“Transformed Environment”
Review of Niche

Niche
Reserve with OpenTable
Niche is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 150 Restaurants in Geneva
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Rt 38 and James St.
Transit: The Metra train station in Geneva is located 5 blocks South of Niche on Third street. This is one of the more relaxing ways to travel to Geneva from Chicago, and a short walk away from the best dining Geneva has to offer.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Chef Serena Purdue no longer helms this little nesting place in Geneva, but Sommelier, Vince has taken over with a new chef and has transformed this place into a little less intimidating, more casual open aired space. Gone is the room divider and white table linens and high boy tables and chairs in the bar opening the bar into the dining area. They have a great selection of beer on tap and in bottles, not to mention a great wine list. The menu is more focused on small plates but offers a varied selection of dinner entrees. The charcuterie and cheese selection was delightful on a Sunday afternoon. This is a great place to stop after work when disembarking the train or anytime you are in the mood to nosh. While more casual, it still offers an air of sophistication in an upbeat fashion.

2  Thank martinigirlmina

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We were out in spite of the storm warnings so the restaurant was quiet for a Saturday night. I was a little taken back by the tiny table against the bar and right under a speaker. The "well" scotch is a cheap brand with a medicine taste and the music was loud for an empty room and some weird techie type of "music"--but our waiter (a true pro) had it changed when we said something. The wine list is sporadic --based more on wholesale purchase opportunities than food pairing or guest appeal ----but then we got to the food!!! The food makes up for the other inadequacies! We had a duck salad that rivaled anything I had in France -duck breast warm on the chilled salad and PERFECTLY pink. I had short ribs that literally made me roll my eyes and do all the auto response "OMG" yum sounds and reactions. My seat mate had the chicken listed as 'half" which it wasn't but was so good -who cares. He ordered a second dinner of short ribs which proves how extraordinary the food truly is. Niche is pricey and undeserved of their "destination" reputation until one gets to the food. Desserts were unremarkable --2 of 3 cheeses a pass, but one a triple cream -lovely. We will return, but with lowered expectations.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

New chef in the kitchen. I have been eating there a couple of times a month for several years, and loved this place. After the first meal I had from the new chef I cancelled all my upcoming reservations. His offerings were mediocre at best. In an effort to be innovative he combines flavors which clash disturbingly with one another. He has been around (formerly at 302 West) and had this same proclivity then. "I never thought of combining these ingredients......now I see why I never thought of combining them." :(

3  Thank rsp77horse
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We hadn't been to Niche in quite awhile and went for a b'day dinner. We asked for a nice table and were seated near the bar on a busy aisle, not exactly a great spot when there were lots of other tables near windows and deeper into the dining room where we could have been seated. The waiter more than made up for the disappointing table. We started off with a complimentary birthday toast which was a very nice touch. The waiter was very knowledgeable on all aspects of the menu and wine list and was a pleasure to deal with. There are not a lot of selections on the menu, but the food is very well prepared. The butternut squash soup was excellent, the cheese course was ok, and the entrees, both of us had beef, were cooked beautifully, fork tender. While the food is quite tasty, there isn't much of it on your plate. The rolls which we were told were just coming out of the oven, were cold. The meal was served with just the right amount of time between courses, not rushed at all. It was a pleasant evening in all.

Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Happened upon this place by chance and will be back again. Great example of what fresh seasonal ingredients in the hands of a solid, inventive chef can result in. Strong start to our meal with the Shrimp & Grits and the Smokey Egg - the latter was a must have for the experience and taste that rivals Alinea and Grace! Short rib entree was tender with a delicious kale salad on the side. Dessert was blackberry pie with a heavenly Earl Grey custard. Wish we had room for more desserts - they looked extremely involved and creative. Can't wait to come back!

1  Thank ChrisfromChicago