“Really great hotel in a fun area”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Peoria, Illinois
“Really great hotel in a fun area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

We like to find fun areas to shop, eat, and explore, and finding a clean, comfortable, and very special hotel to stay nearby just makes it even more fun. Geneva is one of the best areas to explore in the midwest if you like unusual shops and great restaurants, and the Herrington has become one of our favorite hotels anywhere. The price is admittedly commensurate with the fabulous service, great view, and beautiful rooms, but that's OK, limits the clientele to those who can appreciate the finer things in life. We have not tried the spa yet but will undoubtedly do so on a future trip. The fresh chocolate chip cookies and milk at turndown is typical of the exceptional, thoughtful, unique service at this fine hotel, and a fitting reminder of the history of the property.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Itasca, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

We stayed at the Herrington for a wedding I was standing up in recently. The hotel itself is really nice. The suite we staying was nice ..but not 280 dollars a night nice. We had a suite on the Fox River there but the bugs were brutal to the point we couldn't open the door to the balcony. We had issues checking.. I called in advance around 12:30 that day and made sure my room was available for check in at 2:00 PM and I was told no problem, that it would be ready. When I came into the hotel around 1:50 they told me that room wouldn't be ready till 3:30.. For the price of the room, I expect better service than this. All of the groomsmen were planning on using my room as a staging area for the wedding and pictures that were to start at 3.. well, I told them this was unacceptable. They said the people checked out late from teh night before... how long does it take to clean a room? Why tell me it would be ready when it wouldn't? The people at the desk basically said sorry, nothing they could do and did not say much else, even after explaining what had happened.. for 280 dollars for a hotel in Geneva Illinois I expected better customer service... Overall, i would not return for the price of the room... The wedding there was nice (minus one rude waiter) and the continental breakfast was decent, but I expect alot more for the money..

1 Thank eagledemps
Lafayette, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

My husband and I come to The Herrington Inn & Spa at least once a year. It's so romantic and the staff is unbelievably nice! This time we were there to celebrate our 6th Wedding Anniversary. It was perfect and relaxing as always. I love that if your room wasn't used the night before, they will let you in early, it's just so nice and accommodating! We came early because we had appointments in the spa, check in time wasn't until 4:00, but we got there at noon for our appointments and stopped at the front desk to check in, they gave us our room key and told us to enjoy! It was so nice that we didn't have to find something to do with the hours in between. We had dinner at AtWaters that night and the food was amazing, and the staff gave us a card signed by everyone that said "Happy 6th Anniversary" it was such a nice touch.
The rooms are gorgeous and the bathrooms are amazing, I especially love the great big spa tub for two. However, what makes The Herrington worth the money, (because it's not cheap), is the staff. They are professional and courteous and willing to go above and beyond to please their guests. I highly recommend this place to any couples looking for a lovely getaway.
Thank you to everyone at The Herrington for making our anniversary so special.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Wonderful accomodations in a quaint town with wonderful restaurants and shopping. The Director of Food and Beverage, Corey Hardersenmaitre'd when the , acted as a personal host, server, and maitre'd when the patio was packed due to a wedding. Not only were the drinks and food a value, but the ambience provided a very relaxed and enjoyable river side experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank tommyl024
Saint Charles, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Living close to The Herrington Inn and Spa I have always admired it's beauty and dreamed that one day I would get married on the property. This July my dream came true! My husband and I choose The Herrington Inn and Spa not only for the unbelievable location, views, and pure beauty of the Inn, but we also choose it because of the staff. I have never been to a hotel where I have been treated so well. The staff is caring, respectful, and attentive. Our wedding day went off without a hitch, in our eyes it was perfect! Our guests also loved their stay at The Herrington! Each room as it's own identity. All of the rooms have a fantastic view, comfortable and luxurious furnishings and amenties, and are no where near cookie cutter. The Herrington Inn also adds unique touches wherever and whenever possible to make your stay unique and memorable, such as cookies and milk delievered during turn down service. I would also like to add that not only does The Herrington have unbelievable staff members, top notch amenties, and incrediable guest rooms- they also have some of the BEST food that I have ever had! You honestly can not go wrong staying at The Herrington, it is by far the most wonderful hotel experience I have ever had.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank KateHopp
chicago, il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have stayed at the Herrington before and really enjoyed it. A quaint, warm environment that gives a real feeling that you're far away from the city. This visit we simply weren't as pleased as prior visits. We were in a Jr River suite. The room seemed to have a bit of musty odor. The furniture and bedding, although extremely nice, are really in need of an update. The screen door onto the balcony was broken and filthy. The windows onto the balcony were very dirty as well. We told our bellman at check in about the screen door but no one fixed it. The front desk was informed that we werent thrilled with our room and they did call and speak with us however the hotel was full so we couldnt change rooms and weren't offered any solutions. The inn is still nice but simply overpriced at this point and not deserving of all the stars.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank osunut
logwes, General Manager at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to replace items such as bedding, furniture, etc. often enough that they never get to the point where they appear worn or outdated to our guests. We will definitely inspect the room in question and update as needed. Your comments are much appreciated and I hope you will return.
Paul Ruby, GM
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2011

Hotel provided an alternate"romance package" with non-alcoholic champagne and a fruit/cheese platter, since my husband doesn't drink and I'm allergic to strawberries. Put extra large robes in the room since "one size" doesn't fit us.

Their free breakfast buffet is excellent - fresh and generous. I wouldn't sell my soul for the turndown milk and chocolate chip cookies, but it's a close call. They provided a stepstool for the somewhat high luxury bed (I'm short.)

Loved the spa.

Loved the local transportation, so we didn't need to worry about parking our car at other places.

Loved the river balcony.

And their restaurant, Atwaters, is amazing.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Saint Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!