“Beautiful Hotel, Terrible Service”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My experience with the Crowne Plaza, Glen Ellyn staff was very disappointing. I planned to reserve my wedding block, after-hours event, and "bon voyage" breakfast here, but I had to cancel due to the unresponsive staff that I was working with. Planning a wedding is already stressful and that last thing you need is to have disorganization and chaos from your hotel - especially since they will be accommodating many of your guests!

To make a long story short, after months from trying to get my questions answered and obtain correct contracts for my event - I had to back out. I expressed my dissatisfaction on two occasions to the event manager I was working with. Nothing had been done to address the untimely responses or correct the mixed-answers I was receiving. It was an extremely disappointing situation. Finally, after waiting 3 week for an overdue contract I contacted this woman's manager. Again, nothing was done to correct the situation or even attempt to justify or excuse this unacceptable service we were receiving.

My advice: Be cautious if you are planning an event here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Liz R
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear LizR,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am extremely sorry that you were having issues with the hotel. It was great speaking to you on the phone the other day and I was happy that I got the chance to meet you and your fiancé at the hotel. I hope everything was explained to your satisfaction by me and it is my hope that we can resolve the issues that you experienced and move forward with your plans. Our goal is 100% satisfaction and I am positive we can rectify all the issues you experienced. I have also had discussions with my staff to prevent issues like these in the future. I look forward to hearing from you soon and hope we can be part of making your special day the best!

Best wishes,

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel over the weekend (Fri-Sun). The room was very loud - I heard the noise from the busy street (Roosevelt Rd), other guests shutting their doors and flushing toilets. I was disappointed with the lack of complementary coffee in the lobby and the breakfast buffet not starting until 7 am on the weekend. It was a work related stay for me, and I had to leave the hotel before 7 am, looking for Starbucks. Will not stay there again.
The room was clean and the bed was comfy, but I did not get a good night sleep because of the noises.

Room Tip: My room was on 3rd floor and it was super loud from the street noises .
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SavyTraveler11234
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Savy Traveler 11234,

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide feedback regarding your stay. I want to ensure you that I have brought up your concerns with my staff. Coffee is now offered complimentary in our lobby on the weekends and is available at 6:30 am. Also if you require coffee earlier the front desk will be more than happy to accommodate you. It is important to remedy issues that guests bring to our attention so we can provide the service you expect from a Crowne Plaza. We continue to refine our service and quality from guests comments such as yours to ensure customer satisfaction. We hope when your travels bring you back to our area you will choose us again to see how your comments have impacted the way we look at our service. If you would like to discuss your issues further please contact me at your convenience. My sincere apologies for your issues.

Wishing you and your family a happy holiday season!

General manager

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We recently stayed here for a hockey trip and the room was overall nice with a fair price. We did find areas that that needed to be vacuumed better since we found food from the last guests. The front desk staff was very slow and not overly polite. They offered a VERY overpriced breakfast buffet to the hockey team with barely any food choices. My wife and u ate in the restaurant and the food was good but wow did it take forever to get breakfast. The server lady at the buffet was crabby and looked like she hated her job. They had on site security and boy did they have an ego. We asked a question and boy you would have thought we asked him for money. Would I go back? No since there are so many other choices.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King Sweet, it is worth the price.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Toddamy,

I apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel during your stay. The breakfast buffet was available in the restaurant however the hotel set up a separate buffet in one of our banquet rooms and this was communicated to the tournament director. The tournament director did contact us and make some changes to the breakfast buffet and we corrected this the very next day and changed the choices to the ones that were preferred by the group, we experienced no issues the following day with the buffet. The tournament director also set up a discounted rate for the breakfast buffet which was available for purchase at the front desk. I also phoned the security company to inform them of the issues you experienced with our security staff and they are being addressed. I have shared your review with my staff regarding their friendliness, it is my hope this will help them improve the guest experience. While I understand there are many choices out there for lodging it is my hope that you will return to our hotel to see that we truly value your survey and strive to correct issues that guests may have. Thank you for taking the time to fill out this survey.

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 October 2013

My stay at the hotel was a great experience, was there for friends wedding and the staff was terrific. They were extremely helpful and went way beyond any expectations to meet our needs and requests. Our room was exceptional and the best beds I have ever experienced in a hotel. Would highly recommend this place to everyone, especially if they are planning any kind of event.

• Stayed: October 2013
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Dear Farmguy301,

Thank you very much fro the great comments regarding our staff. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon when your travels bring you back to our area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 19 October 2013

The room was huge and very tastefully decorated. The staff was very friendly and helpful providing some extra information on the general area. The bed was plush and provided a wonderful nights sleep. The hotel itself is beautiful on the inside. Room was clean and furnishings appeared nearly new.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dennis F
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the wonderful review and I am glad that you were able to enjoy our hotel! Thanks for the staff helpfulness comments but this falls right in line with our recent accomplishment which is that we have just won the "Torchbearers Award" for customer service and quality from Intercontinental Hotels Group and we pride ourselves on customer service! It was a pleasure to read that you favored our bedding and furnishings.

I appreciate you choosing us for your lodging needs as I know there are many choices out there. As I stated we try our best to go above and beyond for guests and I am happy to post your review for the entire staff to see and let them know how there efforts pay off for the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove!

Best regards,

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed here for the first time last nigh t and had a great experience. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room was very large and the bed was extra comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel was very convenient and the food was excellent. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank tklasinski

Dear tklasinski,

I appreciate your wonderful comments about our staff and the quality of our hotel. It is also nice to see that you enjoyed your dining experience in our restaurant Glen Prairie. The Glen Prairie restaurant was recognized as one of the top "20" places to eat by Chicago Magazine and we have also been spotlighted on our local television station WGN Chicago.

My best to you and your family,

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Very nice facility, The staff was very helpful. Due to the 24 hour cancellation policy ,inclement weather conditions and coming by train there had to be modifications to the reservation. There was a minor billing issue, but the staff was wonderful and took care of the issue. Exceptional staff, professional but yet not stuffy. The shuttle service is a very nice feature. Kathy was an excellent driver.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank skyhawk324

Hi Skyhawk 324,

It is comforting to read that my staff was able to assist you favorably with your reservation concerns. I will also let the shuttle driver know of your great comment regarding her service.

Wishing you safe travels,

Comfort Suites Lombard
#7 of 10 in Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
SureStay Plus Hotel Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!