“Only a Last Resort”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Glen Ellyn
Central Illinois
“Only a Last Resort”
Reviewed 21 September 2006

As a sales professional, I stay in many hotels and this one was so bad I had to post a notice. Please, avoid the urge to get such a great price and stay somewhere else. Yes, the property is in a prime location in a beautiful suburb of Chicago, and was a decent sized room for the money, but I will never go back there again. As you drive through the parking lot, you will ask yourself it it is worth sleeping there... transients coming and going, windows cracked, blinds on the lobby falling down, beer bottles laying about, cars with flat tires in the lot, etc. Once you check in, the creaky floors, very old furnishings, and an odd smell make you want to just go back to your car and leave. When I got to my room, the window was wide open so I guessed they were trying to air out some smell, like cigarettes or something. Then I noticed that the toilet was running every so often but since I was watching TV, it didn't seem to bother me much. After I turned off the TV and went to sleep, it was after 1 am (and I didn't think anyone would do anything about it so) I tried my best to sleep with this toilet making a noise every ten minutes! It sits five steps away from the head of the bed. I closed the door and cranked up the fan to try to drown out the noise. Earlier in the evening I looked out the window and saw a tenant lighting a small cooking grill in the back of his pickup truck! The flames were 4 feet tall ...then he walked out of sight with it still burning and came back like it was no big deal. I went out and moved my car further away from him. Anyway, the Super 8 right next door looked just as bad and I think both hotels are renting by the week and month which attracts all kinds of unsavory types. I hope this saves some folks from having as unpleasant of an experience as I had.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Age and upkeep of the property
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this place
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank hindsight31

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 June 2006

I stayed at this hotel before it was a Best Value Inn, so maybe things are different now. When we stayed there, we enjoyed the location (near many restaurants, shopping and near the freeway for easy access to downtown Chicago). Our room was very small but clean, and the bed was very hard. The lock did not work well on the door. This would not have been a problem except that there were a large number of creepy looking gentlemen lurking in the hallways and the parking lot. It is also located directly behind an ice cream store which meant there were always people outside talking loudly while they ate their ice cream late at night.

Stayed September 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Ellyn
Crowne Plaza Lombard Downers Grove
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison Area
Ramada Glendale Heights Addison ...
#1 of 1 in Glendale Heights
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
Comfort Inn Downers Grove
#4 of 7 in Downers Grove
Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Lombard
Doubletree Suites by Hilton Hotel & Conference Center Chicago / Downers Grove
Red Roof Inn Chicago-Downers Grove

Been to Budgetel Hotel Glen Ellyn? Share your experiences!