Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This hotel was very nice because the rooms were very clean, bathroom well designed & up-to-date with granite countertop & shower(not cramped), good quality beds & good sound insulation from outside traffic. Hotel staff very friendly, very helpful & accommodating. Allowed me to switch rooms without a hassle, due to faulty toilet. Only complaint is the light that comes into room at the top of the curtains at nighttime, from outside lights. It made it hard to sleep with the amount of light that came in from the top of the curtains throughout the night. The breakfast buffet is ok. I have had better & I have had worse. The eggs are reconstituted eggs, but great bacon. The quality of the baked goods could be better, but passable. Overall, though, I will probably stay here again, because of the overall quality and because they have a great shuttle service! The lady who drives the shuttle, Kathy, is very friendly, very helpful and very punctual. Couldn't ask for a better complimentary transportation service!

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool probably are darker at nighttime, making it easier to sleep well.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jean H
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear JeanH,

What a great tip for future travelers concerning the light coming into the rooms! However there are drape clips on the drapes in which you would be able to fasten the drapes close to prevent light from entering the room and you can inquire with the front desk concerning the drape clips. I will be sure to let our chef know about your comments regarding the buffet. I know he takes great pride in his restaurant and will take actions to review and improve where necessary.

Thanks again for the tips!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The good - For the most part the rooms were clean, staff was nice, hotel was pretty quiet.

The bad - It's hard to just ignore the fact that there were someone else's clothes left behind on the floor of the room when I arrived. They appeared to have some type of reception in the lobby, but it was very small and takes place about three feet from the entrance door. and during busy traffic times, the street at the hotel is a nightmare - impossible to get in or out of if you're turning left and crossing lanes of traffic.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tc3399

Dear tc3399,

I will be sure to let the housekeeping staff know of your comment regarding that the rooms are clean but I will also mention that you had found someones articles of clothing on the floor. All rooms are cleaned and reispected by the executive housekeeper and I will be sure to review their procedures regarding the inspections to prevent this in the future. In regards to the reception in the lobby near the entrance door this is our guest reception that we hold Monday-Thursday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm in which we serve light appetizers, beer, soda and wine to all our guests that attend. During your next stay be sure to visit us at our reception.

Regarding your comment of the difficulty of exiting the hotel your comment is the truth it is very difficult to cross traffic if not impossible however for your future stays instead of exiting on the South side of the building you can exit on the East side of the building and it is very easy to exit here. Then you have the convenience of the stop light at the corner of Finley and Roosevelt road which makes it easy to go left or right. This is where I exit and it is much safer during the rush hour. I hope this helps!!!

Thank you for reviewing our hotel!

Best regards,

Reviewed 14 February 2014

This hotel is excellent in every way. Very clean and very hospitable. The staff is awesome! There is a one hour happy hour with free alcoholic drinks during the week, which is much appreciated. I was able to meet the group and restaurant manager during this time. Beds were just OK. There was a refrigerator provided in my room, microwaves for lease, and plenty of light in the bathroom. They also have a gourmet restaurant, Glen Prairie, attached to the hotel which is worth eating every meal at. They have plenty of local brews. The breakfast buffet is OK. I stayed during winter storms and they promptly plowed the parking lots. I will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: I stayed on the back of the hotel which was quite nice. I'm sure every room is great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Hippo5,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The managers reception which is held weekly from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm is a great way to meet our guests and I am glad you took advantage of this oppurtunity. I will pass on your comments to our restuarant staff on how much you enjoyed our award winning restaurant Glen Prairie.

Have a great day!

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed here for one night. The non-stop winter storms had left my family feeling some major cabin fever. We wanted to treat the kids to an overnight with pool time. This hotel is superior in every way. The staff, especially Mary at the front desk, is very attentive to every need. I booked the room to include 2 adult breakfast at the restaurant located within the hotel. I highly recommend the hotel and the restaurant! You won't go wrong staying here. One bit of advise however, the website states that the superior 2 queen rooms have sleeper sofas. They do not. Mary kindly sent a roll away bed for us.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear luvthesun522,

This is the place when you have cabin fever! I am happy you could get away with your family and enjoy our great pool and facilty. Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to your return.

Regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

By far one of the best hotel experiences I've had. The entire staff is dedicated to providing service that over delivers. Jodie, at the front desk, will go above and beyond to make sure your stay is exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank GoConfidently1

Dear GoConfidently1,

I appreciate you taking the time to mention Jodi by name. She receives many compliments regarding her service and she will be happy to hear that she was mentioned in a survey. It's great to read that you enjoyed your stay. When you return to our hotel make sure you check out our restaurant Glen Prairie, it is an award winning restaurant and you are sure to enjoy the selections.

Wishing you safe travels,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

A very nice property that has been nicely renovated. The best service, great rooms, comfy beds, and the restaurant was very pleasant too. I can't say enough about the front desk staff, and their effort to make sure everything was as it should be. Top Notch

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sailorjeff

Hi Sailorjeff,

Thanks for the great review and I will be sure to let the front desk know how happy you were with their service! The front desk is a great team and they really work together to ensure everyone is taken care of here at the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove.

Bet you can't wait for summer to get back on the water!

Thanks again,

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We needed to spend a cold and rainy weekend in the Glen Ellyn/Wheaton area for a family function and chose the Crowne Plaza for its central location. We were not disappointed with our choice.
The staff greeted us with smiles and a warm welcome. The check-in was smooth and our request for adjoining rooms was easily met.
The rooms were clean and (for the most part) comfortable. The mattresses were a bit firmer than we would have liked, but the bed was clean and fresh smelling, always a plus.
The bathroom was immaculate. We have stayed in more expensive/higher profile hotels where this was not the case. Its obvious that the Housekeeping staff take their jobs seriously and turn out an excellent room.
The hotel's restaurant leaves something to be desired. You can read about that in its own review.
We highly recommend this hotel, especially for families with children

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back end of the property are quieter (no road noise.)
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank revrpb619

Hi The rev619,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay! It also is is a pleasure to see that you were happy with the cleanliness of your room. I want to thank you for mentioning the housekeeping department as so often they are forgotten about when they really work hard to provide everyone with a clean freash stay so you can enjoy our home while you are away from yours.

I will be sure to look for the review on the restaurant so please feel confident that I will address this with both the chef and the restaurant manager. We are an award winning restaurant and have been featured on WGN television and we were also rated as the top ten places to eat by Chicago Magazine so thank you for your feedback which will allow us to address the issue and correct.

Thanks again for taking the time to review us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
#3 of 7 in Downers Grove
3 mi away
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Holiday Inn Express Chicago Downers Grove

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!