.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2010

Its not a bad place, the beds and pillows are great, my problem was the ac didnt get that cold and the fridge wasent cold at all.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
Best Western Prairie Inn & Conference Center
Super 8 Monmouth IL
Super 8 Monmouth IL
#2 of 3 in Monmouth
Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!