“Very solid choice for Breakfast!”
Review of Point Restaurant

Point Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 143 Restaurants in Gurnee
Chicago, Illinois
“Very solid choice for Breakfast!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We recently moved to Libertyville and my driving route takes me by this place at the junction of Rt 41 and Rt 21. I don't eat breakfast out very often, but I tried it several weeks ago, and then again on a follow up this past week due to how much I enjoyed the first time.

The place is just plain, simple, no frills...really good food (and LOTS of it), really efficient service, friendly can/do attitude, and reasonable prices. Love the omelet, which they make exactly the way I want it... I have really enjoyed both times there and on my fairly infrequent breakfast stops, this will be my choice--I''m positive I won't find anywhere that fits what I look for as well as they do.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank illinois59

Wadsworth, Illinois
“Best Waffles Ever”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

They have the best waffles - hot, crispy and thick - served with hot maple syrup. Service is fast but indifferent. Floors could be cleaner.

• Visited June 2014
Gurnee, Illinois
“Best Breakfast in Gurnee!”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Gurnee is generally known as a fast food wasteland, and the few "higher end" restaurants in the area are mediocre at best. How fun to discover that the most unassuming structure in the entire village has some of the best food around!

My son wanted to take me out to breakfast for Mother's Day, and we had planned to go to Wildberry in Libertyville. The day before, I was told I had to work on Sunday, so we had to change our plans, and instead decided to go to the Point which is right up the street from our house.I had only been there once before, when we first moved here 21 years ago, and was not impressed, but for me it was more about spending time with my son than what was going to be on my plate. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised!

Apparently the restaurant is under new management, and they have really transformed the place and stepped up the menu. It was so much cleaner, more comfortable and cheerier than I remembered. We arrived at 8am (I had to be at work by 10 and had a 25 mile drive) and by 9am people were waiting to get in!
We were graciously greeted by the hostess and seated in a booth by the window.
Please note. This restaurant is literally on a median that divides Rt 41 from Rt 21 (Milwaukee Avenue) so if you are looking for a view, this is not the place for you!

Coffee was served immediately along with my fresh squeezed orange juice, and our waitress arrived promptly. She was able to answer all of our questions and made us feel at home and like regulars.

Now for the best part, our food! There were just so many choices, I was afraid I would miss out! I ordered Red Velvet French Toast, and my son had Chicken Fried Steak and eggs. I can not tell you much about his breakfast because I did not taste it, except to say he loved it. However, I could go on and on about my french toast. Just writing about it makes me drool!

The plate arrived with thick pieces of the wonderfully decadent bread/cake topped with Fresh strawberries and whipped cream. If that wasn't enough, when I cut into a piece I discovered it was stuffed with a custard! Holy cats, I was in heaven!
Just as a side bar, I felt so guilty ordering this in the first place, that I felt compelled to combat the carb and calorie overload by also ordering an over easy egg on the side! It came perfectly cooked.

We enjoyed our meal and got in and out on one of the busiest days of the year without feeling rushed. I made it to work in plenty of time and had a wonderful Mother's Day.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank mladytoy
“Great place for breakfast”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Have been coming to the point since we moved to Gurnee 13 years ago. It has always been good but the newest owner Pete has taken it to the next level. The only problem now is this hidden gem is now becoming too popular.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank EvetsN
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Still the best breakfast, customer service not so much”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We used to live close to the Point prior to 2007 and went there almost every weekend. The pancakes are out of this world as are the skillets. Everytime we go back and visit, we have to stop and eat here at least 1 time. This time, because of the addition of red velvet pancakes, we visited 3 times with friends and family. Food still rocks, red velvet pancakes just as good as a cupcake, however service has gone downhill. We used to know almost everyone, however not anymore. On our second visit, there was one waitress who was above everybody else and she picked and chose which tables she served. She was supposed to have our table, but we were not good enough. She switched and gave it to a nice handsome guy. Very apologetic, however at that point we had been sitting there for at least 15 minutes without even drinks. With 5 kids under 12 who were starving. The nice, polite handsome fellow got the tip and the discriminating waitress got her way. On our third visit, this time less children more adults, it happened again. However, we didn't have to wait that long. And how do we know this you ask, because the first time the guy told us and the second we over heard the cashier ask another waitress. Not sure if it was laziness, rudeness or just plain hate, but will have to rethink this again for Christmas 2012. We will be back. Or not. If you go, just make sure you get a table where the wait staff is smiling. You'll know.

• Visited July 2012