“Outdated, dirty, and unprofessional.”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Champaign, Illinois
“Outdated, dirty, and unprofessional.”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed at the La Quinta Gurnee on a Friday and Saturday. The curb appeal of this hotel is very cheap, and uninviting. The other hotels around it put it to shame. Walking in, check in took at least 15 minutes with one agent at the front desk. The staff members were not friendly, and did not offer a greeting. The room is very small, and outdated. The beds were not comfortable, which is unusual for this brand. The glass in my window was cracked, and I could hear expressway noise from i94. There were only two small towels and bottles of shampoo in the room, when there were two people on my reservation. I went down to the front desk and asked for more toiletries and towels. I got them one hour later after reminding the front desk agent. This is not his fault, but the GM's fault for only having one attendant on a Friday night. The pool and the whirlpool spa were dirty, unfortunately. The breakfast was of a low quality. I have stayed at many other La Quinta properties and given them five stars. This hotel does not get that because the bare minimum was done. In this industry, it is a necessity to go above and beyond, two star hotel off of the freeway or five star hotel in downtown Chicago. Do not waste your time on this hotel. Spend the extra money to go to the Hampton or the Fairfield Inn. This was definitely a disappointing experience and I will never be back. The only good aspect was the housekeeping team, as they do an amazing job in the ROOMS, not the pool area.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Really good location with easy access to downtown Chicago. Along with things to do locally. We were allowed to check-in early. We were traveling to pick up son who was going to school in Chicago. Great place to stay with friendly staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I chose this property for a little R&R and time in the pool. I was disappointed both in the quality of sleep time, and in the hairy condition of the pool.

Pool: warm, but long hairs wrapping around legs and arms makes it gross

Noise: Quiet most of the time, but my upstairs neighbor was a night owl, and I was repeatedly woken up between 1A and 4A by their door clanging shut and locks closing and opening. Construction of the hotel is such that I could hear a person upstairs even when they just sneezed. Similar sounds could be heard to the sides of me.

6 Flags: not really convenient for 6 Flags as it is more than a 1.5 mile walk from hotel to the actual place you enter the 6 Flags park. As yet, there is not a shuttle to 6 Flags.

Shampoo, etc.: new shampoo, coffee are sometimes not left after room is cleaned. No cream is provided. Shampoo is thin and comes in very small container only enough for one head of short hair, not long hair.

Smells: after heavy cleaning perfume wore off, room smelled faintly of urine and stale smoke.

Fitness Center: fitness center is not on site, and is best accessed by car.

Free Breakfast: good.

Room Tip: 4th floor hallway is very smokey, even by non-smoking rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My hubby and I were passing through on 26 hour road trip and needed a place to crash and recharge that was in the middle of our journey. This place fit the bill. It's a typical hotel with typical rooms. I will say that we had a room on the 3rd floor (I believe) and as soon as we got off the elevator, the whole floor smelled of stale smoke. I don't know if that's the smoking floor or what, but it was very off putting. It made me dread going into the room for fear that it too would smell of smoke (I'm allergic). But alas, the room smelled fine.
The woman at the counter the night we checked in was nice enough. The next morning we didn't get out of the room in enough time to have breakfast. During the week I think breakfast stops earlier than on the weekend, which I didn't like. But if you just need a place to lay your head, this place is a worthy option. The woman at the desk the next morning wasn't as nice as the woman the night before, she was just kind of there with no real customer service to speak of. BUT if you need a relatively inexpensive hotel in this area, you can't really go wrong.

Room Tip: I think the 3rd floor is a smoking floor or something. I would avoid it if possible.
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This was a very bad experience of a stay at a hotel for me and I read the reviews - my 14 year old son and I went in for a quick trip to see my other son graduate from Navy boot camp - I was too tired from traveling and our busy schedule to even deal with it or look for another place - the room wreaked of cigarette - the bathroom had rust stains - you could smell marijuana as soon as you got off the elevator - the pool was nasty - I took my son over just for a quick stop so I could change and he was so disgusted and afraid his uniform was going to smell like smoke when he got back to base that he wanted to leave right away -

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were so impressed with this hotel and will definitely stay again when in the Gurnee area. Very clean, the beds were great and the people at the front desk were very attentive and concerned that we have a nice two night stay. Will definitely be coming back! Thank you! P.S. The breakfast food was also very good!