“Most comfortable bed this year!”

Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Boston, Massachusetts
“Most comfortable bed this year!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here twice in May. Most comfortable bed this year! The hotel restaurant is an eclectic mix of small plates and full meals. Had the duck tacos 3 nicely filled and tasty. My friend had the salmon - very moist. We spilt a Creme Brulee for dessert - outstanding!
Great overall experience!

• Stayed May 2014
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hi bsullivan36,

My staff and I are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as our award winning restuarant Glen Prairie! You picked a great dish to try "Duck Tacos" they are one of my favorites. We look forward to your next visit and if you require any information about our hotel or restaurant please do not hesitate to reach out to me at your convenience.

Wishing you safe travels,

CarlC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Detroit
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Arrived at the hotel and saw the exterior and thought we had made a mistake as it looked dated. Walked inside and what a great difference. Lobby was very nice as were the employees. Our room, on the third floor, was a corner suite with separate living room and 2 tv's. The bed was very comfortable, with plenty of pillows. The bathroom was large with a tub and a walk-in shower which was huge with 2 rain shower heads and a hand held. The breakfast buffet was the weak point of the stay. Our server was not good with bringing drinks and refills, but others seem to have had better luck with different servers. Scrambled eggs were cold and dry and the bacon was cold and limp. They have a nice indoor swimming pool and a small weight room with 2 treadmills and dumbbells. Parking was free and adequate.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarlGS455
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear CarlGS455,

It's great to read that when you entered the hotel you enjoyed the hotel as well as the employees. The employees work hard to do everything they can to provide a great experience to all our guests. I want to let you know I will address the issues you experienced at breakfast. The chef has been trying different ideas to make the buffet breakfast a better experience and I know he will value your feedback. It's great you were able to enjoy one of our suites and that you had a great experience in our hotel.

I know there are many places to choose for your lodging needs and my team and I are happy you stayed with us!

Thanks for the great feedback!

Chicago and Rome
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My suite was roomy enough for a family and clean enough to please Great Aunt Frances who seriously gave the white glove test to everyone's dusting. And, comfortable! I especially appreciated the pool that has huge windows looking out over greenery, not parking lots. As most of the Chicago Metro area is paved, this was a very welcome sight. Complimentary rides to local restaurants and the Metra Station are another plus -- and making the hotel an affordable location for day trips to Chicago.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi carolstig,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel and I it's great to hear that we passed all the cleanliness tests with your Great Aunt Frances! I will be sure to let the housekeeping department know that all their efforts are appreciated. I was also happy to hear that you enjoyed our large pool and the nice view it has of our decorated patio.

We all look forward to your future return!

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed at this property several times and even attended a wedding here. The staff has always been great. We have taken part in the Manager's Reception (we wish they had them on weekends!) and love the food at the Glen Prairie attached to the hotel. AMAZING! I would highly recommend this hotel. I have stayed in downtown Chicago as well, and prefer the less hectic area around the Crowne Plaza and the free parking is a bonus. It only took us a little over half an hour to get to downtown Chicago.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CdnKat67
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Hi cdnKat67,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It's fabulous that you mentioned what a great meal you had in our restaurant Glen Prairie. Glen Prairie has been featured in "Chicago's Best" magazine and also on the local television station "WGN". Chef Dan Ovanin changes the menu frequently as the restaurant has a "Farm to Table" concept and he uses everything he can that is in season and is produced locally. The other great feature of his menu items is that almost everything can be prepared Gluten Free! We receive many comments about how close the city of Chicago is to us and that we are extemely convenient to the city. I will be sure to post your review in our employee breakroom so everyone can see your great comment about the staff here at the Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove.

Best wishes,

Carl C
Nashville, TN USA
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel is not bad, but I noticed upon arrival the old building facade and my perception was the parking lot was run down.
The lobby was clean and orderly but offered no warmth.
The single person working reception called out to me and I felt an echo in the lobby.
Elevator was old. Room was completely updated. I was surprised to fine the heating worked great and I appreciated that.
Internet was included and reasonably fast.
I ordered room service and the food was tasty.
The hotel met my needs for a room for the night, but I saw no good reason to try it again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pine129
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear pine129,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your valuable comments and be assured that these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bloomington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 10 March 2014

First of all, the address on the hotel's website has it in one city, but upon not finding a hotel where the address said it would be, I grew concerned... so I called the hotel. I was told that because the hotel's parking lot is in Lombard, that was the actual address for GPS. I told them GPS is only as good as the info that is put into it, and perhaps they should have their website put the correct city!!! Just a thought.

Now on up to my room. It is a king size room - with a work desk (directly under the wall mounted TV) and a loveseat the Jefferson's might have liked - but it came with a large ottoman as well so it was fairly comfortable.

The first thing I do when I get into my room is to turn the thermostat down and set it to about 64 degrees, no matter the weather or time of year. Today was no different. I found the "thermostat" which was really a "hot - off - cold" selector coupled with a fan switch. I turned it to cool and spun the knob as far into the cool range as it would go. Nothing. I wait a little while. I paint my fingernails, and realize it has gotten no cooler. I call the front desk. I was told "I am so sorry, but our hotel is controlled by a computer and there is nothing we can do about the temperature. The only thing i can tell you is to open a window." Uh, come again? When was the last time anyone had a hotel room in which the windows could be opened...? But I went over to the window and sure enough -- I could open it about 3 inches. Did I mention I am in Chicago? In March?? Typically, this would not be possible or inviting, but today was a high of nearly 60 degrees so the air felt wonderful. But not having any voyeuristic tendencies myself, I had to shut the heavy curtains and turn on some lights so I could get some things done. So much for the cool breeze!

Oh, and the manager's reception? There were some tired & dried out looking southwestern (?) eggroll type food, and some chips and a little bit of salsa. There was all the beer & wine I could have wanted, but I had to beg for water...

I know what you're thinking... jeez, Libby, can't you say anything nice about anything? Sure I can. The pillows are nice, and I am only staying one night... that's two things.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Libby S
Carl C, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Libby S,

I want to start out by saying I am sorry your stay started out poorly by not being able to find the hotel. I have corrected this issue on Google maps and I am currently looking into why the GPS system provides directions incorrectly I am unsure that the address issue is the true reason for this not being accurate.

Regarding the heat and air conditioning, the system is designed to work both in the heat mode and cold mode so if there was an issue with your room not cooling off the front desk agent should have contacted engineering to rectify the issue. I apologize for this not happening but be assured that I had the engineering department review with the front desk how the system works along with them checking our system to ensure the system is working correctly. Thank you for bringing this up to us so we can ensure this does not happen again to you or anyone else.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the managers reception but we have different choices daily and I have had the chef review his offerings the night you attended. I have also spoken with the restaurant manager to ensure we have water available for all guests as well as the other beverages.

I hope you will accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and if you wish to discuss them further please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel and ask for extension 1265.

Wishing you safe travels,

Central IL
Reviewed 10 March 2014

First time at this hotel and it won't be the last. Super cute room. If you travel a lot (or a little), you will appreciate the boutique-like look of the room. Super comfy couch. Huge desk which is awesome. The staff was great! Fastest check-in ever.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Coldfeet52,

Glad to read that you enjoyed our hotel! I will make sure to let the staff know of your wonderful comments regarding the service they provide. We look forward to your return!

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Hyatt Place Chicago/Lombard
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
The Westin Lombard Yorktown Center
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Chicago Marriott Suites Downers Grove
Residence Inn Chicago Lombard

Been to Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove? Share your experiences!