“Paradise”

Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Veligandu
Reviewed 9 July 2014

It has always been our dream to visit Maldives and through tripadvisor reviews we decided on Veligandu resort. We didn't get disappointed. The minute we landed in Male we were welcomed in the lounge for Veligandu clients and the lounge is nice and clean. Then we were escorted to the seaplane and we flew to Veligandu island resort and once again once we landed on the island the staff welcomed us with cool towel and drinks. We stayed in the jacuzzi over the water villa and it has the most amazing view ... Truly paradise. We opted for all inclusive and it was a good decision. Food was delicious and has great variety. The beach had fine white sand. The water was crystal clear. The staff were amazingly accommodating, nice and helpful ( special thanks to
Jackie ! ) ... I highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to visit Maladives even for once in their life ....

• Stayed: June 2014
9  Thank TurksinLove
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear TurksinLove,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

I would like to Thank You for the wonderful review that you have wrote.

It is very pleasing to read that we have exceeded your expectations.

Fathuhulla Ibrahim - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,641)

Reviewed 9 July 2014

At the midpoint of a round the world journey, we stayed at Veligandu for 3 weeks to recharge.

Food:
-plenty of healthy options and exceptionally vegetarian friendly buffet; perhaps the best quality buffet food we have ever experienced.
-wine was great

Beach:
-beautiful soft powder in some areas and rough with shells and pieces of coral in others
-staff work to keep the beach very clean despite some guests using it as their ashtray

House Reef:
-not the Great Barrier Reef, but the house reef is still good
-we saw 1 turtle, many sharks and a few stingrays
-some of the snorkelling equipment is due for replacement

Room:
-we had 3 different rooms and they were all clean, luxurious and modern; we were told by staff all rooms have jacuzzis despite not being advertised that way
-we were also told by staff that children are allowed in the 15+ rooms if parents sign a waiver. In our water villa rooms we could hear crying and and screeching throughout the day, even with the doors closed. Kids should be able to be kids, but for some vacationers an 'adults only' area may be important, so we wanted to note it is not adhered to.
-the water villas have crabs lining the bottom few steps. This may well be "standard" in water villas, but if one was phobic they may want forewarning! They do stay out of your way.
-most of the "beach" villas are actually fronted by foliage, so good if you want private, but not ideal if you want to see the ocean (although it's very close)

Seaplane transfer:
-we were initially told we would have to wait 6 hours for our transfer which was shortened to 2 only after we protested. Staff at this end were great, and we were able to wait in a comfortable lounge with drinks and wifi.

Weather:
-of 20 days, only 2 were rainy, although there was a light sprinkle each day
-overall it was hot sunny and wonderful so don't let the low / storm season deter you

Service /Staff:
-the vast majority were friendly, respectful, helpful and attentive
-we had a rather disappointing experience regarding our reservation not being honoured, causing us to incur extra costs, hassle and loss of opportunity. This left a bad taste in our mouth after what was otherwise a lovely experience

Room Tip: -the sunset side is rather wavy and windy this time of year so if you envision snorkelling from your...
3  Thank RTWin2014

Dear Sockette,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

I would like to Thank You for the detailed Review that you have given us.

I am so happy that you have enjoyed the 3 weeks well deserved Holiday.

Thank You for mentioning some Noteworthy points in your review which will be helpful for us to improve our Service.

I am looking forward to see you on your next Holiday soon. Meanwhile, you can also visit and click the LIKE button on our Facebook Page which is Veligandu Island Resort & Spa ( Official Hotel Page).

Reviewed 6 July 2014

It's been another truly amazing holiday at Maldives for us, but this time it was really special thanks to the Veligandu team!

Location & grounds. Approaching the island on the seaplane you get to notice how small it is, as well as how green the grounds are and how beautiful the lagoon is. Not the smallest resort out there, for sure, but with only around 90 villas, most of which are over-water bungalows, it does deliver the privacy you'd expect. Beach villas and main buildings are hidden in the lush gardens, so you barely see it from the beach. By the way, the sand is really soft everywhere around the island, almost no shells or corals! So if you're looking for a tropical hideaway and want to escape from the big city crowds, this is definitely the place. But the atoll is really small (2 resorts, Veligandu and Kurumba, and a couple of local islands), so there's a little choice of excursions, really - make sure that this is what you're looking for, otherwise you may get bored pretty soon.

Lifestyle & dress-code. "No news, no shoes" works great here and you feel totally relaxed right from the start - sandy roads and floors everywhere let you forget about the shoes and dress-code, we haven't put our slippers on a single time! The dress-code seems to be missing completely, just don't show up naked and it's fine. But the lack of dress-code is striking sometimes, when you see a man wearing swimming shorts and, luckily, a t-shirt at the lunch. Well, not that we felt embarrassed about it too much, but hey, this was a restaurant, not some kind of a swim-up bar, so it was pretty... strange.

Rooms. Bungalows are well-equipped with all you might need and you barely notice any signs of wear after you're unpacked, although it was built around 7 years ago. Still, I think it should be refurbished soon to keep it up with the price (and we did see some renovation works held there). At least I wish the walls are decorated in some other way, better if finished with wood instead of some old-style paint. But what's most important, you'll feel like home right away, cz the rest is ok: big flat TV for rainy days or hot noons, open-air jacuzzi with ocean views for JWV, a cozy bed and nice wooden floor. Room is cleaned twice a day, mini bar gets restocked asap.

Dining & buffet resto. The food at the main restaurant is pretty much ok. Could be better in terms of variety for main course, probably, but you get plenty of fruits and desserts all day long (ice-cream twice a day was nice), so I would give it solid 4 out of 5 for this price. The quality was ok, but who would expect else? Plus, you don't have a fixed waiter based on your table or room, which was pretty new to us, but I think this even helps to make job better.

Water sports & entertainment. Water sports along with entertainment program are pretty limited, due to the island scale I guess, but there's a pretty good house reef with an easy access on the west side, where you can spend hours snorkeling. And if you like fishing, should be ok too, as I've seen a couple of guys returned with a catch which was later prepared at the buffet. And there's diving as well. Sharks, rays, coral fish - all this is pretty usual if you've been to Maldives before, but this is the first place we've seen so many moray eels, dog face puffer fish and octopus. Enjoyed snorkeling every day!

Stuff. As I've said in the beginning, the stuff deserves all the good words, both in terms of friendliness and attentiveness. Hands down, Veligandu team was the best stuff we ever met at Maldives yet! Including our room-boy Moosa, who did an amazing job every day keeping our Villa fresh and cleaned. And people from reception were always ready to help with anything. Thank you for making our holiday so special!

As a conclusion, this is our first island at Maldives we're actually planning to return soon.

Room Tip: During low season I'd recommend the West side for the breeze, as the East side gets too hot by 1...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank PavelUA
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear PavelUA,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Thank You very much for your positive review.

I am so glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Your informative review will be very much helpful for all the people out there who are very much interested to try the Veligandu Island Resort & Spa experience.

I am hoping to see you on your next holiday soon. Meanwhile, you can also visit and click the LIKE button on our Facebook Page which is Veligandu Island Resort & Spa ( Official Hotel Page).

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We spent a week on Veligandu Island as a family. We were met on the island by Munjid, who was ever attentive to our needs and went out of his way to make our stay as pleasant as he could. The resort was very clean, the staff were friendly and the food was very good. I found the mattress to be too firm, but this is a personal preference so I cannot fault the resort. As we are all unlicensed divers, we did a resort dive course and a shallow (10 meter) dive accompanied by the instructors. I found both instructors to be very knowledgable and professional. My youngest daughter (10) did the dive too and was looked after by one of the instructors. She enjoyed it tremendously, and I felt quite safe with the care she received. The snorkelling was good. You either must swim about 70m to the drop off or you can walk to the end of the jetty to be practically on the drop off. The visibility varied from great at to good. We saw turtles, sharks, eels, rays and lots of fish of all species, colours and sizes.
The Maldives is a very expensive destination, value for money is not something you going to see. If you can afford it however, I would highly recommend the trip. This was our fourth visit and once again we were not disappointed. I'd go back to Viligandu in a heartbeat....

Room Tip: The island is very narrow so all the rooms lead onto a beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Silverback340

Dear Silverback340,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

I would like to Thank You for choosing Veligandu Island Resort & Spa in your recent Holiday.

I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay and that we have exceeded your expectations.
Your review will be a great help to all people out there who would like to visit us as you have detailed as to what they will be expecting from us as soon as they set foot on the Island.

I am looking forward to see you and your family on your next Holiday.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this holiday as a surprise 50th birthday present for my as I'd never really fancied the idea of the Maldives. Boy, was I wrong. From the second you land after the exciting seaplane flight from Male to the time you say goodbye, everything was perfect and nothing was too much trouble.

We stayed in one of the water villas, a huge accommodation with fantastic facilities. Walking from the balcony straight into the sea was, in itself, a wonderful experience.

The island itself is only 600 x 150 mtrs and so, even as someone with mobility issues, travelling around was easy with something new to look at every time you go out. The plants and wildlife are amazing and the shoals of fish that swim around the area are beautiful.

Although we went at a quiet time, all the facilities were fully available, the food was amazing with something for everyone and the bar staff were always very attentive, rarely requiring asking for drinks as they come to you very regularly. We also had the benefit of seeing the World Famous (in the Maldives) The Woods rock band - great entertainment.

I'm not sure if we'll ever be able to go back but, suffice to say, this was one of the best holidays we've ever had, surpassing my Wife's (and my) wildest dreams.

Well done and many thanks to everyone on the Island, from the check in staff, cleaners, gardeners, catering team and bar staff. You're the best!

3  Thank PBW1959
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear PBW1959,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

I would like to Thank You for the wonderful review that you have wrote.

It is very pleasing to read that we have exceeded your expectations.

We are looking forward to see you on your next holiday, and this time as one of our many Repeater Guests.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I visited this resort with high expectation since I had read a lof of positive review from the visitors.

I have choosen the All inclusive plus package for this trip with my another two friends. Frankly, the resort location is really amazing. We can enjoy the nice view for sunset and dawn from our water villa resort. Even the water is blue like a diamond.

However, I must criticise some of the staff in this resort only put high attention on the visitors who has paying extra for the outdoor water sport activities. Normally for the guest who join the all inclusive plus package will able to get the free surfing lesson (30mins) and free Kayak equipment. During our stay, the resort staff always claim there is no safeguard or trainer available, then we are unable to utilize the equipment or get the lesson. What a ridiculous is there is only one staff available for the outdoor water sport center. Please do not assume you can take the free lesson or join the free activities during your stay if you have choosen All Inclusive Plan.

For the food serve in the restaurant is quite variety of choices and tasty. The grilled fish is my first priority choice. Of course the restaurant staff will still recommend the guest to order some of the foods or beverage which is not under the All Inclusive plan package. Base on our case, when we informed the waiter that we are satisfy with the available menu, their attitude started change. They are no more friendly and would not serve you on time.

Another unhappy issue is about the seaplane charges. We have been informed by the resort management pre-arriving that the charges for one passenger from Male to Veligandu island is US$ 300 (round trip) during the season of May 2014~ October 2014. When we made the payment, they just informed the charges change to US$ 320 per person. Even we show them the email response between the resort management with us, they still request us to pay extra. This show the resort never keep their commitment of their promise. In this case, I do not foreseen the good credibility of this hotel management.

Overall, we had enjoy anice time with friends in this beautiful island. But I would not mind to remind all of you again and again to make payment in advance before your arrival or otherwise, they will have the chances to charge us extra. Remember, only if you pay extra, then you will entitle to enjoy the activites without the timing or availability concern.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the water villa jacuzzi resort, is another great experience. But you have to be rea...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Brian O
Fathuhulla I, General Manager at Veligandu Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Brian O,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

Thank You for your Review.

I feel bad that we did not meet your expectation during your stay.

Thank You for mentioning some points note worthy.
It is good that you mentioned about the free Snorkeling & Windsurfing Lesson, I am really sorry for that and rest assured I will take a look on this so in the future this will not happen again. It is so sad to know that you were under the impression that we only give special attention with paying Guests, but I would like to assure you that Veligandu Island do not discriminate and we treat everybody equal may it be paying, non paying guests

I apologize with the incorrect charge of the Seaplane fare and I would like to refund you the extra fee that we have collected from you. You can us email us privately so we can go ahead and process it.

Fathuhulla Ibrahim

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at Veligandu at the end of June this year. We had a beach jacuzzi villa for the majority of our stay and were offered the chance to experience a beach villa for the last couple of days.
The beach jacuzzi villa was an excellent room - lots of space, always kept clean, a double shower - which was really helpful after being in the sea or diving and a large bed (that's not made of multiple single beds!). We were offered the water villa at the end of our stay. They are laid out differently with a bedroom and an area for getting ready including the jacuzzi and bathroom. Because of this different layout it did feel smaller, but being able to sit on the veranda and watch the sea was magic.

The staff were excellent - always polite, keen to help and friendly. I really felt they made an effort to make my stay more enjoyable.

The food was very good - there was always something lovely to eat. There was always fresh fish on the grill, pasta and a stir fry option. Then there were about 6 different "main courses" a day from curry to steak, a potato-based side and vegetables. There was a large salad bar and an area of starters and breads + a desert station, with about 5 different options. The main dishes rotated on a roughly weekly basis which meant there was some repetition, but I never felt that there was nothing I didn't want to eat.

TV - There are a lot of channels but its worth noting only around 10 of these are in English, and a lot of these are news channels. We could get HBO and some sports channels.

We were visiting the Maldives in the low season. The weather forecast didn't look promising before we arrived, but in the end we had 3 sets of overnight rain and one morning when it really threw it down. The rest of the time the weather was hot and cloudy and at times very humid. There was a constant wind - enough to raise small waves.

We visited the spa for a massage while we were there. Then went again. The "his and her" massage was great while listening to the waves. And sitting on the beach afterwards with the bottle of champagne that's included really rounded it off nicely!

We did a couple of the excursions (which were included with the all inclusive option). The snorkelling trip wasn't well organised so we left late and returned early. It was nice to see the other sites but there wasn't really much more to see than on our house reef. We also did a night snorkel, which was really good - and a sunset, punch cruise. They often see dolphins on this cruise, but we were unlucky so it was really just a long boat ride.

Snorkelling - we are very keen divers and snorkellers and this was one of the main reasons that we picked Veligandu. The snorkelling was very good once you reached the reef drop-off. We saw sharks, loads of fish, an octopus, turtles and even a Manta. It is probably a 50m swim to the drop-off and there are some currents, especially around the water bungalows. The house rules say that you must snorkel with a buddy.

Diving - The dive centre was excellent, with very good kit and an excellent staff. They were all very friendly and the boat crew were excellent - you can pay $1 a dive for them to sort your kit which made them very attentive. I understand that Ocean Pro centre will close on the 31st August and be replaced with another.
The visibility varied between 10-25m - not perfect, but very good. We had hoped to go to Maya Thila on a day trip but these didn't happen because of poor weather in the open sea.

The dive sites were varied - some were excellent while others lacked some variety. We visited Madivaru Corner 3 times. It is without doubt the best site nearby with a coral "balcony" overlooking a channel where the current brings in sharks and rays. It is one of the best sites we have dived. We did do the hammerhead shark dive at "Big Blue" but didn't see anything. "Caves" was also an excellent site - we saw rays in formation, sharks and a mantis shrimp.

Overall, we had a wonderful holiday - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Veligandu.

Room Tip: Its worth noting that the villas with beach views don't necessarily look out over the sea - some...
3  Thank gardner_sam

Dear gardner_sam,

Greetings from Veligandu Island Resort & Spa

I would like to thank you for this detailed Review you shared to all of Us.

I am so glad that you had a wonderful stay.

It is good to hear that you had the opportunity to experience different Room Category. I do agree, that each Room category have its specialty and perks which really suits the Guests preference. Bottom line is everywhere on the Island is Amazing.

I appreciate that you mentioned about the staffs' execellent service and the quality of food that we offer.

It is good that you mentioned about the Snorkeling Trip Organization, I am really sorry for that and rest assured I will take a look into it so in the future this will not happen again.

Your review will be a great help to all the people out there who would like to experience the Veligandu Holiday.

I hope to welcome you back soon as one of our many Guests Repeaters.

Fathuhulla Ibrahim - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Veligandu
Kandolhu Maldives
#1 of 1 in Ellaidhoo Island
W Maldives
W Maldives
#1 of 1 in Fesdhoo Island

Been to Veligandu Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!