“Beautiful!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Nieuwpoort
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

This resort is fabulous. It does indeed have everything you would need and you would not have to leave; however, if you're American, you can do that for cheaper at an all-inclusive in Mexico. Of course you want to leave and check out the beautiful beaches and the capital; therefore, you HAVE to rent a car. The resort is far from any of the really nice beaches, and I would recommend you rent from the airport because I think we paid more, but you can get one from the Budget counter at the hotel. The staff was very accommodating, and the walls are a bit thin and there was a baby crying in the room next to ours, so they let us switch right away (and the second room had a better view). You could also walk around the corner to a watersports rental to go snorkeling, diving, etc. Lots of food choices, few crowds, beautiful views, beautiful lobby with a little bar - very relaxing!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the far side, next to the inlet, so you can get to the beach quickly (and it's...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear KatyStephanie,

Thank you for calling our resort fabulous!! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay.

To me the experience on Curaçao is different than Mexico or other islands. I encourage all guests to leave the resort and explore the island. The island isn't so commercialized that you feel completely removed from the culture. There are wonderful gems scattered all over the island's unspoiled natural landscape.

I hope that you can visit us again soon from Houston!
Philippe Eversdijk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family stayed at the Santa Barbara resort in July 2014. The hotel facilities and grounds are beautiful, and the hotel staff was great. Our airline lost our luggage, which is apparently a common occurrence in Curacao. The front desk personnel provided all of the necessities that our family needed. One staff member stood out as truly exceptional. Rudolph, one of the bellmen was beyond helpful. He went out of his way to locate and deliver our luggage to the property.

All of the amenities at the resort are first class: pool, golf course, beach and restaurants.

The only possible negative to the property is the location. You need to be aware that the hotel is very remote. This is not a problem if you are utilizing their facilities. However, if you want to explore Curacao it can be very costly. Our family rented a vehicle to explore the island.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear demetgolf,

I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! I see that you are a Top Trip Advisor Contributor with reviews in 47 cities. Wow! That's amazing!

I am disappointed to hear about your luggage, but am happy to hear that Rudolph was able to help. You are right, our resort is approximately 30 minutes from Willemstad. You can rent a car right on property for approximately $60/day to explore the island. Please, ask the team about the great local, experience that are close to the resort when you visit the next time. That's my favorite part about Curaçao - it has unique things to do that you can't find anywhere else.

I hope that we can welcome you back again very soon!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This place is definitely one of my favorite hotels. It's a beautiful property that feels like it's own little world. Everything you need is on the premises so you don't have to leave if you don't want to. The beach is beautiful, the pool is gorgeous, they have one of the best gyms I have ever seen in a hotel, which is huge. Travelers who like to workout on the road know how hard it is to find a decent hotel gym but this place has it. The spa uses a lot of locally sourced products (especially aloe) and tries to be as organic as possible. The food and drinks are good, and you can get breakfast delivered to your room at no extra charge. One of my favorite meals on the Island came from MEDI, the on premises restaurant that specializes in seafood. There's also a lounge area where musicians come to entertain. The staff was friendly and the service was attentive. I don't have any complaints about this place. It's a versatile hotel that can work for families, business (especially because of the golf areas), honeymoons, general romance, etc. Do yourself a favor and book it.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms may also give you a glimpse of the pool depending on where you are.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Starr R
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Starr R,

Thank you so much for a great review! I really appreciate you staying with us and sharing your experience. I, too, like to workout when traveling. So, I agree - a nice gym is always a great plus.

I hope that you can visit us again very soon!

Coral Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I recently returned from this resort in Curacao. It was recommended to us by a very close friend in the business (thank you!). The resort is magnificent. The property is very well maintained, the staff is extremely attentive, the food is wonderful, and there is an incredible view of the magical blue water from everywhere. It is the type of place you go to for relaxation. We did venture into town twice and we were happy to just stay at the resort. I would return to this tropical paradise again. Oh, and by the way, it never seems to rain there, and yet there was a beautiful breeze at all times.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Judy B
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Judy B,

Thank you for visiting us from Florida and for the great review! I am always amazed by the blue water every time I see it. I don't think I'll ever get used to it!

Curaçao is a perfect vacation destination with only about 22" of annual rainfall per year. When it does rain, it usually clears up very quickly so you can continue having fun on your vacation!

I hope that we see you again soon!
Willemstad, Curacao
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a caribbean luxury hotel with atached golfcourse located on the eastern side of Curacao which is amazingly gorgeous .The hotel is big ,with open spaceous architecture with an amazing view wherever your room is .You wake up to the seaview, the golfcourse or the local landscape and the singing of local birds! The rooms are big with all modern amenities .
The golfcourse is a challenging one due to the very strong breeze and the layout, but with very well maintained greens ,a good clubhouse with good equipment available so a good round of golf is guaranteed !
The hotel is quite far from most restaurants, shops , atractions and the city. But then again the driving time to everywhere is 10 minutes anyway!!The friendly , but sometimes slow staff can arrange for transport but the restaurants , pool ,spa ,natural beach and little shops can keep you entertained on location as well. Not a place if you are on a budget .But definitely worth it!

Room Tip: Southside rooms give you a view of the golfcourse and the sea!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank angelfoodie
Dear angelfoodie,

As always, we love welcoming our island family to the resort. Thank you for spending some time with us to relax and recharge! The breeze off the sea on holes one and two on the golf course are definitely a challenge. I hope that you come back again to play soon!

Safe Travels,
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We just had our wedding with 60 close friends and family. Ages 3 to 83 and all had a great time. Barefoot beach ceremony, terrace cocktail hour and oven side reception. Rather large for a destination wedding, but affordable. Gianni and the planning staff will work with you long distance to ensure details are met.
The hotel has much to do, top scuba diving in world, deep sea fishing, world class golfing and relaxing beach. We went during the less populated "rainy season", we saw no rain.... the food on the resort is Americanized with a hint of local flare. El gaucho is choose and very good.
It is about 20 min from town but there is a free shuttle. The only gripe is the price of alcohol and food is high but good. Service was way better than most places in town.
Great place to relax and enjoy.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank louiscarl23
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear louiscar123,

Congratulations on your wedding! I wish you and your spouse many years of happiness. I love to see beach weddings as I am walking around the resort. With all the flowers and beautiful details that Gianni and Anjali arrange, I don't think there's any better place to have a wedding!

I hope that we can welcome you back for many more anniversaries to come!
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

There are two ways to view this hotel and neither version is wrong. However, depending on the version that you are, this hotel may not be the best place to stay in Curacao. I will explain the reasons below.

THE HOTEL: The hotel is a nice place. It is clean is the staff and very friendly. In addition, it seats near a beach and has two pools. However, the beach is not your typical beach. If you prefer a beach with waves, this is not that location. The water is pretty calm. Also, for some reason the beach goes into the deep end about 30 feet from shore. This appears to be a man-made thing, due to the fact that they had to install a small boardwalk from the hotel to the Mariana. It is not a typical design of natural untouched beach. But all in all, the hotel is nice place and the staff are nice.
THE PRICE: Please be on notice that everything at the hotel is relatively expensive. I know that expensive is subjective term, but we all know its natural definition. By expensive I mean when you compare to other locations. The food a hotel is somewhat pricey. In addition, it was a simple things and nothing to increase your experience. There are no local cuisines to taste. I was disappointed about this factor. What makes it really hard to go anywhere else is the location.

THE LOCATION: The hotel is somewhat remotely located on the island. I failed to realized this when I booked the place. The average taxi to the city was about $40 each way and about $60 at night. So that’s, $80 dollars round trip for the afternoon. I’m sure one can find better things to do with $80 dollars. The location also makes it hard to try local restaurants and entertainment because there are none around the area. You can also rent a car instead of taking a taxi. The cost to rent a vehicle was about $60 per day. Renting a car is certainly an adventure because some of the streets are not named and some streets are not well lit. In order to experience Curacao, you have to live the hotel. Nothing happens near this hotel. I’m not exaggerating when I say that the security point entrance and to the main hotel is about 2 miles. I think they truly set out to make this remote for a reason.

This hotel is the best place for someone that never plans to leave the hotel and does not care to experience what the island has to offer. In addition, you don’t care to taste local food or experience the local night life. If you wish stay in the hotel all day, lay around, and eat food you already know, this is by far the best location. However, if you looking for the opposite you will need to find a hotel more into the city. On several occasions, even the taxi drivers told us that the hotel is just too far for most people that want to experience the island.

Aside from the prettiness, nothing really stood for me for this location. I do agree with other post that you can find better deal elsewhere. If you factor the food cost and the taxi price, you may as well as add another $50 per night to find another location closer to town. I truly love Curacao and can't wait to be back. After making friends with some the locals, I know now the best places to stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Paulo D
SBR_Curacao_GM, General Manager at Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Paulo D,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am so disappointed that you didn't enjoy your stay. We have many guests that rent a car to explore the island (which I highly recommend) and love to come back to the peace and serenity of the resort. We are surrounded by nothing but water, sky and mountains. There are no parking lot views from your room here!

There are some great local artisans about 15 minutes away from the resort including Serena's Chi Chi factory where island women hand paint chi chi dolls and an aloe vera farm where we source all of our shower products. There is so much to explore on the island and we love to help our guests create a custom itinerary whether that is relaxing around the resort or finding local treasures.

I hope that you can return to the island soon and explore the great things the island has to offer!
Philippe Eversdijk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nieuwpoort
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
Scuba Lodge & Suites
Scuba Lodge & Suites
#2 of 32 in Willemstad
Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao
Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino
Sunscape Curacao Resort Spa & Casino

Been to Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao? Share your experiences!