“Great location for a Six Flags visit”

Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This Holiday Inn is very modern and well appointed. Our standard room had the look and feel of a more expensive hotel. There is a restaurant and bar within the building and a spacious indoor pool with hot tub, excercise room and game room. The shuttles will take you to Six Flags saving you $20 per day in parking fees at the park. The people were very helpful at checkin and informative about the hotel and immediate area. Will definately stay here the next time we visit Six Flags. Oh, and there's a mall across the street.

• Stayed: August 2012
Aquelah R, Sales and Catering Coordinator at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Thank you for the review!! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you do choose to stay with us again during your next Six Flags visit.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

On August 5th, 2012, my family of 7, drove to Gurnee to spend the night and take our 5 children to Great America...The evening we arrived we had dinner and let our children swim in the pool. I hung my daughters swimsuits on the back of the bathroom door to dry...unfortunetly I forgot to grab them the morning we left for the amusement park. I called the front desk about 45 mins after we left and had already entered the park...The women assured me they would have them in a bag at the front desk for me to pick up that evening...When I arrived back at the hotel I was informed no one turned in any suits and they checked the room and with housekeeping...I could not believe someone would steal my childrens swimsuits. My oldest daughter was so upset as she had just saved up money to buy her own new suit from Victorias Secret...she had only worn it once....I am writing this to inform anyone who may stay there that there is a thief that works there and management did nothing about it but say " sorry"...so be careful not to leave anything out or heaven forbid leave anything in the room because it will be GONE...and they wont do a thing about it.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank wendi s

Thank you for the review! It is very unfortunate that your daughters' swimsuits were never found and we do apologize for that. Your comments have been passed on to our General Manager and Executive Housekeeping staff and we will continue to look for your daughters' swimsuits. We appreciate your comments very much as they help us to be a more efficient hotel and once again, we do apologize for the experience you had with us.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed here for one night after spending a long day at Great America. It was fantastic! The hotel just opened in May so everything was brand new. I'm not even sure anyone had ever stayed in our room. Everything was clean, bright and shiny. I loved the Bath & Body Works products in the bath. Precious, the front desk clerk was great. We did use the pool and hot tub which were both in perfect working order. Just an FYI, there was not a minibar/fridge and I don't remember seeing a room safe but we didn't need either. We did not eat in the restaurant so i can't comment on the food. Great value and I absolutely would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LuckyStLouis

Thank you for the review!! We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed here for a few days doing Gurnee Mills, Bristol rennesaince faire and Great America. First the good. Staff is super friendly and willing to helps specially the drivers. Shuttle service to and from the amusement park was a great perk. The driver had cold water for us on our way to a 95 degree day. Breakfast was very good. The place is obviously new and has that new hotel feel. The bad...I called the night after we left because I left my glasses in our room. No luck, gone. 3 calls later no luck. (my fault they were left but, where did they go?)....also, I wouldn't call this hotel clean. We stayed there 3 days and the elevator wasn't vacuumed once. Stains on the carpet in the halls etc... The ugly....as some have mentioned earlier they got issues with the hot tub/pool. See pics

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mark M
Aquelah R, Sales and Catering Coordinator at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Thank you for the review! We find it very unfortunate that you did not have a great stay with us and apologize that your glasses have not yet been found. Your comments in regards to the cleanliness of the elevators and carpets as well as those in regards to the hot tub and pool have all been passed on to housekeeping and maintenance. We thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention and ensure that if you do have choose to stay with us again, you will have a better experience.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Despite some questionable reviews we booked knowing it was a new hotel. Unfortunately online booking messed up our reservation and did not send a confirmation email so we did not find out until checking in. Front desk supervisor was wonderful in apologizing and providing discounted rate since our desired room was not available. Then things got worse...pool was not working, sewer gas backed up into our room all night (which we didn't pinpoint until morning) and a simple I am sorry was issued by the front desk attendant at checkout ... never mind it being a hazardous chemical that our children had been breathing in for 10+ hours. Beautiful room...but overall very disappointed and thankful we are all still healthy.

Room Tip: Tip...make sure you check over your room very closely before checking in for the night.
3  Thank TB006

Thank you so much for the review. The experience you had with us is completely inexcusable and we hope that you accept our sincere apologies. I have notified our Chief Engineer and General Manager of the problems you experienced during your stay and we will ensure that these issues are immediately resolved and do not happen again. We truly appreciate your review as it is guests like you that help us to become a better hotel.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

When I checked the lady at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. I think her name was Precious.. I had a King reserved and I asked for two doubles and she said no problem. Rooms nice size VERY comfortable beds that I wish I had at home. The hotel restaurant at night is short staffed.. I think they need one or two people but food was good. The overall experience was great.. If you have kids and are in the area it's the best hotel for the price in Gurnee!!!

4  Thank Zigman11

Thank you for the review!! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and are honored that you consider us to be your choice hotel in Gurnee. We appreciate your comments in regards to the restaurant and they have been passed on to our Restaurant Manager. Once again, thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 19 July 2012

Let me start by saying this... what a beautiful hotel, very clean,the lobby was very clean, nice clean rooms, pool area, restuarant! I booked a last minute over night trip for my son and I this past weekend(July14th) at the Holiday inn convention center in Gurnee,IL, all of the other hotels are booked so I got lucky by them having a room left. I book over the phone. everything was great gave them all my information and debit card number! I ask the person on the phone what time is check-in, she tells me 3:00pm and I ask her I am using my DEBIT CARD not a credit card and she says that was fine, not a problem!! My son and I get there at about 2:50pm and I ask to see if we can check in and the girl says "No your room is not ready yet" I say really I thought check in was at 3:00pm, she says no it is at 4:00pm.I was not happy about that, so I say why did they tell me 3:00pm, I took a metra train and the pace bus, my son is tired and hot , he need to rest and take his asthma meds. She say I dont know why they would tell you that, I say to her well they did. I say fine we will go sit in the lobby and wait, I ask if my son can go swimming and she tells me "no not until you check-in", I was fuming by then.We go sit back down to wait about ten minutes later, she says "oh whats your last name again" so I tell her and she says we have a room ready for you! Here is where I get more angry.. She says to me can I have your card and id, I had her my DEBIT CARD and she looks at me and says "there will be an extra 50.00 dollar charge for incedentials, I said wait one minute Noone told me about an extra charge, they told me what it would be and that is what was avaliable to use on the card. She tells me let me see what I can do, she comes back and says to me "ok the fee will be waived" then her attuitude changd at this point... She tells me" well If you damage anything your card will be charged and we are a 100 percent smoke-free hotel and the fee for smoking in the room is 250.00!!!! At that point if there would have been any other hotel to go to we would have left!!! I lloked at her and said I do not go around damaging hotel rooms, I take offense to that also my son has asthma so I DONT SMOKE!!! I got my room keys and went up to our room!! Everything after that was great!!!! My son and I swam until 10:45pm we used the computers in the lobby!!! Now Sunday morning I take my son to the pool so he can swim before we have to check-out and there is a sighn on the door saying the pool will be closed until 5:00pm! I was annoyed at that!!! We go to the restuarant that is there, I was not feeling well so I asked if my son can take his plate up to our room and I was told no that is not allowed, BUT there was a gentlemen who took his food up to his room, and I asked why can that man take his up and I cant, she tells me " HE IS A SPECIAL GUEST" THAT really mad me mad!!! after that we just went to our room packed up and left!!! It was a very beautiful and clean place BUT THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE ALL EMPLOYEES GIVE THE CORRECT INFORMATION AND TREAT PEOPLE NICELY!!!!

3  Thank Chrissy1975

Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel. What you and your son experienced during your stay was unacceptable. Please accept our apologies for the treatment you received at the Front Desk and in the Restaurant. Your comments have been sent to the department managers and will be addressed. We truly appreciate your comments, both the negative and positive, as they help us to be a better hotel. Thank you again and we hope that despite your negative experience you do choose to stay with us again.