“just happy to sleep in a bed”
Review of Motel 6 Gilman

Motel 6 Gilman
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gilman
Reviewed 16 June 2013

It smelled clean, looked clean...but found a stain(blood?) on the sheets. That made me nervous to pull the bedspread up to my face. But everything looked clean, no dirt in the corners or along the wall and the bathroom and shower looked good. But the bag in the garbage can was not. I wanted a clean bag and was going to use it, it was a used bag! Cutting corners like that, not good. English is their second language, I had made a comment about the snowblower that was in the lobby could be put away 'cause it was mid June. She responded by talking about the blowing winds of Chicago. Everything gets an average rating cause you get what you pay for. Service gets an excellent "cause she was a very nice lady and in the morning she was still working and still in a great mood.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChaseburgRae

Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

Furniture is new, but cracks in walls & surfaces have been painted over but not repaired. Pipes and toilet are old; fan and light controls are old. Bedspreads are stained and have burn holes. A space is cut into the bathroom counter for Kleenex, but there is no holder. The wastebasket contained refuse and an old pair of socks!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Imhep
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I had a great stay at this location, which for some reason wasn't on my Motel 6 app, but it was there when I needed it as I had to get a few hours of sleep on my way to Memphis. The room is in the new style of Motel 6 renovations, with the faux hardwood floors and different color scheme...but this one went a step further and had a cool booth-type seat where you could watch tv and work on paperwork or your laptop. Very clean & tidy and the night lady was very friendly, putting up with me accidentally getting my 48 foot trailer stuck in the back lot. There is NO truck parking behind the building, by the way...so any truckers reading this should use the Dairy Queen parking lot that I ended up using. The shower was hot and forceful, which is somewhat of a rarity at Motel 6 so I was very pleased. Soft water, so be aware.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank DasPimp
Reviewed 17 February 2011

The staff is extremely rude. Mattress has plastic underneath and sheets slide around on it when you sleep. The desk clerk threatened to throw me out if I complained. Motel 6 needs to revoke the franchise of this motel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Donald C
Reviewed 8 November 2010

This was a tale of two nights. First night gets a 1 star, the second gets a 3 star. First night they were fairly full and even though we reserved this place almost 2 months in advance, we were given one of the last rooms available in the second outlying building.

First thing that stood out was the weird design. Some kind of fake hardwood floors instead of carpet. Don't most every motel now a days have a carpeted room? Then not much for furniture, just a little booth and a few bookshelves. No alarm clock or dresser or anything. Bed was just a mattress, no spring set. No towel rack, just little cubby holes for the towels to be stuffed in. Bathroom was small and shower head was about to fall out of the wall.

Worst of all, blood stains on the shower curtains and spots around the bathroom. Eck. Didn't notice the extent at first until we went to take a shower the next morning. We already had two nights booked and spoke with the apparent owner at the desk. They were very friendly but it seemed odd as they said "I told the staff to clean that room better, I guess I should have inspected it first" So they knew about the blood stains all over the room and still rented it out?

Anyways, the second night they gave us a new room in the main building and it was much better. Still the strange floors and odd design, but a bigger and most importantly cleaner bathroom. Had a desk too. Only problem was I couldn't connect to their supposed wi-fi at all, they gave me a password but no matter what it wouldn't allow me on. Oh well.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We are staying here right now and let me say these are some of the nicest owners I have ever met. Very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are remodeled and for a budget hotel you cannot ask for anything better. The bathrooms are not remodeled as stated before but I am sure the owners are doing what they can. Compared to other hotels in the area, this one is by far our first choice from now on. Smoking rooms are n the building with doors on the outside, non-smoking in the newer building inside. They also have an indoor pool.

We almost stayed in Watseka where my son lives but their attitude stopped us. If you call and get rude, more than likely the hotel experience will be the same.

McDonald's and Dairy Queen within walking distance and pizza place across the street.

Don't fret the previous reviews, things have changed. But if your looking for a four star hotel, best go back up north to Kankakee. ;-)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sdchampion
Reviewed 9 September 2010

This motel has recently been changed to a Motel 6. I would say "very good" for this area. All new bedding, but not new space or bathrooms. The carpets have all been pulled except in the hallways. I found the room to be very clean. The space under the doors between rooms and the hallway made it pretty loud for voices and doors being closed (although I am a light sleeper). The owners are very sweet and accommodating. You can ask for a refrigerator in your room. They supply morning coffee. The motel seemed quite safe and is locked except for key entry at night. I would probably recommend to a friend staying in Gilman, IL.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank lmaspen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gilman
Super 8 Watseka
No photo provided
Watseka Motel
#1 of 1 in Watseka
TimberCreek Bed & Breakfast

Been to Motel 6 Gilman? Share your experiences!