“Good option near Great America”

Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
New York
“Good option near Great America”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This is a very good option for visiting Great America amusement park. The hotel is a bit more affordable than Key Lime Cove and offers very good value for money. Typical Hampton Inn room - well kept up, clean. Good service from front desk, breakfast attendant.

1 Thank BK-1K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
gurnee, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Very nice hotel with a customer oriented staff. the rooms were clean and spacious. There was always hot coffee and a smiling face. I would recommend this hotel for your next trip to northern Chicago. I will stay again when in the area. Thanks

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Anthony C
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 28 August 2014

This hotel far exceeded my expectations, and I generally have very good experience with the Hampton chain. From my check-in by a courteous, friendly, engaged front desk person, who had a gift bag of bottled water for me as a Hilton Honors member, to the warm, freshly-baked cookies.....the lobby is very tastefully decorated and modern; coffee available 24 x 7. The carpeting in the hallways is plush and had been freshly vacuumed.....so many hotels have worn out, ugly carpeting. My room was immaculately clean; very nicely decorated; stocked with quality amenities in the bathroom and plenty of fresh towels; very quiet, yet the hotel was clearly full. The workout room was better than average---very modern equipment. Complimentary breakfast was excellent---plenty of options, and the buffet was clean and fully stocked. Check out was a breeze. Cost was reasonable---$127/night. A very well-run operation. Highly recommend.

1 Thank applegirl57
Blaine
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I was extremely impressed with this particular Hampton Inn, as I have been with all Hampton Inns I've stayed at. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and forthcoming with information, and I especially appreciated how they called me after we had checked out to inform us that we had (stupidly - my word, not theirs) left behind several items in our room and they were holding them for us until we returned for them. The breakfast was top notch, best complimentary breakfast I've had at any hotel. I also appreciated that they allowed us to leave our car there after we'd checked out to go to Great America across the street, thus saving us the cost of parking. If we ever return to Gurnee, it's a no-brainer, we will be staying at the Hampton Inn.

2 Thank motorboat5150
Elizabethtown, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed one night for a business trip. It was very convenient right off the freeway. and was happy for so many choices on food. The location was perfect for our client meetings, and we had a great experience with our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank Maria J
thankfulmomof3
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My three kids and I stayed here back on on August 13 for one night when we were in Gurnee on vacation visiting Six Flags. Of course prior to deciding to stay here (even though we have stayed at other Hampton properties in the past and been very satisfied), I did go through the reviews here on Tripadvisor. At first I was thinking of the Key Lime Cove property which they say is located right next door to Six Flags and also has an indoor water park. But then when reading the reviews of how loud it is in there and how most of the water park items are geared towards younger (think 10 and under) kids and most importantly the OUTRAGEOUS price ($230 for one night??!!!) I thought no thanks, and thus decided on the Hampton Inn and I am glad that I did! The hotel is in a safe great area with lots of restaurants and gas stations around, and within close proximity of the interstate as well. The parking is free here and it is about 10-15 minute walk to Six Flags down a sidewalk and then you cross over a crosswalk with lights. This however is my only complaint about our stay. For someone who has small children or mobility issues, this would not be a walk that I would recommend and one that they could most likely not do. I was also very uncomfortable having to walk next to such a busy road and even though the intersection by Six Flags where you cross the street to get there does have stop lights, that still made me uncomfortable as some of the cars did not even appear that they were going to stop even though we had the walk light!!! I really wish that the Hampton Inn offered the use of it's shuttle to it's guests who are desiring to go to Six Flags. While it was great NOT having to pay the $25 to park at Six Flags (yes I said TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!), it was still nerve wracking having to walk there with all of that traffic! I know that Key Lime Cove DOES have a free shuttle to and from Six Flags that drops you right off at the front gate. Besides this though the hotel was clean and the beds were comfortable, the rooms were tastefully decorated and they had nice bathrooms with the sink outside of the toilet and shower area, which was nice when we were taking turns taking showers and getting ready. The ladies at the front desk were fantastic as were the housekeepers, very nice and professional and you could tell that they took a lot of pride not only in the hotel itself but in their guests and their work. The soundproofing was great we did not hear anything outside of our room and we were on the 5th floor, which when Six Flags has fireworks I would recommend asking for a room on the 5th floor facing the south as there is a great unobstructed view of the park from there! There are several resturants and pizza places that are close by that you could drive or walk to to pick up dinner and we actually orderd from Giordano's and it was GREAT! We had a pizza party in our room and the pizza was delivered directly to our room and after a long (but very fun!!) day at the park it was fantastic! The shower was also great it had one of those massage shower heads with different settings and the water temperature was superb! They also use Neutrogena products and those were also wonderful! The breakfast the next morning was great, scrambled eggs, waffles, sausages, potatoes, cereals, yogurt, bagels, toast, fresh fruit, oatmeal, coffee, milk and a variety of tea and juices! Oh and did I mention the HEAVENLY WARM FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES that are served in the lobby in the evenings??? Check out and check in were also a breeze and we were able to check in early which was great since we wanted to get to the park as soon as it opened. My kids did make it down to the pool for a bit, but they said that it was rather small and it is outside so if you go when it isn't warm outside you're going to be out of luck when it comes to swimming! I do not believe that they have a hot tub either. We did not check to see if there was a fitness area located on the property. Over all I was very satisfied staying here, other than again they really need to offer the shuttle service to and from Six Flags. We are actually planning on staying here again in October when we return for Fright Fest :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the fifth floor facing the south if you want a great unobstructed view of Six Flag...