“A nice getaway in the suburbs”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The Harrington is located on the Fox River, and is easy to find and within easy walking distance to the shops and some restaurants in Geneva as well. Directly west of the hotel, across the river, is a beautiful little park to enjoy as well.

I was here for a meeting and the facilities were very good; there were two to three dozen of us there. The meals were good and they were able to accommodate requests for allergies and food sensitivities. There is a restaurant on site, though I did not have the opportunity to eat at the restaurant. There are also restaurants nearby since it's by the shopping district in Geneva.

The rooms are very posh. I had a room on the first floor, and had a deck outside the room over the river. The rooms also may have a variety of amenities: gas fireplace, minibar, jacuzzi tub, flat screen television, and bidet. Housekeeping staff visit in the early evening to bring cookies and milk and turn down the bed. I felt like a princess. The staff is incredibly professional and hospitable.

The bar is a bit pricey for my taste, but I don't drink much so it was easy to opt out of that. The only mark against the place keeping it from being a perfect retreat was the bugs. I know nature isn't something that the resort has a lot of control over, but there were these moths everywhere whenever you open the door. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take advantage of that beautiful view because of it! I would have loved to sit on the deck in the evening and read or just enjoy the river, and I gave it a try a few times to no avail. Had I gone out, I would have been accosted by moths and/or let a bunch of them in my room, which would have may have made for a less than pleasant slumber. I did jump out on the balcony for 1-2 minutes around 7:30 am, when the bug activity was a bit lower, but was really disappointed I couldn't take advantage of the best part of getting such a great room. Hopefully this is simply an early spring thing and it's not an issue at other times of the year--this visit was in early May.

The Harrington is very near the shopping district in Geneva. Just a few blocks away are all kinds of fun little shops to stop in, many if not most locally owned, so that is a nice plus in my book. There are several restaurants around serving all meals if you want to get away from the hotel for a bit. However, this does have the aforementioned restaurant and offers a nice little continental breakfast, which consisted of cereals, cheese, fruit, orange and grapefruit juice, hard boiled eggs, pastries, coffee and tea when I was here. That was an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the first floor due to the deck, but the second floor may have a nice view too.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Schuyler P
There are newer reviews for The Herrington Inn & Spa

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The problem with staying at the Herrington is that once you've stayed there it will become your new personal standard for hotels. You are likely to become very dissatisfied with any hotels that provide less than the Herrington definition of quality and customer service. Stay at your own risk! You're going to be spoiled! Fireplace, river view, whirlpool tub, luxury details, and even an umbrella hanging in the closet for your use as you walk the quaint streets of Geneva on drizzly days. We have definitely joined the "guests-for-a-lifetime" club!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank MEBdny
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

We are always very happy to welcome new additions to our guest for life family. Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Herrington Inn & Spa very soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

When my spouse goes to Chicago on business I will go with him every time if he stays at the Herrington. It is one great boutique hotel and the best part is the chocolate chips cookies and fresh milk delivered to your room right before bedtime. It is located right on the Fox River; I like to sit outside and read or just relax looking at the scenic beauty. Their spotless spacious rooms are tastefully decorated with a nice whirlpool tub as well as a huge glass shower. I always sleep well when I stay there on their thick, soft, comfy mattress. Their restaurant serves "game type food" (hare, pheasant and duck). Even if you don't eat dinner there, I recommend ordering one of their delicious desserts and taking it back to your room. ( Their crème brulee is a real treat!) The hotel is well situated within walking distance of all the cute little shops in Geneva. Their staff is always helpful and polite. We have stayed here many times and it is always wonderful! When you go to the Herrington you are in for relaxation, elegance and best of all, those yummy cookies!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor where you can walk out to the river.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 78MaryH
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we continue to live up to this promise during your stays with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team, especially the kitchen team.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here at least 5 times. As always, staff is wonderful - Attwaters food is beyond compare. Rooms are extraordinary. We chose this hotel because it is our favorite on earth. After a hard winter/spring with health and business issues, my wife and I wanted a 3 day getaway with no stress, no traffic, a room with a view. We just relax here like no other place on earth (and I go lots of places). Herrington Inn never fails to deliver. Stayed on the 3rd floor, overlooking the river. Perfect weather, fantastic suite.
I have 2 minor complaints. Every night staff delivers a Chocolate Chip cookie and bottle of milk when they turn down the bed. My memory is a warm cookie. Pretty fresh. The cookies this trip are hard like crackers, and room temp. Again, minor. How many other places bring a cookie and milk at bedtime. But a little let down.
Second, all the lights in our room seem very dim. Can't see in the closet at night, nor the make up counter mirror. Just seems like the lights could be a bit brighter.

Still, Marble floors, bath tub large enough to swim in. Perfect shower, fireplace, all so perfect we could stay in and melt.

Thanks again for a wonderful trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a river balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank morningshw

Thank you for your review and feedback.
Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we continue to live up to this promise during your stays with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Our cookies continue to be baked fresh in house each evening, I sincerely apologize for the harder consistency on your last visit. Please let me know when you are due to return and I shall ensure we have a special extra melt in your mouth batch for you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Geneva is a lovely town with some great shops and restaurants. (Brilliant mexican in town).

2nd time staying in the hotel and still as lovely as years ago. Cold milk and warm cookies in the evening sitting out on the deck over the river. Followed by a cold beer. Really comfy beds you need a step to get up to. The staff drop you to the station or nearby restaurants when you need to head out. Cocoon is a great little store for gifts just up the road on 3rd. Def hope I'll have a chance to get back there.

Room Tip: Overlook the river.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kore2009

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your stay with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team here at the Inn and also over at Cocoon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed for one night on a business trip. A wonderful old building. Our room was great first floor towards the Fox River. Mild smell of mildew but hey it's on a River. Staff was polite. We will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank WillySpr

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I attended a wedding at the Herrington last night. We are vegan and mentioned this to our server as the soups were coming out. She made sure that our salads had no cheese, and the chef made us fantastic vegan meals on short--immediate!--notice. We were floored. Impeccable service, delicious food, and an absolutely beautiful venue. It was our first trip to the Herrington, and it definitely will not be our last.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Stewart B, Director of Operations at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback.

Our mission at The Herrington Inn & Spa is always to exceed our guest’s expectations. It is wonderful to hear that we lived up to this promise during your wedding experience with us. I will personally ensure that your comments are shared with the team.

Great to hear the kitchen team accommodated your requests on immediate notice.

Stewart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Comfort Inn & Suites
#2 of 18 in Naperville
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!