“Poor cleanliness/odor, run down room & No wake-up call” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Chicago - Gurnee

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Gurnee
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Gurnee
Chesterton, IN
“Poor cleanliness/odor, run down room & No wake-up call”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel just as a place to rest our heads for the night. We arrived at 9pm and left out early the next morning.

Upon check in I noticed the hallway carpeting was very dirty and the hall contained a bad odor. Upon entering my non-smoking room I also smelled an annoying odor. It made me feel like the room was unclean.

The faucets in both the kitchenette and bathroom had a crud build-up from years of improper cleaning. The furniture was worn down too. I had black stains on my pillow which resembled mascara...made me wonder if the sheets had been changed.

I asked for a 5:30am wake up call, and never got it. It made us scramble to get out the door to get to where we were going, on time.

There was a loud knocking noise coming from the ceiling in the kitchenette all night. Possibly banging pipes?

I also reserved room with a 22% discount code. The front desk showed the code, but had no idea what it was for. I had to call the main 800 number to have them reflect the discount. Then I find out that they charge me for the full amount of the room and that when I check out the next morning, the discount will be credited back to my card. Does that make sense!? Well when I went to check out, the clerk didn't know how to credit my discount back. I had to call in later and talk to a manager, in order to get the credit. She informed me the credit would take up to 5 days to show back on my credit card.

I am not a fussy person. When I go to a hotel, I don't expect glamour and a ton of amenities...just a clean place to rest my head and an easy check-in/check-out. The hotel failed in both of these areas.

On a positive note, the front desk staff were polite.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Nekoosa, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Our first visit to this hotel did not leave us wanting to return. When we complained, the manager immediately responded to our concerns. We were hesitant to stay again, but are glad we did. The room was great, the breakfast sufficient to get your day started and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The full kitchen facilities would be great for travelers on a budget or with children and not wantin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here for one night and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I preferred a better selection of breakfast; however, couldn't complain because the cost wasn't bad at all and not worth the fuss (Go Priceline)! It's in an extremely convenient location surrounded by loads of restAurants and Walmart including just miles away from Kenosha/Prairie View outlet mall. I was pleasantly surprised the elevator worked without long waiting times and never crowded.

• Stayed August 2013
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 months for business and found the staff and management to be extremely friendly and always willing to help out. The manager does an outstanding job and wants you to have a good stay. I would recommend this hotel to anybody, but for those of you who might be looking to for a place to stay while visiting Great America or anything else in the Gurnee area, this is a great spot. The rooms are clean and there is free Wi-fi. Additionally, there is a small breakfast bar in the morning with fruit and granola bars and whatnot. It also has easy interstate access and is within walking distance of many restaurants; if you want to drive only a couple miles there are many, many more restaurants nearby, and also a very large shopping mall. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank John G
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Let me start by saying the front desk staff was pleasant and after that I can find nothing positive to say. We travel all the time and have never run into anything like this. The refrigerator had old dried brown particles of something that was left for who knows how long in it. The bathroom floor had a white powder(I hope it wasn't a drug!) all over the floor. The pillow cases had clean ones to the front but the ones behind had not been changed. I honestly believe they changed towels front pillow cases and that is it in this room. If it wasn't so late when we had arrived I would have said charge us anyway and we will find somewhere else. This by far was the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DianeB02
Nekoosa, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Upon arriving, the front clerk (an older woman) was out of sight, but having a conversation with 2 others in back of the desk about how people who get a good deal on Priceline shouldn't expect much. I feel that if Extended Stay America accepts a price from a third party, no matter which one (Expedia, etc.) that guest should get the same service/accomodations as anyone else. The toilet was clogged when we first used it at a little after 5 p.m. and we were told Mainenance was gone for the day, so they sent up a plunger. There were no washcloths in the room. There was coffee and a coffee pot (+), but no sugar or creamer (-)/ The refrigerator had been leaking for some time, because the laminate floor in front of it was wet and already buckled. At one time there had been a table in the corner, which would have been nice because there was no place to plug a computer in if you wanted to work on it without draining the battery. The carpeting on the 3rd floor looks like it has never been cleaned. On the positive side, the bed was clean and comfortable. The location to restaurants and shopping is great. The clerk on duty when we checked out was a young black woman and could not have been friendlier.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a 2-1/2 star room when searching. It can make a big difference. I will never go for a 2 s...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northjudi
Friendswood, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very Friendly Staff!!! Great people to look forward to in the morning and when you get back from work. Always receive a warm welcome and a smile.
Property is well maintained and very clean. I will definitely stay here on my future visit.

Room Tip: My room is on the south on the second floor. Extremely quite. Easy to get in and out of the property...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business