“Great hotel”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is clean, budget friendly and well located. The staff has always been friendly. We have stayed here many times when we come to Glen Ellyn to visit family. It's is off a main road and easily accesses many needs, as well as being a short drive to either the Glen Ellyn or the Lombard train station to downtown Chicago.

Room Tip: Prices will fluctuate online. Watch them for several days, you can get a $20 difference in rate.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Carl C, Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear Trickeytricky,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our housekeeping department does a wonderful job of training the staff to ensure quality clean rooms and we thank you for mentioning how clean your room was. I will be sure to post your review for my entire staff to see. Hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

I used to live in Glen Ellyn and moved away 20 years ago. I believe this property was a run-down old Holiday Inn at the time we left. I was recently planning a visit to DuPage County and found the Crowne Plaza while looking for rooms. I was a little nervous about booking a room here, given what the property had been before, but I took the mostly positive reviews into account and made a reservation. I'm glad I did. The rate was reasonable for the area. Our room was clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the Crowne Plaza was and I will definitely stay there again when I'm visiting.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our hotel! I will be sure to pass your comments along to our entire staff. We look forward to your stay again when your travels bring you back to our area.

Wishing you safe travels,

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I started staying here three years ago while visiting his parents. We stay a couple of times per year. It's location is great; however, it will be the last time we stay. This hotel is tired and in need of updating. Every time we stay, something has to be pointed out to the front desk as needing to be corrected. Last time, we complained about black mold in the shower. It was never corrected. This time, we didn't bother telling the desk anything, and we just decided it would be our last stay. The wallpaper is popping and peeling in multiple locations throughout the rooms. The carpet is loose and causing large bulges down the hallway in several spots. There was multiple spots of dried toothpaste from previous guests on the wallpaper next to the sink and down the wall. They repositioned the shaving mirror and left the hole in the wall. The finish is coming off of the the mirror and vanity in several places. There were two of us registered and we had to keep sharing the glass, even though they would take the dirty one and leave one clean one in it's place. This morning, we found a spider on the ceiling of the bathroom. I'm normally pretty tolerant of hotel stays. However, the thing I can't tolerate is filth and a run down appearance, especially when this is supposed to be a more upscale hotel. The only thing I can say that is positive is that the staff was nice. I will say that this hotel is not disgusting or completely run down, and some would probably find it to be a nice hotel; however, it is a Crown Plaza and not up to their standards.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear MelandGeo,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for choosing to stay with us again. I humbly extend an apology over the condition of the entire property. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Crown Plaza is one of my favorite hotels to stay at. The entire staff are great, day and night staff. They greet you by name. Always smiling,Friendly. The rooms are always clean. I love the fitness center and pool. They have a water machines for free drinking water, which is great. I stay here often, and never had a complaint. They have a restaurant on site. The food is good. I recommend the crown Plaza for Business,couples,family.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Trimainew,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review concerning our hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoy your stays with us. I will also be sure to post your review for the entire staff to see that they make a difference in guest stays!

Regards,

Stacy, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a pleasant surprise. It was eloquently decorated with an earthy them. The restaurant was excellent. We had Mac and cheese with pulled pork it has actually won awards. The evening front desk staff, I believe her name was Jody, was one of the best service professionals I have encountered. My only complaint would be the lack of a hot tub in the pool area. Also notable is the truly handicap accessibility of this hotel. There is a pool lift for handicap guest. Pretty impressive. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear TransplantedMN,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your food in our award winning restaurant Glen Prairie! Our restaurant has been on "Top Chef" and "Chicago's Best" places to eat. I will be sure to let Jody know of your excellent comments regarding her customer service! I apologize that we do not have a hot tub in the pool area but my hope is that you enjoyed the rest of our pool area. Everyone here at the Crowne Plaza hopes to see you again in the near future!

Regards,

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

I enjoy this location when I come to visit my son at Wheaton College. It is a perfect spot for me. I enjoy the luxurious accommodations and the proximity to the places in the area I want and need to visit. I will come again.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Large, clean, and quiet rooms with new furnishings. Large indoor pool in a sun room like setting. Friendly and helpful describe the staff. Location is okay, but not much within walking distance. Food, gas and more within about a mile either way.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!