“A Hidden Gem in Glen Ellyn”
Review of Bistro Monet - CLOSED

Bistro Monet
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, IL
“A Hidden Gem in Glen Ellyn”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We went to this little restaurant with some good friends -- one of whom is actually a professional chef, her husband is a wine connoisseur. There is nothing like going to a restaurant with pros, especially when they are known by the kitchen staff.

The service was exquisite -- but it wasn't just that we were known, I could see that everyone there was served with parallel courtesy and care. But the food was astonishing. This was like being on an episode of "Check Please" in Chicago and finally discovering a restaurant you could tell your friends about. The wine list is endless, the the waiter will kindly coach you through the entrée choices, and the desserts? Save room. They are the best. I had something chocolate that I can barely describe and the waiter told me to be sure and have it with red wine. I did. And it was heavenly.

This is a great restaurant for a special occasion. Or if you want to eat cheaply, just sit at the little bar and enjoy one of their soups and a small salad with wine. You won't be disappointed.

Easy parking right off Park St. (south of the RR tracks).

• Visited January 2014

Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“needs updating and priced high”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

My husband and I went for restaurant week to try something new. We shared the Classic Cassoulet. The lamb chop was tough and flavorless, the duck was good, and the sausage was poor. The decor is very out dated and it felt like we were invisible. I had coffee to drink when we first sat down. The cup sat empty after the first pour. I had to ask for a refill after dinner. When desert came my coffee was empty and was never offered more. Will not return as the service and atmosphere was unwelcoming. The food presentation and flavor was poor for the price.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank diner937
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Very good food and very nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have been here many times over the years, usually for special occasions. They do have great specials that are very reasonable, however, Mother's Day being one of them. The chef is a very friendly guy and we have had the same waiter for over five years; we always have a great time. Occasionally a dish can be a little less than perfect, but otherwise it is so consistently good that this doesn't matter to us. Take your time and enjoy the experience of delicious, unpretentious food.

• Visited May 2013
Chicago
“Jewel in a Corner”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My wife and I have been in Glen Ellyn for 3 years and have talked about goint to Bistro Monet. After years of talk, I decided we should go and we should go on Mother's Day. It was a wonderful experience. The food was excellent. The staff is superb. The ambiance (even with children ... our child included) was fun, romantic, and French-like. There is no pretention here. Every one is friendly. The chef comes out to talk with you about your meal too. I assume this happens when the place is empty because it happened with the place nearly full. We will certainly go back. Maybe the next time we go it will be sans kid and sans grandpa. If you are looking for a French food experience, go no further than Downtown Glen Ellyn. Of course, if you are not in Glen Ellyn, make a trip out. The Metra has a stop there and is fairly convenient from all points. You won't be disappointed in Bistro Monet. In fact, coming to Bistro Monet made me even more excited for my upcoming trip to 2nd to France.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ConstantTravels
Naperville, Illinois
“A True Gem”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This a true gem for a wonderful dining experience. From oustanding appetizers, to outstanding special, the Vichyssoise was truly outstanding. The entrees are excellent with great variety. The desserts are outstanding as well. A very good wine selection. The staff is attentive and Chef Michel is a wonderful host as well as chef. This is a place for a special event or just to relax and have a great meal. A memorable experience!

• Visited January 2013