“Quite Good for a Hotel Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glen Prairie

Glen Prairie
Reserve with OpenTable
Glen Prairie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 92 Restaurants in Glen Ellyn
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Finley
Chicago, IL
“Quite Good for a Hotel Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We chose Glen Prairie mostly for its location (not a great reason, I know) because we were meeting some people and it was a "halfway point" for us both. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Glen Prairie uses farm fresh local ingredients where possible. It showed positively in the food.

For appetizers, two items really stood out. The barbecue pork flatbread smelled and tasted very smoky, just like a campfire. It was really pleasant! The stuffed mushrooms were also very good, and somewhat reminiscent of the Chinese-American "crab rangoon" that you find at some oriental restaurants.

For entrees, the chervil crusted pike was OK. The mac and cheese that came with it really did not agree with me. It was overly rich in a fatty sense. It was made with a bright orange colored, sharp cheese that combined with the Ritz (?) cracker crumb topping (which was way too thick) in a really bad way. I honestly couldn't eat it.

Another entree at our table, that I sampled, was the pork tenderloin. It had a great flavor, was tender, and very good.

Service was OK. Atmosphere was definitely that of a hotel restaurant. Not bad, but not great. Remember, though, that our choice was for the location, and that worked out fine for us.

Price was not terrible, but still I felt it was a bit high for the "OK" service and only-fair atmosphere. These factors combined with the very unusual mac-n-cheese get this one only three stars, maybe 3-1/2.

• Visited July 2011

Lombard, Illinois
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

We were surprised to find such a unique restaurant that is located in a hotel - in the suburbs none the less! I love their menu because it is not so huge that it takes forever to decide what to get. Everything we've ever had there is amazing. They get their ingredients from local farmers as much as possible. They also have organic selections and are happy to customize any of their dishes. Some of my favorites are their tempura green beans, the mac and cheese, and the chervil crusted pike. Incredible! They have an impressive wine selection, but you can also bring in your own bottle and pay a minimal $10 corkage fee.

Visited April 2011
2 Thank jschager
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice atmosphere, good food, but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2010

We ate dinner here while staying at the Crowne Plaza Hotel it is connected to. We had a beer, a cocktail and two entrees for $43 with tip, but this price included a 15 percent discount as hotel guests.

The food was good but not superb. Our waiter provided good service but was not overly friendly. The portions were adequate. The atmosphere was very nice as the restaurant is decorated quite tastefully.

This seemed to be the only quality sit-down restaurant in the area, which is the main reason we chose it.

We also ate breakfast here (compliments of the hotel), and I highly recommend the cornflake-crusted french toast with fresh fruit. It was delicious.

Chicago IL
“Great value, great atmosphere, great food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

My wife chose this restaurant for her birthday and we literally had no clue as to what kind of place Glen Prairie was. We live nearby and had noticed it from the road but knew nothing more. She could not have been more pleased! Glen Prairie prides itself on locally grown, locally produced food and drink. I had their meatloaf and it was excellent. They have Goose Island and Two Brothers Beer on tap. My wife appreciated that they had Goose Island's Matilda on tap. My brother and sister loved their meals and the bill came out pretty fairly. The atmosphere is very sophisticated without being overwhelming. I appreciated the fact that they only had one television on the wall (near the bar) which focused the diner's attention on the food and conversation at the table. Overall I would recommend this place strongly and we cannot wait to go back!

Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
“Very good spot for the bang of buck”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

This restaurant is connected to the Crowne Plaza hotel, formerly a Holiday Inn, and has been PERFECTLY renovated. The food is made to order and is nicely presented. The drinks at the bar are twice as nice as well as the desserts.