“Still missing some things”

Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Still missing some things”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

This is my second stay here this year, and it was pretty much the same. The rooms are nice and clean, although lacking in the fridge/microwave that most of the Hamoton Inn's seem to have.

I was a little disappointed this time, after looking forward to using the fitness room (that I was told on check in was open until 12 midnight). What they didn't tell me until I was looking for it, it that you actually get a pass to the local Gold's gym up the road. It was cold and wet, and I didn't have access to a car. No exercise for me.

The breakfasts were a litte disappointing this time. To try and be healthy, I forwent my usual waffle for oatmeal. The oatmeal went from almost a solid stodge, to runny gruel depending on who made it that morning. The eggs were dried out each day I tried them. No cookies in the evening either :-(

This is nowhere near the cheapest accomodation, and although a nice clean place to stay, it really is overpriced. Just because it's over the road from 6 flags, doesn't mean it should be so much more than the other Hampton Inn's (especially out of season!).
I still have the same complaint about the lack of respect by housekeeping about my wanting to reuse my towels; I hung them all up, and even went to far as to place the 'I want to reuse my towels' over the towels, but yet there they were all fresh when I came back to my room.

Overall, a nice comfortable place to stay, but overpriced for the amenities.

Room Tip: Even numbers at the back of the hotel overlook the Golden Corral, the front rooms have a slightly be...
1 Thank Yorkiebrit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I recently finished an assignment in the Waukegan / Gurnee area and had 2 - 2 week stays and 1 - one week stay at this hotel. I kept choosing this property as the staff was very friendly and professional and most importantly the room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. I had a king room with a small couch in it. The hotel is kept very clean, the bed was comfortable and I did not feel 'uneasy' sitting on the couch watching TV at night. The only minuses are that the heat/AC unit blows directly on to the desk top so I found myself shutting it off when working at the desk, and the sink area is very narrow with minimal counter area. Overall the cleanliness and comfort of the room made the extended stays easy to deal with. My thanks to the management and staff for making this a welcome stay.

Room Tip: My rooms were on the 'back side' of the property facing away from busy Grand street but the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert G
Waterloo, United States
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The rooms were clean and well maintained. The staff was kind. The coffee was good and available around the clock. The breakfast was well done and had a good variety. Convenient location adjacent to local entertainment and dining. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

2 Thank John D
Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I enjoyed our stay at the Hampton. I chose this location because my son was graduating from Navy boot camp. Although I wanted to be near the camp, I did not want to feel overwhelmed by being in a hotel that was filled to the brim with the families of almost 800 grads. The Hampton was not in Great Lakes, but very close by and provided the breathing room my family needed. The hotel decor was current and attractive. The rooms were clean and comfy. Overall, the hotel was maintained very well.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NishaSivad
San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Very clean and up to date, great staff. The loby area feels very inviting and relaxing, the rooms are great for work when I need to and the beds are VERY comfortable. I visit Gurnee, IL often for business and ONLY stay here!

Room Tip: The morning breakfast is very good. There isn't an attached restraurant, but there are several...
2 Thank Brian D
Jackson, TN
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The hotel was very clean, and the staff was friendly. I will stay at the Hampton again. I definitely recommend this hotel. You get a lot for the price. The location is great although it's a little difficult getting out from the hotel back on grand avenue. The beds are very comfortable. Overall everything was great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank SamuelS158
Bemidji, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Waukegan area. The hotel is clean, well maintained and comfortable. The only problem I had was with a vending machine! The staff was helpful and kind, and we were there with a group of 72 teenagers!! The facilities were adequate for our needs, and nearby restaurants were very accommodating and reasonably priced. Great time, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: some of the rooms were equipped with microwaves and fridges, you may want to check into that if you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends