“Disgusting rooms, even worse service and BED BUGS.”

Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Chicago, Illinois
“Disgusting rooms, even worse service and BED BUGS.”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE PLACE. What a horrible,disgusting, truly terrible place. There were bed bugs and when we complained they accused us of lying and trying to get a free room. They wouldn't apologise or refund us. This place should be shut down. The staff are horrible, the rooms are horrible and management obviously has no standards.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank happiercamping

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Philadelphia
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Get the idea when the Guest Service employees and manager says they would "Never stay here!"

We didn't stay even after 2 room changes in an hour. Definitely a "by the hour" place for pros.

Enough said.

Room Tip: stay away!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Rebecca T
Scarborough, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

Should always check reviews before booking hotel on-line.
the clue should have been the armed police officer in reception, or maybe the bed bugs crawling in the bed, or the splinted door jamb that didn't secure the door or the broken blinds, heaters, lights, floor tiles, to the stink of mould, to the unsavory people hanging around, to the smell of burning drugs...the list doesn't stop..We ran away so fast and did'nt stay. A Dive, a flop house..no words can truly describe how horrible this place really is. DO NOT EVER THINK ABOUT STAYING HERE..If it is too cheap then the hotel is too cheap.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank rmcooke
DEKALB
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed here in August 2011. Next day, discovered some bed bug bites. Went to dr. on day three, confirmed it was bed bugs. I ended up with over 110 bites, and on day 5, my wife had a few less, but hers itched more. We had not stayed anywhere else but home for three-4 weeks prior to this. Hotel was not proactive, did refund $50 cost of stay, but did not cover $250 costs for treating my home, after we got more bites 2-3 weeks later. Hope we're in the clear now, and the parent company, Americas Best Value Inn, never responded to 2 detail e-mails and photos sent via their electronic correspondence directions. FYI, bed bugs can go a year without eating, bites can take 9 days to show up, and they're hard to get rid of. Also, you don't feel the bites when they occur. It is still difficult to sleep at night sometimes.

Do not stay at this hotel. Dirty, poorly maintained, damaged furnishings, & stained bedding, floors, and fixtures. My worst hotel experience in 30 years.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank MarkMDeKalb_IL
Macomb, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The other reviews do not properly describe just how bad this place is. It is very, very bad! There are many poeple staying there that have no other place to go (cheep monthly rates too). The smell of people cooking food is everywhere. The bathrom sells like it is nver cleaned. I can not believe the Glen Elly allows them to stay in business. Glen Elly is so nice and up scale and this place should be condemed. Do not stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Peter J
Rockford, Illnois
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I was getting married on September 10th and was planning on staying at this hotel for the wedding. I also had about 40 poeple as well planning on staying here. When we arrived at the hotel it looked HORRIBLE! There where windows hanging from the side of the building. The outside had trash all over the place. We where in a hurry so we paid for the room and left to have dinner. When we returned we went to our rooms and found a disaster. There was an aweful smell in the rooms and hallway. There were cords pluged into extension cords and hangning everywhere. You could not close the bathroom because the light was pluged into an outlet outside of the door. When we pulled back the sheets we also found a MASSIVE amount of bedbugs in our mattress. So in turn we went to the lobby to get our money back. The manager said that he could return half of our money but since it took us so long to come and complain that he would not return the remaining amount of money. The manager also insluted us saying that people of our class may expect a higher quality of rooms. The manager also was then speaking to the other manager on the phone and laughing at us because we had wanted our money back. When he got off the phone with the other manager he told me that I had to come back in the morning and speak to him. I explained to him yet again that I was getting married and would be unable to come back that day. They also told us that the maids were sick so they were unable to give us a clean room. There were also problems with the rest of my bridal parties rooms. They found mens underwear under the bed. There was mold in the bathroom. The locks did not lock on the door and there was a smell of cat urine in the hallway. The picture on the website looks nothing like what the hotel looks like in person which is false advertisement. It was the worst experience of my life and this was supposed to be the happiest time of my life since I was getting married. I have NEVER been disrepected like I was at this hotel. I will tell EVERYONE what service I received from you and NONE of my friends and family will ever stay there. Because of the service I have recieved you have lost out on 40 people staying at your hotel. My husband and I were also planning on staying for several nights as well since it would be our honeymoon. We have called several times and tried to get our money back and they refuse to help us. One of the managers names was Omar and I did not get the name of the other manager. I will also be telling the BBB about this hotel and posting it on facebook. I will go to EVERY hotel website as well and post what I experienced as a bride on the eve of my wedding day!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank katieaya121
Alliston, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Very run down - no maintenance for years, if ever - dirty- bugs seen in room - since I had booked on line I asked to see the room before checking in - we refused to stay and he says he is charging me for one night despite the fact that he first told me there would be no charges if we left - he was Indian and spoke English poorly - there was little, if any sound attenuation between rooms or hallways - and very unsavoury individuals just hanging around at 5 pm - the capper was that the door to the outside not only didn't lock - the lock had been drilled out if it.
We left -

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ph1641
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison Area
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison ...
#1 of 1 in Glendale Heights
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
#5 of 7 in Downers Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove

Been to Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn? Share your experiences!