“COASTERS AFTER DARK - FAIL!”

Six Flags Great America
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Gurnee
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This amusement park, located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, has over 100 rides and attractions.
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This year I bought the season pass with parking. I highly recommend it if you plan on attending the park more than once in a season. The pass includes all of the six flags parks so we took advantage and went to six flags Atlanta over spring break. We did not have our passes yet and simply called Great America and they gave us confirmation numbers to bring to the Atlanta Park. It was very easy. I thought about getting the meal plan this year but, realized they only have it at certain food locations and it is not like Disney World where you have a certain amount of meals for your stay that are checked off. At SFGA you can only eat lunch at a certain time and dinner at a certain time. I decided not to try it but, will be looking out for review feedback from others. Instead, I have been taking advantage of the family meal plans on-line. An on-line meal plan for 4 at Johnny Rockets is $44 as compared to the same meals purchased at Johnny Rockets in the park would run you $88. I want to give a shout out to the Johnny Rockets by Xflight. They have a nice outdoor seating area and I have eaten there on 2 separate occasions and found the food pretty decent and the staff really nice. Both times a staff member helped me carry a second tray out to the table. This year Six Flags Great America is really enforcing no bags on thrill rides. I have been able to get away with a small purse at this park since the 80's but, this year they won't allow any. You can rent a locker or just have everyone wear shorts with pockets for passes, phones (sandwich bag 4 your phone on water rides) and leave everything else at home.

NOW FOR COASTERS AFTER DARK - NOT AS ADVERTISED
COASTERS AFTER DARK 4 season pass holders 0 STARS
WHAT GREAT AMERICA ADVERTISES
Friday, June 15, 2012 from 8pm-11pm. Coasters after dark is a special event for season pass holders. Enjoy exclusive ride time for three hours on SFGA major rides along with fellow season pass holders. You MUST be inside the park 60 minutes prior to the event start time in order to experience Coasters After Dark.
THE REALITY
We got there by 6:45pm but, found Great America does not track this so you can really go in any time before the park closes. Very annoying as we waited around till 8pm assuming people would clear out and only season pass holders would stay. Not the case. Everyone is allowed to stay in the park for the event. They just limit thrill rides to season pass holders so the park is extremely crowded just like an average night at GA. 8pm comes and goes and the lines have not changed. I asked a supervisor who happened to be standing around and he told me that corporate anticipated the park to be busy that day and decided at the last minute to keep it open till 9pm instead of 8pm and make coasters after dark from 9pm-12am which annoyed me and especially him as a lot of staff had to leave and supervisors had to scramble to keep staff in the park till midnight. Now we end up waiting another hour thinking maybe the lines would slow down at 9pm. They never did. There are so many season pass holders going to Coasters After Dark that it is like any other crowded evening at GA except now the whole park is short staffed. It was a 90 minute wait to ride the Viper because they only had one person operating the ride. We walked by all the other big rides Raging Bull, X Flight, Vertical Velocity etc. but, did not bother as all the lines were easily a 90 minute wait. By 7pm the park was filthy, bathrooms were gross and the men's bathroom in the Southwest Territory was closed. All in All a bad experience and not what I expected. My recommendation is still to go to the park early and take advantage of flash pass if you want to ride a lot of thrill rides without a long wait.

5  Thank midwest4

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I have recently came came after doing a bit of traveling starting in Chicago, and ending up in Toronto after a 2 week holiday. I said that we will have to visit an American Theme Park while there and I am glad that we did. We came across Six flags on the Internet and saw that if you ordered your tickets online, you could save $20 on the ticket, so we thought that we would do that as there was 4 of us going + the $20 for the parking which I thought was a bit pricey, but then I have to remember that the tax is also added on as well as as it was being split between 4 of us, it wasn't all that bad.

We all made sure that we had a big breakfast before we left where we were staying as even in the UK, food at theme parks can be on the expensive side and we thought that would be the same over here. The only thing that we did by, was the refillable drinks, we brought 2 of them to share between the 4 of us as we both couples on holiday and it saved some money buying 2 at the same time and it was worth it as we both filled them up at least a min of 4 times as it was very hot.

We went on the Friday of the weekend of Memorial Day, didn't realise that until we landed in Chicago and saw lots of school buses on the way there as we were getting closer to the park. The longest that we waited inline for was about 1hr even with all the schools that were there. I liked the fact that when in the que, you have staff that stop i t a little way before you get close to the station, i guess this is done to help stop any over crowding on the really popular ride that are there.

We managed to get on all the big roller coasters that are there from batman to superman, to Raging Bull to Vertical Velocity and American Eagle and Viper which are the 2 wooden coaster that they have got and we made sure that we did x-flight 1st seeing as it is the brand new one for this year and thought that during the day that it would get get even busier.

We found it quite easy to find our way around and the park map is very colorful and clearly split into different themed areas. What I did like is that when you first walk in, is that you see the magnificent 2 tire merry-go-round, have never seen anything that in the UK before.

We got there for when the park opened and left sometime between 5-6 when we popped into the Out Back Steak House for Dinner afterwards which made it a good end to a fab day

1  Thank buffy19811980
Reviewed 15 June 2012 via mobile

The lines are crazy! Food is a rip off!! If u pay over double u can cut in front of everyone! Gross just come up with a price in the middle...if u have $600 to drop for a family day buy the cut passes otherwise I miss kiddy land!

3  Thank Dellcomm3
Reviewed 11 June 2012

It's fun if all you want to do is ride the rides. There used to be better shows, etc.

1  Thank marguerite s
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Despite locals and hotel conceirge hesitation of this visit due to distance (approx 40miles) this was well worth a visit.

My boyfriend and I were only in Chicago for 5 days, and one day we went out to Six Flags. We are Londoners so an hour or so journeys out really aren't too far for us.

So for those in Chicago who fancy a day trip out, i'd recommend this. Its one train approx 1.15hr from Ogilvey Station and a short taxi or bus ride from the station.

Great rides, including some new ones i've never been on before. The Water Park was closed when we visited in May, but the weather was also too cold anyway so it didn't bother us. I think we would have been short for time if we were to go to the Water Park as well.

We arrived at 10.30am, opening time is 10am and left at 5pm and were able to make all the big rides by doing this.

The food selection there isn't great i must say. Obviously very american so very bias towards fried foods.

We bought our tickets online which is cheaper than just turning up, so I'd advise buying these in advance.

Enjoy!

NB: the six flags website is built flash, so we had some trouble with it on our iPad. If you need to buy tickets in advance as your hotel to help you.

1  Thank LondonTraveller888