“We are die hards! Kids could enjoy this park daily, all summer long!”

Six Flags Great America
Ranked #3 of 14 things to do in Gurnee
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This amusement park, located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, has over 100 rides and attractions.
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Can't do all the rides here enough, there are plenty. And they run the gamut of ages. Two kiddie areas, roller coasters for all ages and sizes, water rides, spinny rides and even a beautiful 2-story carousel that overlooks a reflecting pool surrounded by lovely landscape. Terrific photo opp.

This mom barely rides the scenic Sky Tower and relaxing train around the park, but it still makes for a great day with the kids! The park is clean; decent food though a bit pricey, ample restrooms, photos taken on select attractions, and benches to go around. (I've never been without a seat while waiting for kids.)

If you're seeking parades and shows throughout the day, you will be disappointed. There's one show worth seeing, Reflections, especially if it's hot or rainy. The 'parade' is a joke, particularly if you've been to Disney or even attended your own towns July 4th celebration.

Despite the high prices, food variety is ok, not great. Games are aplenty if you like to try your luck and give the park even more of your money. Restrooms are perfectly fine, clean as well. Staff friendly and helpful. Value terrific-just 2 visits per year make a season pass worthwhile. We even used them at other Six Flags in the US.

SFGA is a 'can't miss' for families on the go who love adventure!

3  Thank familygalChicagoIL
Write a ReviewReviews (2,346)
All reviews
in 39 reviews
"dining pass"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to this place since I was little. The coasters don't disappoint. My favorite is superman ultimate flight ( haven't been on Goliath yet) I got the season pass so I've been here twice this season.
Good points:
-park clean
- staff friendly
- season pass really does pay for itself in two visits and there is bring a friend for free days.
-slightly bigger people can fit on coasters.

Bad points:
-$25 parking is ridiculous
- entry/ security lines long and slow.
- food lines slow
- hurricane harbor $5 if you don't have a pass used to be free.

3  Thank Laf419
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Season pass is must with kids. Weekdays evenings are better for pre-ks. Less rush, and waiting. Weekends are crazy not recommended. Food is horrible unless you already know name like Panda Express etc. better to go out and dine than eat inside the park

3  Thank Madiha Z
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Got here two days before the delayed opening of the Goliath Coaster (bummer). Park lines were not very long, and there was a good mix of rides. Some of the rides were a little dated. Parking lot was large. Parking is $25. Kind of high. The park bills itself as the cleanest in the world. It is VERY clean. People constantly cleaning the grounds and the restrooms. At least as clean as the declining standards at Disney properties. Easy access to the highway.

2  Thank beavertontim
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Anyone else notice that the most recent couple pages of reviews are very generic, with the Six Flags reviewing being the only one for that user?... Smells fishy…

But I digress. I’ve been coming to Six Flags Great America for years and I always have a great time. But now as an adult I don’t know if I’m just noticing more or if the experience has just gone downhill. I will start at the beginning.

Everyone knows to get to a theme park as early as possible to get on the most rides and deal with less people, right? Well at most theme parks this would be true, not so much for the cluster *uck that is Great America. First be prepared to wait in line for parking for a solid 15 min. CRAZY. Finally park and run to the entrance, to only be stopped again. First going through metal detectors and security who go through your bags. This process is not efficient at all! One security guard is handling two lines of people, but they stop each person so it creates a large back up. Ok so you made it through security and you’re ready to go?! Not so fast, still have to go through the ticket takers. I don’t know what’s worse, those idiots who lost their tickets and block an entrance, or the crappy new finger print scanning they have for season pass holders. I’ve been to the park 5 times this year, and 4 of the 5 there has been an issue with the machine not reading my pass or my finger print. I am not the only one experiencing the issue. After nearly an hour of back and forth, they finally disabled the finger print scanning for my 4 year old. They also have an express last for Discover Card holders; I thought this would speed up the process… boy was I wrong. Moral of the story. Show up later in the day and you won’t waste as much time waiting to just get into the park. Sucks that you have to lose precious roller coaster time.

Rides. Ugh. No longer efficient so be prepared to wait, all the time! I remember the days when they would use at least two ride operators at a time. One would open the gate, another at the back letting off riders. Then both would go around securing seat belts and locks. Six Flags has eliminated the position and this creates terrible setbacks on the smallest of rides. Those I am sticking to more family friendly rides, so I can’t speak for the big coasters like Raging Bull or X-Flight, but the smaller coasters are not being used to full capacity. It’s typical to see extra trains/trams/cars (whatever you want to call them) sitting on the tracks not being used. When you have a line of people, why wouldn’t you pull out the extras? Currently, the Whizzer is only using 2 of its 3 cars, and even on a slow day you can wait for more than 30 minutes. Definitely a big disappointment.

Since I often have my 4 year old in tow, we are always visiting the kids areas. For being a children’s area, I guess Six Flags doesn’t consider them to be kid friendly, because an adult usually has to accompany a child. These rides are all pretty tame, so why should an adult have to squeeze on?

I hope Six Flags changes the signage on these kids rides because the rules are unclear at times. On the most recent trip an older child who had special needs was told he could not ride one of the kiddie rides. His father argued that adults were allowed on the ride, so why should an older child not be allowed with a parent as well? The ride attendant directed him towards the Riding Rules, and was unable to find the exact rule about ride max heights, and this child was left crying. Six Flags needs to better acknowledge their guests with special needs or have detailed ride rules.

Last but not least is food. I hope you like burgers, chicken tenders, corn dogs and pizza, because that’s all you will find. It may seem like Six Flags have several different restaurants, but nope. They all are the same, the only difference is the seasoning and cut of fry that is served. How about eliminating all these extra restaurants/lines and having one large EFFICIENT restaurant. Its crazy how long you have to wait for a slice of cheese pizza. Everything tastes like cardboard anyways. My son made a comment that his chicken tenders tasted like rocks. I took a bite.. it tasted like charcoal. You are probably better off packing a cooler and making a trek back to the car. I will say that the Funnel Cake Sundae’s are excellent, but be prepared to wait forever for one of these! As always, the usual theme park snacks are all over the place, but be prepared to wait for families filling up their soda bottles (btw why do families drink so much soda? It can get really hot, drink some water! And why do you waste so much money on getting each family member their own refillable bottle? Can you really not share?) and since only one person is working these stands, it can get really frustrating.

I know I’ve complained quite a bit, but I still really do love coming here. The 90 seconds of pure joy and the laughter that I share with my 4 year old make the long waits worth it. I have always been a fan of thrill rides and I’m happy to pass along that love and share it with my son. If you can make it out to the park during the work week, you are in luck, because crowds are generally low. I will still continue to make the trek down to Six Flags as long as the prices stay reasonable. Currently I am paying just under $80 for a gold season pass (this includes 2014 admission + fright fest + parking) so it pays for itself within 2 visits. I also have purchased the meal plan ($75) and my son and I just share the meal. Though the food needs improvement, it still keeps us fed, and we can avoid the time consuming trip back to the car.

Six Flags, I have so many wonderful memories of you, and I love all the new ones I am making with my family, but you really need to get your act together and improve the way you operate things. Efficiency should be your most important goal.

9  Thank MilwaukeeJessica