“Modern with Nice Staff but MANY Snags in a 2-Night Stay”

Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Glenview
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice staff & modern room but hot and cold water in shower are installed backward in RM 328. H is C and C is H. SURPRISE! at 5am. Folded towel on exposed shelf under bathroom sink PVC pipe to catch drips...kind of icky-looking. Flimsy, thin plastic commode seat lid flexes if a little person sits on it to get dressed. Staff checked me out after 1st night of 2-night stay without my stopping at the desk. I returned Saturday evening to find my card didn't work in the door. Staff seemed unsure what to do and excused herself to another room to return with the key card and assurance that it "should work now". It did. Got carry-out from TGIFriday and had just sat down to enjoy in the room when someone started to fiddle with the card slot. Yup. Room was let to another guest, an elderly lady who was traveling with other family members and was a bit taken aback that she might not be able to be near her family members as she was staying alone in the room. Don't know who was more surprised...she or me. I was just relieved that my things were still in the room and hadn't been moved-that was my first and most immediate concern upon learning of the mistake. It all turned out okay but I could have done without all the drama while traveling alone in an unfamiliar place. It just doesn't seem like they have their act together there.

Room Tip: As mentioned in review, steer clear of room 328 unless you note the hot and cold water is reversed f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
General M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for your recent review of the Best Western Plus in Glenview, Illinois. We have fixed the problem with the room you've stayed in and we apologize for the issues that you encountered. We hope your next stay with us is a pleasant experience.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

When first entering this Best Western, the decor and cleanliness is pretty impressive but the staff falls short with their customer services skills; think awkward and nervous. Upon entering the room, the smell of must came to mind which prompted an allergy episode later on in the night. The redeeming factor was the good night of sleep, up until the kids started screaming and running down the hall which could be heard through the paper thin walls, though I'm understanding of it considering there's always THAT family staying at a hotel. We went to go get breakfast and a majority of the items to eat were out; we settled on soggy potatoes and a self made waffle (put the batter in the machine, then struggle to unstick and serve on plate), cereal, and bagel. Again, we were exhausted and just looking for a place to rest our heads after a concert. The beds did just the trick for us the and TV was pretty nice, I wouldn't necessarily stay for anything other then those factors. The value also isn't bad, just be weary of the unprofessional front desk crew and dead bugs in your bathroom. I didn't voice my concerns considering the woman we attempted to check-out with was tied up with a customer issue and didn't bother to acknowledge the fact that we were staring at the cieling for about 15 minutes. First disappointing customer service we've had from a hotel in a while.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
General M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Melissa,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Best Western in Glenview. We truly value the opinions of our customers and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Providing our hotel guests with the best possible hospitality has always been our mission. We have addressed these issues and spoke with our employees, including our new staff members. We truly hope that you will give us another opportunity to improve your stay if you ever return to our area.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great location. We went to downtown Chicago to see a Cubs game, to Arlington Horse Races and to Six Flags. We will stay there again the next time we go to Chicago. Just part at the train station and take the train into downtown Chicago. The restaurant next door was great. We ate there every night.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
General M, General Manager at Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thanks for your positive feedback! We appreciate the business and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Emily and Patricia .... what can I say very professional people as a manager of a Best western I know when I see great hard working employees who take pride in what they do and these girls just prove they deserve to be where they are top notch both are very helpful from reservation to check inn to check out everything went as planned thanks to Emily and Patricia went out of her way to print me a train schedule ... will defo stay here next time in chi town ... hats off to the gm as well for hiring wonderful staff

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently stayed at BW for three nights. We were assigned a room that faced the highway. It was very noisy especially early in the morning. I asked the front desk if we could change to a new room for this very reason and she immediately got us set up to stay in a better located room. This was awesome and made the rest of our stay great. The rooms were nice and clean, the internet was perfect, and breakfast was very good. Our vacation was centered around spending time in downtown Chicago so we wanted to find a place outside the city that was easily accessible to downtown. Glenview was perfect. We walked to the Glenview train station ( 3 miles, 1 hour walk) and the train took us directly to Union Station in about 40 minutes. We wanted to save a few dollars by walking to the train station and take a taxi back from it. I wouldn't advise it but we did it. Taxi ride is about $12.

This hotel would be beyond perfect if they invested in a shuttle service to and from the train station and even around Glenview.

Overall our stay was excellent. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the highway if you're a light sleeper.
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My partner and I made one of our rare business trips to the Chicago area, decided to stay in the area where most of our business would be conducted, and take the train into the city for our leisure excursions. Based on the TripAdvisor reports for the Glenview area, we chose the Best Western Plus. I have used the Best Western franchise all over the country and overall have been more than satisfied with the hotels. As a whole, the stay in Glenview was good to very good but there were some issues that deserve mention and regarding which the hotel will hopefully take notice.

What I look for in a hotel – Is it safe? Is it reasonably clean? Can I get a good night’s sleep? Is the air conditioning and/or heat effective? How is the water pressure? Does the internet work well? I don’t expect a budget hotel to perform up to the standard of a 4-star facility, but I expect them to fulfil their own commitments.

This hotel is adjacent to the interstate but not at an exit, so it’s necessary to exit at the Willow Road and make your way back to the hotel – but that is not difficult. The area seemed quite safe as did the hotel and I was not concerned for my person, property or vehicle during the stay. Oddly, there were several rental trucks in the back parking lot throughout the stay, some coming and going and one being loaded and unloaded. It was unusual to say the least and did impact the available parking space. One thing of note: we used one of the first floor end doors (down the hall from the elevator) to access the back parking lot where we parked. It is secured so that a room key is supposed to be necessary to enter but the door does not completely latch when it swings shut leaving that back door unsecured.

I believe this hotel was renovated from another chain based on reports, but it’s hard to believe that it is not a completely new facility. The lobby, hallways and rooms are in excellent condition, clean, freshly painted. It was very clean and kept very clean during our stay.

Upon arrival, our reservation was in order and a special request was honored. Check in was faster and easier than any that I’ve experienced anywhere. No “we need to copy your ID” or any such thing. They took my name and handed me our keys. Check out was just as quick and easy.

Even though the hotel is immediately adjacent to the expressway, our room was on the opposite side of the hotel and I never heard any expressway noise. In the morning, sitting in the lobby and able to see the traffic on the adjacent interstate, I heard no traffic noise.

Upon arrival in our room, we discovered our first and the most significant issue. The room was average in size but it was over-appointed – too many things crammed into it. At no place in the room would it be possible for two people to pass by each other. What is in it? There is the bed, there is a chair and settee next to it and the two side tables. Across from the bed, there is a large desk and chair (I had to position the desk chair so that I would not trip over it passing by during the night), a dresser on which the television was placed and inside of which (on one side) was the refrigerator. Next to that was a wardrobe – more about that later. For the two of us traveling with separate suitcases, carry-ons and hangups for a several days of meetings, there simply was not anywhere to put everything. There was no suitcase rack but there would have been no room for one. We ended up piling our luggage on the desk, chair, setter and dresser.

And that brings us to the wardrobe. It was the storage place for the iron and ironing board (on the left). The right side was full of shelves. The place for hanging up belongings was about a foot wide, no more than 15 inches. For two people, it was simply impossible to get everything in so small an area, so we ended up keeping most of our belongings in the car and only bringing in what we needed for the day. My partner pointed out that for a woman with long skirts or a long evening dress, there would be NO place in the room that would accommodate it. This was certainly the one thing that produced the most inconvenience during our stay. It is worth noting that if a single traveler were to come with enough clothing for a week of meetings, it wouldn’t fit in that space either.

The air conditioner worked well and we were able to get the room cool enough for our liking. It tended to cut on and off frequently which can disturb sleep but there is a switch for “full-time fan” that solved that problem. It was possible to close the curtains to limit the intrusion of light aiding sleep after dawn. There were available electric outlets in the side table lamps and wall outlets behind to allow cellphones and computer to be plugged in next to the bed. There was a small coffeemaker, a refrigerator, iron and ironing board.

Pointer: the iron tended to spit water at “normal” heat settings. My partner discovered that by turning up the heat higher than we would normally, it then steamed more or less normally.

Pointer: internet access was quick and easy but requires a user ID and password that you must obtain from the front desk.

The bathroom was cramped just like the rest of the room, set the front corner with a door that opens at an angle. You have to be standing in the right place in the bathroom to get the door open. There is some counter space, not a lot. The shower water pressure was adequate – barely - and we had to continually manipulate the temperature control to keep It warm. Water pressure seemed to vary at different times. It took time, especially washing hair, to get rinsed off.

The bed was comfortable and I slept very well during the several days we were there. The television has an adequate number of the usual channels.

In the lobby there is a well-appointed dining room and in the mornings, the continental breakfast is quite acceptable. We felt no need to leave to get breakfast. There is coffee available on a 24-hour basis. In the same block as the hotel are restaurants and fast food establishments of various kinds.

There is an exercise room that we made use of, and a pool that seemed to be open though we did not use it.

All in all, this was a good stay and I would stay at this facility again. The main issue is the cramped nature of the room, the very limited space to hang up clothing, and the deficient water pressure. However, this hotel is certainly otherwise quite good and an excellent value.

Room Tip: Our room was on the opposite side from the interstate and we heard no traffic noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This top of the line Best Western provides very comfortable beds, an excellent complimentary full breakfast, and free parking. The person at the desk provided good detailed directions to the Grove a top nearby site and the Bahai Temple in nearby Wilmette. She also gave good directions to Pinstripes in Northbrook, a good place for a Sunday brunch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glenview
Staybridge Suites Glenview
Courtyard Chicago Glenview/Northbrook
Baymont Inn & Suites Glenview
Delta Hotels by Marriott Chicago North Shore Suites
Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago - Northbrook
6 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie

Been to Best Western Plus Glenview-Chicagoland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!