“real gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Greenup
Beloit, Kansas
“real gem”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

You have to appreciate people who take old school motels and give those old buildings new life. The managers were very friendly and helpful - when we had problems with the air conditioner, the manager was there right away to fix it. The rooms were clean an comfortable. And the room rates were great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Joyce M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
rogers , arkansas
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We were headed home and needed a place for the night, at first glance the outside was very old school swings in the front for the children and ceramic tile on the outside walls of the rooms. We requested a walk through of the room and was pleasantly surprised, room was clean and comfortable. It was not fancy, but the manager was very friendly and the cost was less then $50.00 including the taxes for 2 beds. We would do it again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kcakouros
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Unfortunately, the bed at this place ruined the night for me. My family and I stayed in a room with two beds. Each bed had a plastic sheet underneath the fitted sheet. Sleeping on this was very uncomfortable, as any movement caused the plastic to make noises. Who can sleep on plastic? I considered removing the plastic sheet but then questioned why it was there in the first place. Was it there to protect the mattress from me, or me from the mattress? Why would the mattresses need a plastic sheet, what was on them? That thought kept me from removing it. We did not have any young children traveling with us.

Aside from the bed issue, there was an unpleasant odor in the room. I eventually got used to it, but my teen had a harder time with it.

Although I had read that some rooms were remodeled with wood floors, ours was not. It still had carpet. The room looked clean. The only place I noticed that needed more attention was behind the bathroom door. The bathroom is small, and it was obvious that getting a vacuum behind the door was difficult and had not been cleaned recently. The bathroom also does not have any ventilation other than a window, and mildew spots were visible on the ceiling.

The inn is located next to railroad tracks. Although I was awoken by a train at 3 a.m., my family slept through it.

The staff we met were very courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled unit.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mom-trip-planner

Travellers are raving about these Greenup hotels

burgaw
Reviewed 18 April 2012

While out visiting family in Newton, needed a room for the night, did not really want to travel to Effingham Super 8 ( they allow pets), my brother had searched this place and said it looked good andwas cheap. Me being real picky was very nervous about the condition of the hotel for $40.00. When got into parking lot, I said to my wife hell no! Spoke with manager, looked at room, agreed to take the room for the night. The room was fine and very clean, I was very surprised that I found a room for that price that was okay. I will definatly stay here again when visiting family in area agian this summer!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank edward b
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 24 December 2011

This was a great find for the money. Or only complaint was there were small dead bugs (about) 40 in the bathtub, bathroom floor and in the toilet. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Carla S
West Mifflin, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I'm usually not one to leave reviews, but in this case, I felt I needed to highlight the manager's over the top service. We drove through this small town of Greenup at around 1am on our way back home. Tired and exhausted, we decided to get a room. We tried another motel first, the front desk was obviously uninterested in working at that hour. The room they gave us had a musky odor and AC didn't work and we got attitude when we called about it. We decide to leave and find another place. Just down the road we saw Greenup Inn. We obviously woke the manager up, but much to our surprise, he was extremely helpful, checked us in and directed us to our room. I have to say the exterior may not be much to look at but the rooms were really nice for a small town motel.

However, what happens next made me a customer for life. Our 3 month old baby was colicky and my husband had to get some sleep so I stepped outside the room at 2am to calm the baby down and not disturb my husband. The manager heard the baby crying, noticed I was outside; he immediately opened the office, invited me in and offered the place to me as long as I needed, even made me some tea from his own kitchen. He stayed up with me for the next 2 hours until my baby fell asleep. Is this small town hospitality or just good people that go over and beyond?? Whatever is it, I'll be staying at Greenup Inn every time I make this trip, which is 3x a year!

Room Tip: Book in advance
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karen B
Paola, Kansas
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We had booked this motel in advance and I am glad we did. This was the halfway point between Cleveland and Kansas City. We are tired of paying high prices for poorly maintained,less than motels and saw reviews for the Greenup Inn and decided to give it a whirl. We were pleasantly surprised! The motel is undergoing remodeling and the lobby/ office is still the original 50's style. However our room was very nice. The King Suite bed( plush pillowtop) was comfortable and inviting. The furnishings were modern and most importantly everything was clean. Even a fridge and microwave. Even though the bath harkened back to days gone by , it was clean and well maintained. The manager was very nice and helpful. Even going so far as to call us to follow up and ask for feedback. I wish there were more places like this with manggagers and owners who care. They are few and far between. I am pretty picky about where I stay but I would stay here again without hesitation. An be sure to try the Stagecoach Inn restaurant in this quaint little town! Best breakfast I have had in a long time!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank pikkygirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenup
Days Inn & Suites Casey
Super 8 Effingham
#7 of 19 in Effingham
Lexington Inn & Suites Effingham
La Quinta Inn & Suites Effingham

Been to Greenup Inn? Share your experiences!