“Excellent Stay”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Stay”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It was our first stay with this hotel and we were not sure what to expect. We arrived around noon and were not sure if we could check in.

Brian at the desk was amazing. He assisted us with the early check in and when he learned that we were in the area to do some shopping he took some time to explain about the shopping mall. They also provide shuttle transportation to the mall.

We were on the 4th floor and it was very quiet. Their parking is very convenient. Our 7 years old daughter loved their pool. Overall it was great stay experience!

Thank You Holiday Inn!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zuko1
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your "Excellent" review. We are always happy to shuttle our guests over to the mall or to Six Flags.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Nice lobby, excellent guest services, easy wi-fi access, nice breakfast, convenient parking, and COMFORTABLE BEDS! Easy access to the tollway, close to Abbott and right across the street from Gurnee Mills Outlet mall!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jane G
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Jane G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels. We appreciate your compliments regarding our hotel, nice lobby, excellent guest services, easy wi-fi access, nice breakfast, convenient parking, and comfortable beds. We strive to give great and impressive service to all of our guests and it makes us happy to read we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Once again thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise.

Krysllin G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I attended a conference here March 28, 29 & 30. Arrived early at about 2.30pm for check in. Was prepared to wait but...........not at all. Front desk was well organized and I was greeted in an efficient and friendly manner. Rom was available and proved to be comfortable and adequate although small. the bathroom was a very old conversion. Fine for me but if wife had been along it would have been crowded. I was disappointed there was no refrigerator or microwave in the room. Room was clean and bed was relatively comfortable. Blackout curtains actually worked. I had no complaints about the room for the two days I was there.
I had dinner with a group of 8 on Friday night. We were really the only peole in the dinning room.The food was casual witha menu split between plain American and East Indian. I ordered a curry dish which proved to be dry and not cooked in any kind of sauce. The flavor was good but the dryness took away from the enjoyment. I did participate in the breakfast buffet both days. The scrambled eggs were real and not cooked to a faretheewell! The bacon and sausage and hashbrowns were good. Coffee service was prompt and efficient.
I also attende the banquet at which 320 full dinners were served. I chose the chicken and later wished I had had the beef.The chicken was dry but tasty. Most had the beef and reports were very positive. The salad was fresh. Dessert was not memorable and service was as slow as one might expect.However, the hotel did a good job although smaller than I expected. It was a squeeze to handle 700 registrants for the main meetings on Saturday. Nevertheles, a good time was had by all.

Room Tip: Rooms are WELL separated from the main rooms so the entire sleeping area is blessedly quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Manus S
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Yes, we are a Holiday Inn! Our hotel was renovation of the year when we re-opened in 2012 and all or our banquet space and restaurant are brand new. We really enjoyed having your conference here and thank you for all of your kind comments.
Minneapolis MN
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center on two nights for a recent seminar put on by a professional organization. Checking in was painless, they already had my key card ready in the envelope - just had to let them verify my ID and Credit Card. Rooms were clean and quiet. Although it is close enough to the highway for easy access it is far enough away to avoid any excess noise. There is a large shopping center directly across the road so you have access to most of the usual chains for food options. I had breakfast and one dinner in the hotel restaurant both were solid - I wouldn't bring a date here for dinner but it certainly worked to get a quick healthy meal. As typical, the breakfast buffet isn't cheap at $11 but that seems to be typical for these properties. I just grabbed a Clif bars from the snacks area by the front desk and drank the free coffee in my room - not bad for $1.50.

The conference facilities were very good as well - Our group of 110 people were kept well fed. The hosts had chosen a make-your-own sandwich and salad bar for the lunches - which can be a pain for a large group but the line didn't take too long when using both sides of the buffet for access. Everything was tasty and kept very fresh with three lunch meats and a variety of fresh rolls and bread. Canned soda was available in a refrigerated display case instead of the typical bowl of ice so you didn't get a wet can of soda and the coffee was hot and plentiful for every break. The staff were very helpful with lights and support for the projection.

Although it is technically closer to Chicago than Milwaukee I chose to avoid O'Hare and flew into MKE. Left the meeting at 4:30 - stopped to fill up my rental car with gas, dropped off the car and made it through security by 5:30. Traffic on a Wednesday afternoon was a non-issue.

One nit to pick - The hotel website claims an Olympic size pool - While it is large for a suburban hotel, I paced it off at not more than 16 yards so it didn't work for getting my laps in.

Room Tip: My room on the East side overlooking the conference area worked really well. The fourth floor was v...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Stay here for one night before a graduation at Great Lakes. It is a newer Holiday Inn right off the freeway. We did not get to the hotel until almost 10:00 pm but we were greeted very friendly and helpful. I was so tired from traveling that I could not remember his name. But I have no complaints at all.

Stayed February 2014
Lake Villa, Illinois
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Overall this was a nice hotel. My boyfriend and I originally booked a king size bed for one evening and after being there we couldn't resist spending another night there. Our bed was comfortable. Beautiful room overall. Some of the things I found to be negatives though were the following: pool was cold, I think there was a lot of chlorine in the pool/hot tub because we both had red marks on us after and our eyes were red, we didn't have Kleenex in our room when we first entered, we noticed there was a tissue under the bed, the fan in the room was pretty loud and in the standard king room we had booked there was no refrigerator or microwave. I noticed after being in the room had we spent more that we could have that in the room, but oh well. There was a good selection of TV stations available and the hotel was clean and looked new. We didn't use the bar though it looked awesome and like something we would have enjoyed. The staff was very friendly and informed us on everything upon check in. I would come back to this hotel and recommend it to others.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amber K
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Excellent quality service! The staff were superb. Any issues my Mother and I had the staff was quick to help or solve. I'm a disabled veteran and I sometime have special needs and they were able to accommodate me and that really helped my Mother.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Stephen M, Manager at Holiday Inn Gurnee Convention Center, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Thank you for recognizing our staff and thank you for your service!