“Not "pet" friendly”

Extended Stay America - Chicago - Gurnee
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Gurnee
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have 2 gripes

1. They have a $25 non-refundable "pet" deposit. The purpose of my stay was to participate at a dog show. My dogs are well behaved and probably cleaner than most guests. I think there should be a distinction between working dogs...such as service dogs, companion dogs and show dogs...and your everyday mutt that tags along with the Griswald's going to Wallyworld.

2. The bed was horribly firm and I couldn't sleep due to pain in my hips. On the 2nd night, I asked the hotel clerk for 5 blankets, to buffer the firm mattress. Thank goodness that worked and I got sleep!

Other than that...the hotel is clean (for the most part). It's convenient to a variety of restaurants within walking distance and easy access to the expressway.

Room Tip: Ask for extra blankets to buffer the extra firm mattresses! The kitchen is fully equipped...just bri...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Overall quality is very poor. The rooms are not very sound proof. The hotel itself needs some upgrading. I do not recommend! We checked in on a Friday and the room cleaning would not occur until the next Friday. In Sept. 2013 we stayed at an Extended Stay in Schaumburg IL., checked in on a Sunday and the room was cleaned that next Thursday. There was no waiting a full week before the room got cleaned again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Worse place I have ever stayed!! Staff were incredibly rude. Rooms were in terrible condition. Smelled horrible... There was dog hair and spider webs in all corners and spaces. Do not waste your money. I didn't even sleep there cause it gave me creepy crawly feeling. Put up $10-15 and get a room across the street!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I just completed a 4 night stay at this hotel and I must say that I was thoroughly pleased with my stay. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading mixed reviews about this property. I received a very clean and comfortable room at an affordable price. The property is starting to show its age; however, it is very well maintained. Even the elevator works great. The hallway carpets need to be cleaned. I had a room with a queen sized bed and kitchen. The hotel is near several restaurants and a couple of local attractions. The hotel also provides free wi-fi and breakfast. I will stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Robert R
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel just as a place to rest our heads for the night. We arrived at 9pm and left out early the next morning.

Upon check in I noticed the hallway carpeting was very dirty and the hall contained a bad odor. Upon entering my non-smoking room I also smelled an annoying odor. It made me feel like the room was unclean.

The faucets in both the kitchenette and bathroom had a crud build-up from years of improper cleaning. The furniture was worn down too. I had black stains on my pillow which resembled mascara...made me wonder if the sheets had been changed.

I asked for a 5:30am wake up call, and never got it. It made us scramble to get out the door to get to where we were going, on time.

There was a loud knocking noise coming from the ceiling in the kitchenette all night. Possibly banging pipes?

I also reserved room with a 22% discount code. The front desk showed the code, but had no idea what it was for. I had to call the main 800 number to have them reflect the discount. Then I find out that they charge me for the full amount of the room and that when I check out the next morning, the discount will be credited back to my card. Does that make sense!? Well when I went to check out, the clerk didn't know how to credit my discount back. I had to call in later and talk to a manager, in order to get the credit. She informed me the credit would take up to 5 days to show back on my credit card.

I am not a fussy person. When I go to a hotel, I don't expect glamour and a ton of amenities...just a clean place to rest my head and an easy check-in/check-out. The hotel failed in both of these areas.

On a positive note, the front desk staff were polite.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Our first visit to this hotel did not leave us wanting to return. When we complained, the manager immediately responded to our concerns. We were hesitant to stay again, but are glad we did. The room was great, the breakfast sufficient to get your day started and the staff was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The full kitchen facilities would be great for travelers on a budget or with children and not wantin...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed here for one night and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I preferred a better selection of breakfast; however, couldn't complain because the cost wasn't bad at all and not worth the fuss (Go Priceline)! It's in an extremely convenient location surrounded by loads of restAurants and Walmart including just miles away from Kenosha/Prairie View outlet mall. I was pleasantly surprised the elevator worked without long waiting times and never crowded.

• Stayed: August 2013