“followed the reviews to a delightful dinnner”
Review of Bangkok Restaurant

Bangkok Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 149 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I was looking for something different in the area to get away from the heaviness of all the chain restaurants. I may not have found Bangkok Restaurant if not for the reviews. Family run businesses can be hit or miss and this was simply delightful. While dining I noticed another couple had mentioned really liking mango so the owner gave them a whole fresh mango to take with them. Its unusual but a very nice personal touch.

One of our entre's was #50 from the menu; Thai Sweet and Sour chicken. The flavors were perfectly balanced in a very nice tomato broth. Our other entre' was #38 from the menu; a shrimp with napa and chinese cabbage with rice vermacelli noodles and fresh ginger in oyster sauce cooked in a clay pot. Again, I thought the flavors, especially the giner, were very fresh and perfectly balanced. The shrimp were fresh, plump, and cooked just right. Having just arrived from the Gulf coast I was making a comparision to how good these were to shrimp I had just had down south.

Our dinner ended with a Thai Rolled Fortune Cookie which is much tastier than Chinese fortune cookies and the fortunes just as interesting. The menu listed all the usual favorites plus some that I've never had before so I have something to look forward to on my next visit.

1  Thank Boomerang025
There are newer reviews for Bangkok Restaurant

Reviewed 16 May 2012

Bangkok Thai has its "A-game" going all of the time. The food is awesome in taste, spice combinations, fresh vegetables, chilli heat level (as mild or as hot as you want it), protein choices, and variety across the menu (apps, salads, soups, rice dishes, noodles, dinner dishes). Some of our favs are: tom ka gai, pahd sea-ewe, spring rolls, paw pia tod, Nuea yahng, nam sod, gang ga-ree gai, mussamun nuea, pla rad prik, pahd gra-praw, and gra tiam pring thai. For many dishes it is included in the description that you can choose tofu, chicken, beef, or pork as part of the dish at no extra charge. Drink selections include hot tea, thai iced coffee, thai iced tea, and soft drinks. Ice water gets refilled continuously - an unintrusive and helpful service. Besides us, we know plenty of other people too who make this "a destination". BT is followed nicely with desserts at Atwater's (in the Herrington Inn), All Chocolate Kitchen, The Latest Crave, Graham's, or Graham's 318; mini-golf or a beautiful walk at Wheeler Park; or a shopping adventure inside The Little Traveler.

Quick notes:
- Vina, Ron, and A are the family who run this place. During any dining experience you are likely to witness truly heartfelt greetings and visits between them and various customers during dine-in and take-out. They have been a blessing over and over again to so many of us in the Fox Valley.
- Your bill may be paid by credit or cash, but the tip must be left in cash.
- Prices more than reasonable, with portions meant to be shared around the table.
- Park at un-metered spaces in front of BT on State and around the corner on 2nd. Free parking lot on the sw corner of Route 31 and State.
- Interior decor is Thai art; table cloths; classy; but people still feel at home in shorts and a t-shirt

1  Thank hdbangr11
Reviewed 2 April 2012

This place is great. It is a BYOB with great Thai food and it is a family run place. There is always just the one server. She is good but service can be slow but it helps because they have a small kitchen so it is a system for a reason. Enjoy your meal and the company you are with. I love the ground pork salad (#13 I think). The Tom Yum Soup with shrimp is dynamite. The #53 and #51 are great too. There is a shrimp one with clear glass noodles that is very good too.

Reviewed 29 January 2011

I just want to point out that Peeoui is not right that Bangkok rastaurant change the name to Thai Bistro. These are 2 different restaurants. We went the other day to Bangkok restaurant and although it was hard to find (they don't have a big sign) it is there! It is between 31st and 2nd street, on the same side that thai bistro is on.
The food and staff was very good. We had the soup Tom Ka Gai it was delicious, Mussamun Nuea (curry dish) was much better than other thai places we had. We also had Pad Thai and although it was good I think nobody has better Pad Thai than Thai village in Batavia ( thai village has terrible service though so we often have take out there).
I really think they deserve 4,5 just because pad thai is not the best and the waitress although very nice, couldn't really recommend any specialty so we just order what we like the best.

Reviewed 13 February 2010

Wow! Been here lots, and never had a bad meal. The dining area is not much to look at, and can get pretty cramped on a busy night, but the food is GREAT. Hot. Fresh. Good portions. Bring your own wine (there is even a nice wine shop next door -- the owner of which at times comes by and gives out samples to Bangkok diners.) This is family owned, family operated, using (my guess) secret family recipes. If you like Thai food, or want to try it for the first time, this is your place. The only sad part for me is that after finding this little gem, I am often let down by other places I visit . . . Small. Loud. Quick. Delicious.