“A bright spot after a bad day.”

Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Galesburg
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We checked in late, after dark, and were so happy to have a room. It was a very nice room, clean and quiet. Breakfast was a treat the next morning, bisquits and gravy, eggs, most anything you would need. Folks at the front desk were great, friendly and helpful. They did charge a lot ($25) for our small dog but we were happy that she was welcome there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I approached my room with much trepidation, because I had been reading a lot of negative reviews regarding hotels generally and a few regarding this hotel specifically on TripAdvisor, so I was prepared to find all manner of fault. Frankly, I also have had more than a few bad experiences with Holiday Inn, so I have tended toward the Hilton chain for quite some time now and never been disappointed. But I needed to stay in Galesburg and there was no Hampton Inn, so I took a chance on HIE. First off, I had requested a room on the third floor away from the Interstate, based on a prior review here, and foam pillows. Check, and check. Interstate noise was non-existent, and had multiple foam pillows, some marked soft, others firm. The Wi-Fi was wholly adequate to support MMORPG video gaming, even at the far end of the building. Everything was clean with towels galore. I would catch the faintest whiff of some smell occasionally, and although it didn't quite smell like tobacco, I marched down to the front desk to tell them about it, because even if it was not objectionable, I didn't want to be charged for it (see the fine print in the contract you sign at check-in). But the receptionist just laughed and said I wasn't the first person to notice the new furniture smell. Oh, okay, if it wasn't a problem for them, it wasn't a problem for me. Breakfast was a bit of a step up from the usual fare at Hampton Inn: scrambled eggs, enough bacon to feed an army, ham slices, biscuits, and of course their trademark cinnamon rolls. There was also cereal and I think pancakes, but who would want them with all the other tasty food? I'm trying hard to find something negative and I guess it would be that the clock was blinking when I entered the room, so I had to set the time. I know, right? I've been in hotel rooms for which I've hundreds more and had the same problem and couldn't even figure out how to set the clock. So as to everything that mattered, I was much impressed and would stay again. I did get a substantial discount on the rate, so I rated value highly, but I was a bit surprised by the standard going rate at this hotel and all the others in Galesburg. Of course, I can remember when gas was 33 cents a gallon and you could buy a 24-pack of Coke for under $4, so I guess it's me. :)

Room Tip: I had room 322 and the furniture was new and the exterior noise greatly suppressed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel provides the standard HIX package. On the plus side the rooms were large and comfortable and the breakfast had a wide range of hot and cold items, which were regularly replenished as needed. The receptionist also went out of her way to find a room to enable me to check-in early to escape the storms, which was no easy feat as the hotel was full. But I had a few small quibbles: there was no fridge in the room which is something I would expect for the price; the sink stopper did not fit properly; and the supply of coffee sachets in the room was very limited.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The nice thing about Holiday Inn is that there are not the peaks and valleys that are common to other chains, especially franchise chains like Best Western. It is doubtful you will ever confuse a Holiday Inn with a Gaylord Hotes but neither will you find one that is awful. This one is mainstream, decent breakfast, ok room, good wifi, nice people, well located. It is average for a Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: They foolishly still allow smoking in rooms on the ground floor so stay upstairs. Be sure to inform...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
HIEGM, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to serving you again soon at the Holiday Inn Express Galesburg.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

I stayed based on the ranking of #1. I have to say I was very disappointed. The staff was very nice and pleasant. The room had a smell that I could air out with the window open and air on for over 5 hours. The decor was old, the beds were old and the pillows were lumpy and old. One bath towel. Rooms have no amenities for the price. Paid 125 for my king room on a last minute stay. There is an additional fee per dog of 25.00. After staying here I am not sure what they put that money towards. There is a nice grocery store next store with a gas station. Close to downtown but surrounded by roads. Almost impossible to get quiet. The door shuts but doesn't seal so a vacuum of doors opening and closing causes noise in your room. It's an older building so you can hear the plumbing and showers from adjacent rooms. Decent for a night but way way way over priced.

Room Tip: Third floor towards the apartments.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sun95flower
HIEGM, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Galesburg. It is regrettable you where not satisfied with the service you received. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations and I am sorry for that. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest and your next visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

The staff is always attentive to your needs and willing to make your stay a good one but when you find a hair on the pillow and the sheets are thread bare you have to wonder, got clean everything and put on ourself. Also dust webs around the room. Manager did call and apologized for hair and sheets and credited our account with points. This seems to a pattern though as we have had simaliar problems, almost everytime we stay at this HIE. Maybe an unanounce spot check weekly of the rooms from time to time by the Manager would help in the quality of work the cleaning staff performs?

Room Tip: Check your room first, it may save you from having to move everything or changing your own sheets...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
HIEGM, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Holiday Inn Express Galesburg. I am sorry to hear of these problems with your stay. As the General Manager myself and our staff works hard to have a clean safe hotel for our guest. We appreciate the suggestion on the room inspections, I can assure you that it has not gone unnoticed. If I can be of any further assistance now of for future stays please reach me at 309-343-7100 or GalesburgGM@JankoHotels.com

Thank you and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We decided to upgrade from our 'value' hotels' such as Motel 6 or Super 8 to a Holiday Inn Express. For about $25.00 more it proved to be a good decision. Better beds, thicker walls, nicer bathrooms, better breakfast options etc. Cleaner and doesn't smell of smoke. Felt safer too.

So for a 'value' lodging option, this is a recommended hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
HIEGM, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience about our hotel. We look forward to serving you again soon.

Ryan Cochran

Also consider these accommodations in or near Galesburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galesburg
#8 of 10 in Galesburg
Super 8 Monmouth IL
Super 8 Monmouth IL
#2 of 3 in Monmouth

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Galesburg? Share your experiences!