“Well appointed rooms, lovely grounds but far away from the town”

Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieuwpoort
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The Hyatt Curacao has lovely well appointed rooms with water and garden views. The bed was very comfortable and I asked that an air cleaner be placed in my room. I had no allergy issues and the staff changed the linen regularly. The bar staff in the evening was so helpful. They remembered my favorite drink and served it with a gracious smile. The sushi was fresh and delicious! However, the breakfast staff seemed ill equiped to handle the mass of guests between 9 and 10 AM each day. There were long lines of guests waiting to be seated each day. And although we made dinner reservations at Shore, the staff "lost" our reservations twice. Our group of friends all enjoyed our trip, but would hope that these few glitches would be corrected to make a future stay perfect.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank corky9108
There are newer reviews for Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Honestly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at in my life. My fiance and I even decided to have our wedding here as well. He has traveled all around the world and has also said that the Hyatt Curacao is one of the best hotels he has ever stayed at. The staff was AMAZING! Go see JOVEL (bartender) at the restaurant right downstairs. He was sooooo friendly and extremely professional. I was extremely surprised to see how professional he was. He worked every night that we were in town and made our night quite pleasant. The entire staff at the Hyatt Curacao is just amazing.

Room Tip: Any room is amazing!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Melanie A
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Melanie A:

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa & Marina. We're so happy that your experience at our property was one that you'll never forget. Hyatt takes pride with our associates offering the best customer service. We'll make sure the are recognized for their tremendous efforts. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Nick B. Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 26 February 2012

In the en of last december (2011), my family and I (14 persons: seniors, adults, adolescents and children) stayed in this resort hotel, which is far from the city center and from the most beautiful beaches for snorkeling. But knowing that, we rent cars and could enjoy the pool and the beach of the hotel (not exciting for snorkling - the only place is the very end of the beach but they never tell you that!) and spend some days in the other beaches of the island. What we did not expect is that the hotel restaurants were still "getting organized" after a year of existence and the food, although the island was a Dutch colony, is so American. Thanks to a small Dely, owned by Italians, we could enjoy meals more tasty, with personality and interest cost and benefit. Also, despite the large space and resources, there are no activities and entertainment for guests, even for children. At night, if you made ​​a reservation in the main restaurant youcould enjoy some live music.
The staff are friendly because people from the island are like that! But the hotel has much to learn and develop.

Room Tip: Facing the ocean, not close to the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank joyjoyBrasil
Reviewed 26 February 2012

My husband and I picked this property due to previous ratings from other travelers. To start, the directions from the airport to the hotel were incorrect. Many roads were closed due to Carnival and it took 2 hours to get to the property. Once at the property, we were please with the overall layout and views. We were EXTREMELY disappointed when we checked into our room. Many of the standard amenities such as a clock, in room safe and iron were not there. We had to call 3 times before speaking to the hotel manager. We were told we would have our room changed, however my husband had to call to check on this. The manager did send a bottle of champagne to the room as an apology. While this was a nice gesture, it did not make up for the frustration of trying to get basic amenities.
We were very disappointed with the customer service. Only Henny was helpful.She helped us book our trip downtown. The amount of staff was not adequate for the size of the resort,nor were they particulary helpful. Medi served breakfast, but lines were very long there was not enough staff. On the plus side, rooms were clean. Property was beautiful despite the man made beach. Shor restaurant was a wonderful experience. We would not recommend this property to others.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Laura D
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us. We're sorry to hear you stay did not meet expectations. Though during Carnival the island can be quite busy this should not affect our level of service. We hope this experience does not deter you from staying at Hyatt in the future. Please contact us if you need any future assistance.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We loved Curacao! The Hyatt Curaçao is a beautiful resort in a beautiful area though quite remote from Willmestad and other attractions. Use the hotels directions from the airport which are not the same directions Google Maps will give you. Check-in was not very efficient but the front desk personnel are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in Room 1451 which was a nice standard room and had a nice view. Neither my wife nor I found the bed comfortable and they have a metallic base which makes noises when you move around. It was quite the hike to the lobby, restaurants, and pool. My communications with the concierge prior to our trip was extremely lacking. She could only understand or respond to one question at a time and was really not very helpful. Once at the resort I asked the concierge if Christoffel Park would be open since Monday was a holiday and she assured me it would be. Wrong. Did I mention that the Hyatt was remote? It was a long drive to find out it was closed but we enjoyed the scenery in Westpont regardless. When I came to talk to the concierge about details on Carnival, she had an absolute look of disgust on her face that I was bothering her. And the information she provided was useless. I talk to another guest later who was a Hyatt Diamond member and he also said the concierges at this Hyatt were awful. We spent the first day at the pool and screaming kids were quite annoying. And the poolside service was not that great. I would expect much better from a resort of this caliber. It would be nice if there was a separate adults pool. The lounge chairs were readily available at the pool and the beach, but are the hardest I've ever experienced. After the first day we stayed at the beach and it was very relaxing but they should have towel access there as some parts of the hotel are a very long way from the pool. We asked one of the employees for a menu and it took 30 minutes for him to return. As a Platinum member we received Internet for free which was nice. Free breakfast would also be a nice benefit though there seemed to always be a line for breakfast. The fitness center was more than adequate. My wife and I both got massages at the spa and they were excellent. The spa was very nice but it would have been better if they had an area with whirlpools, saunas, etc to hang out before or after the spa services Coffee in the room is instant coffee. There were coffee cups in the lobby but I never saw coffee being provided.

Activities. We went to Cas Abou Beach. It was very crowded and no chairs were left to rent. It was a pretty beach but I didn't find the snorkeling very productive. We arranged through the marina at the Hyatt to do a full day trip to Klein Curaçao. They used Bounty Adventures for this. The trip was supposed to start at 8:00 but the catamaran showed up closer to 9:00. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to the island and there were a few people getting sick because of the rough seas. The water was very clear but the snorkeling was not that great around the island but was very good right next to the boat where they were dumping food off. We walked around the island and that was a mistake. The other side of the island is like walking through a huge garbage dump. Apparently trash from the oceans accumulates there so there were tons of plastic bottles and other garbage. We took some photos of the shipwreck and lighthouse but that is pretty much all to do on the island. One thing that became clear is that Mermaid Boat Trips has the best setup for this tour. They have facilities on the island including restrooms, shower, and lounge chairs. They also cooked your lunch on the island whereas with Bounty Adventures you had to come back to the boat to eat lunch which was a pain. Mermaid Boat Trips charges a few dollars more and alcoholic drinks are extra. I don't think they pick up at the Hyatt. We also went downtown a couple evenings and shopped around. There are some high end shops in Otrobanda, close to where some of the cruise ships dock (in ocean).

Dining. First of all, get ready for European portions. Don't they know Americans like to eat until stuffed? The first night we decided to eat at the Medi restaurant at the Hyatt. I had the best spaghetti (Rustica) I've ever eaten and my wife enjoyed her meal. I asked if I could get the spaghetti for lunch another day and they agreed to cook it. The jazz music and outdoor table was excellent. Next we ate at Fishalicious in Punda which was very good. The Red Snapper was one of the best I've eaten. My only complaint was that their online menu was outdated and they didn't have Halibut or the desserts listed. It wasn't in the nicest area as evident from the security guy in the parking lot with the Rottweiler. We ate at La Bahia in Otrobanda which has a great view of the ships coming through the Santa Anna Bay and the floating bridge. My wife ordered the shrimp cocktail which was breaded and she said it was fantastic. My shrimp meal was pretty good as well. Walking back to our car, parked on the Punda side of the floating bridge around 10pm was a little hairy as some unsavory characters were close to our car acting strangely but thankfully there was no incident. We ate at the other Hyatt restaurant Shor which has a nice setting close to the ocean. The shrimp cocktail had a strange taste and consistency to it We had the salmon and the grouper. They were good but not memorable. My wife had the apple pie and ice cream dessert and it was excellent. I had the brownie and ice cream and it was not edible as it was hard as a rock and I returned it. Do yourself a favor and eat at the Wine Cellar, rated the #1 restaurant on the island by Tripadvisor! This is a French restaurant owned and run by a Dutch man (opened in 1971) and his 2 sons. It was a culinary experience and the 3 men regularly came to our table and checked on us. We had the mushroom soup and it was fantastic. I had the Grouper and it was very good. My wife had duck for the first time and it was also very good. For dessert, the walnut and cashew pie with ice cream was excellent. But be prepared to spend some money and spend at least 2 1/2 hours. On our last evening, we went to Espetada House. I highly recommend this restaurant and it is the closest restaurant outside the Santa Barbara Plantation security gate (go outside gate, turn right at the circle, and its right there on your left). We had the Portuguese salad which was excellent and the shrimp and tenderloin skewers with the peanut sauce and both were excellent as well.

By the way, I highly recommend getting a rental car because of the location of the Hyatt. I got the cheapest car at Thrifty for about $200 for the week. It was a crappy car! Use a different car rental company.

Despite some of the issues, we would most likely stay at the Hyatt again when visiting Curacao as the location and resort were very beautiful.

Room Tip: When standing and facing the front desk, ask for an upper room to your left which is closest to the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bhighlande
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This very new Hyatt has all of the elements to be a fabulous resort, but it is held back by its staff and some bad decisions by management. The Pros: Brand-new, beautiful resort. Very good food, from fish tacos and pizza to steak and grouper. Shor open-air restaurant has quality dining and sunset views.Golf course is one of the best in the Caribbean, with endless views from the top of the old quarry. Cool driving range with free balls. Tennis facility is first rate with new clay courts -- no carpet with sand here. The Cons: Too many large palms block water views from lower floors. Too many rooms have double beds (not queens or kings). Resort is isolated, so guests quickly tire of limited food options. Going anywhere is expensive by taxi. Shuttle is less costly but they ask you to reserve by 2 pm the day before. Staff is very friendly (with the exception of the person seating people at Shor (friends started calling it the fascist restaurant), but friendliness doesn't translate into helpfulness. No one seems to have been trained to answer the most basic questions. Beach is really a canal that cuts into the island to the marina. Great wading for kids for kids but no waves. Property is beautiful. Perhaps they will iron out service issues. If so, this could be quite a resort someday.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an upper floor with a King bed. I think rooms facing the "beach" are bet...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Slightlycranky
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and i travel a lot to the caribbean and this resort was by far the best we've ever stayed at. The property is beautiful. The rooms are a good size and very clean. Very new resort. The staff was extremely attentive. The food was EXCELLENT. We're very picky with our food especially with my husband being a chef. Amazing food especially the sushi . The resort is far from downtown but the hotel offers a shuttle bus (12$ per person round trip) several times a day..only 30 min.drive. Very quiet place to relax. Not the biggest beach but enough room for everyone. you'll never have trouble getting a chair on the beach. If you have the option to take all-inclusive take it! We did and well worth it. It can get very expensive.

Room Tip: ask for top floor.better view
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cdmm_17
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear cdmm_17:

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Curacao Golf Resort, Spa & Marina. We're delighted to hear how nice the employees were. Hyatt takes pride with our associates offering great customer service. We'll make sure they are recognized for their efforts. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you and your husband back to our resort again.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nieuwpoort
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Resort
Blue Bay Curacao Golf & Beach Re...
#1 of 1 in Dorp Sint Michiel
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino

Been to Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao? Share your experiences!