“Grandmother's Attic Meets Nice Luxury Amenities” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Herrington Inn & Spa

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Nashua, New Hampshire
“Grandmother's Attic Meets Nice Luxury Amenities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was attended a conference at this hotel and checked out the site and have to say they did a great job on the video that is on their site. On a positive note, the staff could not be more friendly and willing to offer assistance. They have such great luxuries such as oversized tubs with a great bath menu that they will prepare for you, which is a great indulgent treat. The food and cocktails are really good and the rooms have nice fireplaces, which are cozy.

The underwhelming part is that the hotel is right on a busy city block and is very darks and feels like you are visiting your grandmother's attic. It is an old mill building and is in desperate need of an update. I love the charm of an historic building, but it really needs to have modern touches, especially if it is a hotel. This hotel would be great for a weekend get away in the winter but it is very dreary and "old school" in a modern world. I will say that I prefer more modern styles so if you do like the idea of rustic and don't mind the older charm, this is great place to stay.

I had a river view, which was pretty but the rooms are literally on top of the river and you can't even take a walk from there and it is very noisy with the ducks.

Room Tip: You can either get a river view or city view, both a very noisy as the hotel is only three floors so...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Christine S
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2014

The Hotel can certainly feel like a grandmother’s attic, with our original antique furnishings, décor and artwork all housed in an historic building dating back to the late 1800’s. We work very hard to keep the romantic old European, rustic feel mixed in with the modern luxuries of oversize whirlpool tubs, flat screen TV’s and complimentary Wi-Fi. We do lack straight lines & contemporary finishes which understandably is not to everyone’s taste.

I’m very happy to hear you found the video we created captured the true essence of the Herrington Inn & Spa and our team.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope to welcome you back to the Herrington Inn & Spa in the future.

Regards,
Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Herrington for a New Year's getaway, and it was absolutely perfect! The rooms are huge and we had a gorgeous fireplace and beautiful view of the river. I could sit by the fireplace with that view all day. We had a delicious dinner, during which the chef substituted the "turf" part of my dish for double "surf," as i am a pescetarian--two lobster tails! The bathroom was my absolute favorite with the giant jacuzzi tub and heated floor.

Service was impeccable. I ordered a special mud bath and it was brought up almost immediately. And nothing beats the chocolate chip cookies at turn down! Absolutely perfect!

Room Tip: I think all rooms have a fireplace and gorgeous view!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gildasmum
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Absolute perfection is where we aim, it’s great to hear you feel we accomplished this throughout your stay. We shall have extra cookies and mud ready for your return.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Herrington Inn & Spa very soon.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Have stayed at the Herrington Inn 3 times. Each time I had a beautiful room overlooking the water. The rooms are beautiful with fireplace, 4 poster beds, beautiful bathrooms and patio. The alfresco dining in the summer is great. The last time I stayed there was a festival in the town with bands, side walk sells, food trucks, etc.. It was fun to walk around! I have used the spa only once and it was nice. Being there on business all 3 times, left me little time to really enjoy the amenitites the hotel offers. The front desk staff could be a little friendlier. Geneva is a nice little town about 40 minutes from Chicago O'hare airport. Would definately stay there again, Perfect place for a girls getaway for a weekend of fun and spa treatments!

Room Tip: get a room overlooking the water on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our alfresco dinning patio is once again open, we just need the weather to cooperate!

Schaumburg, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary over the weekend. And while we enjoyed our stay we were both a bit disappointed.

Positives:
Quaint lobby and friendly front desk.
Large clean rooms.
Very large bathroom with heated floors and large Jacuzzi tub
Atwaters restaurant served very nice food at a decent price for the value.

Negatives:
We pre-ordered chocolate covered strawberries and also a wine and cheese platter to be delivered to our room. When it arrived there was no wine and no napkins or silverware. At first I noticed the wine missing and then later had to call for the silverware (not sure how to spread cheese on my cracker without a knife?) The front desk was very apologetic; however, considering it was an error on their part I would have expected a quick correction. It took about 15-20 minutes to get the wine; however, I would have expected it much sooner being that this is a small hotel. For a $72 ‘snack’ I expected better service and attention to detail.

When checking out, the hotel charged us twice for the cheese tray. I’m not quite sure how this could have happened being that we pre-paid for our room and extra amenities prior to our arrival. This tells me that someone went into the system after we arrived to add this on (perhaps when we called down to ask for silverware?). It was resolved; however, I was again disappointed and felt inconvenienced.

The Atwaters restaurant was very nice. Small and quaint. We ate there for both dinner and breakfast. However, after having our server recommend a bottle of wine we were later told they were out of it. Unfortunate for a restaurant that boasts an extensive wine list. After our meal we ordered cappuccinos only to find out that the machine was out of order.

The furniture is a bit outdated but added to the uniqueness of the room. Hallway carpets looked pieced together and need to be replaced. I would consider staying there again at a discounted rate but would shift my expectations a bit. My expectations were initially aligned with the four-diamond rating.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is very disappointing to hear that we did not live up to this promise during your stay with us.

I can only apologize for the error and delay in both charging and delivering for the pre-ordered amenities, please be assured this has been addressed and additional training delivered. Our wine list is changed continually to bring our guests an eclectic and interesting variety. I apologize that on this occasion your initial choice was unavailable and trust our Sommelier was able to recommend a suitable alternative.

I will ensure all of your feedback is shared with the departments concerned and corrections made where needed.

Northern Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've been for the second time there for business purposes. The hotel is really nice and well located on the banks of the Fox river. My room had a fantastic fireplace and bathroom with jacuzzi and shower. Rooms and bathrooms are very clean and spacious. The hotel has a vary good restaurant (Atwaters) where I had a couple of gorgeous dinners. You can walk in few minutes to downtown Geneva or rent a bike or hike along the Fox river track. I strongly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with river view and fireplace
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team. Perfect is what they all aim for!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

The place is charming, hour drive to city. Stayed for weekend. The restaurant has a limited menu, not our taste. The furniture in restaurant was tattered. Rooms were nice size, if you have small children ground floors that back up to river is not suggested. Drop off directly into river. Otherwise old world charm.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback.

I am concerned over the ‘limited menu’ you may have been presented with and would very much like to discuss this with you. We have several menus available and a very adaptable kitchen brigade who are happy to prepare any items we have. At your convenience please contact me at the Hotel so I may investigate fully.

tinley park, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here overnight on a Saturday and loved it. It is walking distance to many shops and restaurants and overlooks the lake. It's so charming and quaint. The staff was extremely friendly and our room was beyond expectations. It was clean with a comfy king size bed, a fireplace, whirlpool tub, and awesome turn down service. There is complimentary transportation to shopping or restaurants. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a room on the end of the second floor which was nice and quiet and the balcony was overlookin...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Stewart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Saint Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!