“Nice restaurant, convenient”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great margaritas, good food. (I'm not a fan of the salsa, I wish they'd offer one with more veggies) We particularly like the seafood enchiladas.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Santa Fe restaurants in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, and Sandwich, Illinois, opened in 1981 and are family owned. The Glen Ellyn restaurant has several reviews via TripAdvisor. But this is the first, to my knowledge, for the Sandwich restaurant. We never were into Mexican food until we visited the Santa Fe in Sandwich for the first time. My mother, who is retired and living on nearby Lake Holiday, recommended it. We weren't disappointed. I'm not into hot sauce or cajun or hot food so I asked the waitress to suggest something that wouldn't burn my throat. She didn't hesitate. "The Santa Fe burrito," she said. A great choice. A Santa Fe burrito is a flour tortilla filled with steak, scrambled eggs and ranchero sauce topped with melted cheese. Washed down with a cold lemonade, it can't be beat. My wife was equally pleased with the chef's special, a banderilla enchilada or shish-ka-bob with cheese, beef (or chicken) and stuffed pepper with cheese. My mother's favorite is chicken fajitas, marinated strips of chicken cooked with tomatoes, green and red peppers and onion, served with guacamole. The BBQ chicken is wonderful, too. The menu is filled with all manner and varieties of enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, fajitas, tacos, tamales, flautas and chimichangas. You can't go wrong. And don't pass up dessert, especially the flan or Mexican custard. Other options are sopapillas, canelitas or empanadas. I'm not a drinker but I'm told the margaritas are excellent. Plenty of free parking available.

1  Thank Taylor B
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Santa Fe is a glen ellyn classic, was here when we moved out in 1988.
Interesting salsas, overall good Mexican food, pleasant atmosphere, consistent service

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I'd love to review the other food but really can't because we just keep ordering this delicious dish. You can choose cheese, beef or chicken enchiladas and we usually go with one beef and one chicken. The chicken is marinated in something special but the real star is the mole sauce- it elevates the dish.

At dinner Santa Fe is good for families and groups, not so much a romantic spot. The restaurant can be a bit echo-y. Service can be spotty or spot on. Apart from dinner, it's also nice to pop in for an after-movie coffee or drink and dessert. The flan is very good. The bar is good a place to hang out any time.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Have been here several times. Food is always decent but our most recent trip it was much better. The real star is the margarita. Get one with the Don Fulano 100 proof tequila. Don't be scared of the 100 proof. The flavor is amazing.