“Very nice hotel, Restaurant not so good...”

Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel and convention center were very nice. Rooms were clean, up to date and comfortable.
Everything from the Front desk to the convention meals, bar, hotel rooms, beds were great.
However we went to the hotel restaurant, Spice....we went on Saturday and were given a menu that says "Monday - Friday Only". This menu was very limited, basically chicken, a salad or a hamburger. When we asked for the Saturday menu, the waitress said she would bring it, then she came back later and said it wasn't available today...We ordered sandwiches and waited a half hour for our food to arrive. The restaurant was not busy, unless 15 people is busy for this place. We did not get checked on until most of us were almost done with our food. The food was ok, but everyone commented there was a weird aftertaste to their food. We waited another good amount of time for the waitress to return with our bills, which were all incorrect and had to be redone. Our entire group commented on the poor service and very small menu for a convention center restaurant. We wont be back.....

Room Tip: All of the rooms we viewed were good....
Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Rooms are fine. Staff is great. Breakfast is very good but might not be free so try to get this included. Lunch/dinner restaurant is pricey. Right across the street from Gurnee Mills shopping mall and many other shops and eateries nearby. Six Flags about 1/2 mile away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mitchmurr
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Stayed for three nights. Staff was friendly and courteous. Housekeeping quite accomodating. We had our two grandchildren over to use the pool and the pool area is nice sized with swim towels and seating readily available. Lobby, entry and restaurant area combination of music and TV volumes was a bit overpowering. Our room was called a king leisure room. Average sized but the bath was definitely a one person arrangement. Very quite and clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I live in the Gurnee area, and did not stay at the hotel, but I did have dinner at the "Spice Restaurant" in the hotel. A hotel is not usually the place I would choose to eat dinner, but my experience at this one was delightful! They have some top-notch chefs preparing the meals at this restaurant and the food is delicious. We started with a cream of onion soup that was out of this world...followed by a plate of pork medallions with mushrooms and grilled vegetables. The pork was tender enough to cut with a fork and melted in my mouth. Everything on the plate was fabulous...and was enough for two.

Their lunch menu, which is limited, also features one side filled with authentic Indian dishes, which I have yet to try. I have no doubt that I will be returning to this little gem in the Gurnee Mills area, laced with so many chain and fast food restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This Holiday Inn is at a perfect location for a great price. The hotel is very updated with a nice patio and indoor pool. It is also super clean and housekeeping is done promptly when requested. The hotel staff were the nicest and most accommodating that I have ever met, which is saying something since I travel extensively. I would most definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This is a very nice, clean, modern hotel. It is located just off I-94, accross the street from Gurnee Mills Mall and many places to eat (which are within easy walking distance). It is less than a 5 minute drive to Great America. Despite being near all this, the hotel is quiet and peaceful. I had a king room which was very clean and had modern accomodations. The TV could have been a little bigger, but was still ok. Breakfast was good with a nice assortment of hot and cold foods. Also had a nice bar/restaurant and lounge area. Although I did not use it, the pool looked good. I would saty here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We spent one night at this hotel. it's right across from the Gurnee Mills mall at a very bsy intersection. But none of that invades the hotel. It's calm and quiet and tastefully furnsihed. All the staff was nice: the front desk, the housekeeping staff, the waitresses. The bath tub didn't seal properly. I ran a bath with bath salts and was surprised that I couldn't smell any of the essential oils. Well after I turned the water off, I found out why. The water was gurgling away. The ice bucket didn't have a plastic bag - not sure why not. and it would be very nice if the rooms had fridges. The food at the restaurant was good. Both our kids ate free for dinenr and breakfast. The wait staff was very nice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gurnee
Hampton Inn Chicago/Gurnee
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Gurnee, IL
La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Gurnee
Fairfield Inn Chicago Gurnee
Courtyard Chicago Waukegan/Gurnee

Been to Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center? Share your experiences!