“Great staff and lovely rooms. We choose this hotel each time we visit the Chicago area”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed at this property several times and even attended a wedding here. The staff has always been great. We have taken part in the Manager's Reception (we wish they had them on weekends!) and love the food at the Glen Prairie attached to the hotel. AMAZING! I would highly recommend this hotel. I have stayed in downtown Chicago as well, and prefer the less hectic area around the Crowne Plaza and the free parking is a bonus. It only took us a little over half an hour to get to downtown Chicago.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CdnKat67
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hi cdnKat67,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's fabulous that you mentioned what a great meal you had in our restaurant Glen Prairie. Glen Prairie has been featured in "Chicago's Best" magazine and also on the local television station "WGN". Chef Dan Ovanin changes the menu frequently as the restaurant has a "Farm to Table" concept and he uses everything he can that is in season and is produced locally. The other great feature of his menu items is that almost everything can be prepared Gluten Free! We receive many comments about how close the city of Chicago is to us and that we are extemely convenient to the city. I will be sure to post your review in our employee breakroom so everyone can see your great comment about the staff here at the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove.

Best wishes,

Carl C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Nashville, TN USA
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is not bad, but I noticed upon arrival the old building facade and my perception was the parking lot was run down.
The lobby was clean and orderly but offered no warmth.
The single person working reception called out to me and I felt an echo in the lobby.
Elevator was old. Room was completely updated. I was surprised to fine the heating worked great and I appreciated that.
Internet was included and reasonably fast.
I ordered room service and the food was tasty.
The hotel met my needs for a room for the night, but I saw no good reason to try it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pine129
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear pine129,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your valuable comments and be assured that these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

First of all, the address on the hotel's website has it in one city, but upon not finding a hotel where the address said it would be, I grew concerned... so I called the hotel. I was told that because the hotel's parking lot is in Lombard, that was the actual address for GPS. I told them GPS is only as good as the info that is put into it, and perhaps they should have their website put the correct city!!! Just a thought.

Now on up to my room. It is a king size room - with a work desk (directly under the wall mounted TV) and a loveseat the Jefferson's might have liked - but it came with a large ottoman as well so it was fairly comfortable.

The first thing I do when I get into my room is to turn the thermostat down and set it to about 64 degrees, no matter the weather or time of year. Today was no different. I found the "thermostat" which was really a "hot - off - cold" selector coupled with a fan switch. I turned it to cool and spun the knob as far into the cool range as it would go. Nothing. I wait a little while. I paint my fingernails, and realize it has gotten no cooler. I call the front desk. I was told "I am so sorry, but our hotel is controlled by a computer and there is nothing we can do about the temperature. The only thing i can tell you is to open a window." Uh, come again? When was the last time anyone had a hotel room in which the windows could be opened...? But I went over to the window and sure enough -- I could open it about 3 inches. Did I mention I am in Chicago? In March?? Typically, this would not be possible or inviting, but today was a high of nearly 60 degrees so the air felt wonderful. But not having any voyeuristic tendencies myself, I had to shut the heavy curtains and turn on some lights so I could get some things done. So much for the cool breeze!

Oh, and the manager's reception? There were some tired & dried out looking southwestern (?) eggroll type food, and some chips and a little bit of salsa. There was all the beer & wine I could have wanted, but I had to beg for water...

I know what you're thinking... jeez, Libby, can't you say anything nice about anything? Sure I can. The pillows are nice, and I am only staying one night... that's two things.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Libby S
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Libby S,

I want to start out by saying I am sorry your stay started out poorly by not being able to find the hotel. I have corrected this issue on Google maps and I am currently looking into why the GPS system provides directions incorrectly I am unsure that the address issue is the true reason for this not being accurate.

Regarding the heat and air conditioning, the system is designed to work both in the heat mode and cold mode so if there was an issue with your room not cooling off the front desk agent should have contacted engineering to rectify the issue. I apologize for this not happening but be assured that I had the engineering department review with the front desk how the system works along with them checking our system to ensure the system is working correctly. Thank you for bringing this up to us so we can ensure this does not happen again to you or anyone else.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the managers reception but we have different choices daily and I have had the chef review his offerings the night you attended. I have also spoken with the restaurant manager to ensure we have water available for all guests as well as the other beverages.

I hope you will accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and if you wish to discuss them further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and ask for extension 1265.

Wishing you safe travels,

Central IL
Reviewed 10 March 2014

First time at this hotel and it won't be the last. Super cute room. If you travel a lot (or a little), you will appreciate the boutique-like look of the room. Super comfy couch. Huge desk which is awesome. The staff was great! Fastest check-in ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Coldfeet52,

Glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel! I will make sure to let the staff know of your wonderful comments regarding the service they provide. We look forward to your return!

Best regards,

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I booked a Valentine's day weekend at this hotel, only expecting a comfortable room.

First impression was a modern and bright lobby. Check in was fast and efficient, Mary was great.

We were given a very spacious room, modern. Bathroom was spacious, stand up shower with granite accents. It was very comfortable and I loved the modern design.

We used the pool, very large, and the pool area was decorated with exposed wooden beams and stone walls. Indoor and mildly warm.

Managers reception was not available during weekend, so we were issued drink tickets and went to the bar. Also loved the decor. Did not have dinner, just drinks and dessert and found service very good. Very contemporary.

Next morning we had buffet breakfast. The coffee was great, i like bold dark roast and this was lavazza. There is free coffee in lobby every morning. Breakfast was just ok, it was a bit cold. $14 per person.

Overall I found this place very relaxing, fully enjoyed my valentines day staycation. I was amazed at modern decor and found it odd to find this type of hotel in suburbia. Great rate so I found great value.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms face the inside of hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ORD-TGU
Dear ORD-TGU,

Thanks for taking the time to fill out our survey and providing so much information! I have spoken to the chef about the breakfast buffet as well as the restaurant manager so they can make the necessary changes to improve the quality and also the value. I am glad you were able to enjoy all the amenties the hotel has to offer and we look forward to your return.

Thanks again for the great inforamtion!

Hinsdale, Illinois
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This hotel is conveniently close to I-355 - an easy access to Chicago & its western suburbs. It was previously a Holiday Inn hotel & was remodeled as the Crowne Plaza a couple of years ago. They did a beautiful job on it. The hotel clerk was nice to offer me a large upgraded 1-bedroom suite, a late 2PM checkout & a hot buffet breakfast. There is also a manager's reception for all guests, Monday - Thursday with complimentary snacks & beverages. I highly recommend this place for visitors wishing a comfortable stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room away from the busy street (Roosevelt Rd.). North side of the hotel is quiet...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Richard P
Dear RichardP,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It's wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay especially the upgraded room. If you are an IHG rewards member you will always be upgraded a room type when this is available at the hotel. Also if you are an IHG rewards member we have an excellent point package where you will earn an additional 10,000 points for your stay and you can call the hotel for details. These addtional points will allow you to purchase many items on the IHG Rewards website. Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to your next stay.

Regards,

Draper, Utah, United States
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Here on business. They had a good breakfast in the morning. Clean rooms. Fridges in rooms. Good enough gym, free weights. The view isn't the best, well there isn't one. The staff is very polite and professional and the meeting rooms are satisfactory.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor so your room isn't right in front of the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chris C,

Thanks for the review of our hotel and I am glad to read you had a good business stay. Also I see that you enjoyed the breakfast but if you get a chance to eat in our Glen Prairie restaurant in the evening you can't go wrong. We have been voted by "Chicago Magazine" as the top 10 places to eat and also have been featured on the local television station WGN.

Best Regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!