“2 day midweek anniversary trip.”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Hotel provided an alternate"romance package" with non-alcoholic champagne and a fruit/cheese platter, since my husband doesn't drink and I'm allergic to strawberries. Put extra large robes in the room since "one size" doesn't fit us.

Their free breakfast buffet is excellent - fresh and generous. I wouldn't sell my soul for the turndown milk and chocolate chip cookies, but it's a close call. They provided a stepstool for the somewhat high luxury bed (I'm short.)

Loved the spa.

Loved the local transportation, so we didn't need to worry about parking our car at other places.

Loved the river balcony.

And their restaurant, Atwaters, is amazing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I have stayed at this properrty a number of times for business and have always been impressed. The decor is upscale, the staff is freindly abd helpful and the riverviews are calming. Every room has a 4 poster or canopy bed, spa tub and fireplace. The restaurant menu is diversified and everything I have eaten there has been fantastic (down to the local artsan bread)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We read all the wonderful reviews and were quite excited to spend the weekend celebrating our anniversary. Everything went smoothly and we were treated very well and overall we had a slightly above average experience. Like others have said, the restaurant is very good and the cookies/milk at night is a great touch.

However, the room itself wasn't in as good condition as one would expect considering the nightly cost. Our screen door to the balcony was completely dislodged when we arrived so we had to call down to have someone come and fix it. One of the balcony chair seat cover was torn. The room's carpeting is outdated and every time I walked barefoot from the bathroom back into the hallway, the carpeting wasn't finished well and I would end up stepping on some sharp areas.

Also, the TV was nice-large flat screen but directly to the side of the bed so it made for an awkward viewing angle. I suppose couldn't be helped because of the window directly in front of the bed. Not much soundproofing at all. Also, lots of light flooding into the room in the am because no heavy blinds, so if one likes to sleep in, more difficult. In addition, the complimentary continental breakfast doesn't really offer that much. For example, I think I've had better breakfast at the Comfort Inn with their warm scrambled eggs as opposed to the boiled eggs that we had here.

We don't live very close so I don't think we will be back. For the money and distance that we drove, I think we will stay next time at a 4 start hotel in downtown Chicago.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sabrina065
Reviewed 25 July 2011

What a wonderful experience we had., Everything was wonderful. The staff was so helpful, polite, they all did a wonderful job. The wedding coordinator (s) were fabulous. I did not have to worry about anything when we arrived for the ceremony, etc. They were wonderful to work with and very accomodating. The outdoor setting for the ceremony was beautiful. The food was excellent. We have had many people tell us how it didn't taste like "wedding food". We recommend The Herrington to anyone who wants to have a very unique experience. Thanks to all at The Herrington.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BeaB55
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We had our close family stay at the Herrington after our daughter's wedding reception across the street. We were very pleased with the handicap facilities for my 97 year old mother. My husband and I had the Junior River Suite which was spacious and elegant with lovely furnishings. The entire extended family loved their rooms and the wonderful continental breakfast the next morning which we enjoyed together on the patio with a lovely view of the gardens and river. Our family also made good use of the bar in the lobby before our reception began. The cold milk and warm chocolate chip cookies left in our room at night were a nice touch. We certainly plan on staying at the Herrington again since it felt like we had experienced a taste of Tuscany!

Room Tip: We made a special point of asking for a tour before we booked a block of rooms for our daughter'...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I live just a few towns over, and often am in Geneva for restaurants and shopping. But, I had never been to the Herrington until recently for a business meeting. This is a beautiful boutique hotel, with nicely furnished rooms. Room service was prompt and the food was excellent. The spa is pretty tiny, but the staff, from the receptionist to the masseuse, made the experience so enjoyable that I booked another massage for myself and a friend the next week. I would not hesitate to recommend the Herrington to friends, family or clients.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Our dinner in the Atwater restaurant on the 4th of July was fabulous! We had an excellent room on the river with a view of fireworks. Our SPA treatments was were some of the best ever! BUT, the people who work work there; helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and caring, really made our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Tell exactly what you are looking for.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles
2 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago St. Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!