“Elegant and Relaving”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Alton, Illinois
“Elegant and Relaving”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

When my spouse goes to Chicago on business I will go with him every time if he stays at the Herrington. It is one great boutique hotel and the best part is the chocolate chips cookies and fresh milk delivered to your room right before bedtime. It is located right on the Fox River; I like to sit outside and read or just relax looking at the scenic beauty. Their spotless spacious rooms are tastefully decorated with a nice whirlpool tub as well as a huge glass shower. I always sleep well when I stay there on their thick, soft, comfy mattress. Their restaurant serves "game type food" (hare, pheasant and duck). Even if you don't eat dinner there, I recommend ordering one of their delicious desserts and taking it back to your room. ( Their crème brulee is a real treat!) The hotel is well situated within walking distance of all the cute little shops in Geneva. Their staff is always helpful and polite. We have stayed here many times and it is always wonderful! When you go to the Herrington you are in for relaxation, elegance and best of all, those yummy cookies!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor where you can walk out to the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 78MaryH
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we continue to live up to this promise during your stays with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team, especially the kitchen team.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Herrington Inn & Spa very soon.

Stewart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Wichita Kansas
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here at least 5 times. As always, staff is wonderful - Attwaters food is beyond compare. Rooms are extraordinary. We chose this hotel because it is our favorite on earth. After a hard winter/spring with health and business issues, my wife and I wanted a 3 day getaway with no stress, no traffic, a room with a view. We just relax here like no other place on earth (and I go lots of places). Herrington Inn never fails to deliver. Stayed on the 3rd floor, overlooking the river. Perfect weather, fantastic suite.
I have 2 minor complaints. Every night staff delivers a Chocolate Chip cookie and bottle of milk when they turn down the bed. My memory is a warm cookie. Pretty fresh. The cookies this trip are hard like crackers, and room temp. Again, minor. How many other places bring a cookie and milk at bedtime. But a little let down.
Second, all the lights in our room seem very dim. Can't see in the closet at night, nor the make up counter mirror. Just seems like the lights could be a bit brighter.

Still, Marble floors, bath tub large enough to swim in. Perfect shower, fireplace, all so perfect we could stay in and melt.

Thanks again for a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a river balcony
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank morningshw
Thank you for your review and feedback.
Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we continue to live up to this promise during your stays with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Our cookies continue to be baked fresh in house each evening, I sincerely apologize for the harder consistency on your last visit. Please let me know when you are due to return and I shall ensure we have a special extra melt in your mouth batch for you.

London
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Geneva is a lovely town with some great shops and restaurants. (Brilliant mexican in town).

2nd time staying in the hotel and still as lovely as years ago. Cold milk and warm cookies in the evening sitting out on the deck over the river. Followed by a cold beer. Really comfy beds you need a step to get up to. The staff drop you to the station or nearby restaurants when you need to head out. Cocoon is a great little store for gifts just up the road on 3rd. Def hope I'll have a chance to get back there.

Room Tip: Overlook the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kore2009
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team here at the Inn and also over at Cocoon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for one night on a business trip. A wonderful old building. Our room was great first floor towards the Fox River. Mild smell of mildew but hey it's on a River. Staff was polite. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank WillySpr

Lockport, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Herrington last night. We are vegan and mentioned this to our server as the soups were coming out. She made sure that our salads had no cheese, and the chef made us fantastic vegan meals on short--immediate!--notice. We were floored. Impeccable service, delicious food, and an absolutely beautiful venue. It was our first trip to the Herrington, and it definitely will not be our last.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your wedding experience with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Great to hear the kitchen team accommodated your requests on immediate notice.

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and I just celebrated our two-year anniversary. We were excited to go back to the Herrington as that's where we spent our wedding night. This was also our first night away from our 8 month-old son. I got in touch with Jennifer, the sales director, about a month ago to set up the reservation and I made a few requests for the spa and restaurant. I wanted to do something special for my wife so I requested some help with a menu and a potential couple's massage.

Jennifer was a huge help all along the way. She gave us a generous discount for a Junior River Suite and I thought we would be all good the way with the spa and restaurant.

Our room was exactly how we remembered it from two years ago. We had a great view of the river. We had chocolate-covered strawberries waiting for us with a note for our anniversary, though it was for our "1st" anniversary. We laughed it off. Sadly, when we went to sit outside, our table was covered in dirt. We cleaned it ourselves, though when we told the front desk they mentioned there was some power washing going on and they were unable to clean it on time. No big deal.

We went the spa pumped for our couple's massage and when we got to the desk the woman asked who we were. She said she didn't have us down, but that we had been scheduled for the next night. This was a pretty big disappointment as my wife and I were looking forward to it as a great lead-in for the dinner. The front desk was very apologetic about the mix-up and later on we found a generous bath essentials gift in our room along with a $100 gift certificate for the inconvenience. We felt it more than made up for what happened.

Our dinner at Atwater's was fantastic, with great food and great service by Rene. I recommend the crab fritters and the sea bass along with some wine from Sparkman cellars.

We chose to wait until morning for the amazing milk & cookies. This morning I was a bit concerned about the smell from the bathroom, a kind of sewage/gassy smell coming from the toilet. It wasn't so bad that I told the front desk, but it may be something to look into. The continental breakfast was more than enough for us and then we were on our way to the All Chocolate Kitchen for a great afternoon. During breakfast I did overhear the hostess from the restaurant leaving a voicemail with me about a reservation for tonight. I walked over and inquired. They apparently had me booked for the Saturday (though we ate there Friday) for a party of 8. I'm glad we were able to keep them from that booking. We used the gift card toward this trip.

Overall, this was a great overnight. We were sad for some of the miscues, especially the spa. Everyone who worked there was very courteous and helpful. We felt taken care of when things went wrong and we definitely hope to make it a regular anniversary trip. We trust that as we get known over the years some of the miscues will disappear.

Thanks, Herrington, for everything! We hope to see you again next year!

Room Tip: Junior River Suite. It looks like the cottages have much more privacy.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is very disappointing to hear that we did not live up to this promise during your stay with us.

I sincerely apologize for the issues detailed and the disappointment this caused during your visit. It is good to hear your positive comments on how the situation was dealt with and I will be sure to pass these comments on.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My sister in law and I just had the best weekend ever! We chose the Girls Gotta Get away package. We checked in Friday evening. Saturday morning we both enjoyed a facial and massage accompanied by a fantastic foot bath. During our weekend stay the Swedish Days Fest was going on which was just steps away from the Inn. The staff go out of their way to make sure your stay is enjoyable! Our room was on the second floor with a nice baloney and great view of the river! Beds are super comfy as I fell asleep right away! Also you can't beat the chocolate chip cookies and milk they give you each night! I've found my little piece of heaven!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

The festivities of Swedish Days are a great time to visit the Herrington Inn and the City of Geneva itself. Your little piece of Heaven (and extra cookies) will be awaiting your return.

Stewart
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#6 of 11 in Saint Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!