“First time staying here ... very impressed”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Illinois
“First time staying here ... very impressed”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here for the first time last nigh t and had a great experience. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room was very large and the bed was extra comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel was very convenient and the food was excellent. I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tklasinski
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear tklasinski,

I appreciate your wonderful comments about our staff and the quality of our hotel. It is also nice to see that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant Glen Prairie. The Glen Prairie restaurant was recognized as one of the top "20" places to eat by Chicago Magazine and we have also been spotlighted on our local television station WGN Chicago.

My best to you and your family,

CarlC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Keizer, Oregon
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very nice facility, The staff was very helpful. Due to the 24 hour cancellation policy ,inclement weather conditions and coming by train there had to be modifications to the reservation. There was a minor billing issue, but the staff was wonderful and took care of the issue. Exceptional staff, professional but yet not stuffy. The shuttle service is a very nice feature. Kathy was an excellent driver.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank skyhawk324
Hi Skyhawk 324,

It is comforting to read that my staff was able to assist you favorably with your reservation concerns. I will also let the shuttle driver know of your great comment regarding her service.

Wishing you safe travels,

Rochester
Reviewed 26 September 2013

As motels go, this is one of the better ones for a business meeting. I had a reservation and check-in was quick and smooth. Less that 2 minutes and I had my room key and directions to the amentities. This unit is right on a main thoroughfare, just west of Chicago. However, with all the traffic,it was quiet in the building. Every room has a refrigerator and microwave, as well as a coffee pot. There was complimentary coffee and newspapers in the lobby each morning.
From 5:30 to 6:30 PM there are complimentary soft drinks, wine and beer as well as hot snacks in the lobby.
One needs to be careful when taking a shower. The water temperature is hotter than you may expect.
Meals were provided for our meeting and they were able to accommodate special dietary needs.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Les E
Dear Les E,

Thank you for such a detailed review! the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove has approximately 10,000 square feet of meeting space and we are prepared to service all sorts of meetings. We have a complimentary shuttle that runs Monday-Friday in the morning from 7 am to 9 am and also from 2 pm to 10 pm which can take guests to local area businesses like Yorktown Shopping Mall, Oakbrook Mall and many of the areas dining choices. If you have not experienced our award winning restaurant Glen Prairie than this is a must the next time you visit. I am glad you were able to enjoy our nightly manager's reception which runs Monday - Thursdays from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Best regards,

Omaha, NE
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights on business. The rooms were decent, the front desk staff very courteous and the restaurant was pretty good as well.

I can't remember the last time I stayed at a Crowne Plaza and I was pleasantly surprised. Their rooms were clean and their free toiletries were outstanding. I know that might be a stupid thing to put in a review, but it made my stay great! I liked the products so much, I called the front desk to see if they sold full sizes (sadly, they do not). But 5 minutes after asking, there was a knock on my door and a member on the housekeeping staff brought me a bunch of extras!! Fabulous!

They also had free beer for happy hour in the evenings. I'm a sucker for a free beer at the end of a long work day. Keep up the good work, Crowne Plaza, your business travelers appreciate it!

• Stayed June 2013
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Hi LindseyLou,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff! The Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove just won the "Torchbearers" award for customer service which is an award given out by Intercontinental Hospitality Group for quality guest scores. We are very excited about this award and this is exactly why our team has won. I will be sure to let the team know of your great comments! It was also nice that you were able to enjoy our managers reception which we hold weekly Monday-Thursday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. This event really helps us get to know our guests and helps us better understand their needs. Thank you very much from taking time out of your day to writer your review.

Warm regards,

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights together with my boyfriend. The hotel is very nice and the rooms are great, modern and clean. Bathroom is a bit small but not bad. The bed was really nice and huge. The pool was great too and really spa like feeling with the music etc.
it was out first time to Chicago and it was a bit far away from downtown, but that's the only downside to this hotel! In the area nearby you'll find a lot of restaurants so it's very easy to find a new place to eat every night.
Would definitely come back to this hotel if I come to Chicago again!

• Stayed September 2013
Hi Melenehen,

Thank you for taking time to write a review concerning our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed our hotel and I am happy to see you were able to experience all the area has to offer. The next time you visit please dine in our award winning restaurant Glen Prairie it was featured on "Chicago's Best" places to eat. Check us out next time on Facebook and "like us".

Regards,

Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a business trip and stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. The bed was a little rough and the pillows were annoying. However, the room was fine overall. The restaurant's breakfast buffet that was included in our room price gradually got worse as the days went on. By the last morning, I chose to order off the menu and ordered a waffle. Should have saved my $7 and just got the fruit or a yogurt. We chose to eat in the restaurant on our final night because we were exhausted and it was the best meal of the entire trip. I had the flank steak and a couple of Bahama Mama's and everything including the bread and butter was AWESOME! Wake up calls are done when asked, the maid does a great job. They don't have snack machines, but do have Pepsi machines. They also had a small function each night we were there from 5:30-6:30 that had free drinks and apps. I didn't try it, but I saw several people down there each night.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Hi CristyG,

I read that you were not satisfied with the pillows in your room so the next time you stay with us please call down to the front desk so we can bring alternate pillows to your room. We do have another pillow option that may work out better for you. Also I read that the breakfast buffet was not to your liking and progressively got worse throughout your stay so I passed this information along to the restaurant manager and the chef. They will be addressing this issue to determine what they can change to improve, thank you very much for mentioning this in your review. I am sorry that you did not get to enjoy our complimentary managers reception but glad to hear you had an excellent dinner in our restaurant Glen Prairie.

Thanks again for all your comments as they help us to improve.

Regards,

Indianapolis
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

What a lovely hotel. It is obviously an older hotel but has been redone with very high end finishes and great design. The room was spacious although the bathroom was tight. Even so, the bathroom was newly designed to make the best possible use of the space available. We took advantage of the suggestion of another post and asked for a room away from Roosevelt and didn't hear any traffic noise or any noise for that matter. The desk staff was very professional and attentive. We had the breakfast buffet and found it average but there is also a menu that looked much better. On a weekend morning the restaurant seemed understaffed - however the wait staff were very professional and friendly. The buffet was adequate, and the fruit was better than average. The eating area was superior to most hotel breakfast bars.

We will definitely be back.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Chardob,

I saw your comment regarding a previous review and I am glad this helped you during your stay! I also noticed that you stated our breakfast buffet was just average. I want to let you know that we don't like average here at the Crowne Plaza and as in a previous review I have already addressed the buffet issues with my restaurant manager and chef so you can expect immediate improvement in this area. I always say that average gets noticed but quality creates loyalty and the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers grove is about quality! I also want to thank you for the kind comments about our staff we have a great team here and it shows!

Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!