“A best kept secret! Best kept a secret!”

Mirihi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mirihi
London, United Kingdom
“A best kept secret! Best kept a secret!”
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Understated luxury for people who want to relax on a beautiful, isolated small island under a most impressive management team. Stunning reef with ample marine life and plenty of excursions for guests to freely choose.
Thank you to all the staff for ensuring such a wonderful experience.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zhirayr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
JHB, South Africa
Reviewed 17 September 2011

If you need to relax and do nothing but swimming and diving then this place is ideal.
The rooms are on stilts above the water and the house reef is one of the best around. The food is excellent and the whole resort is very informal. The only complaint was the wind that were blowing all the time. We understood that it is better during the winter months.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank L0veCr0atia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

If you're looking for a relaxing getaway, this is the place to be. I stayed at the Mirihi Island Resort as a single traveler. Knowing the Maldives are notorious for honeymooners, I figured I would just hang on the beach or on the deck of my water bungalow. This was ok with me because I was looking for that type of holiday. But that was not the case at all. The staff and other guests were so friendly. I never felt out of place being the only solo guest on the island. The staff invited me to the events happening on the island, such as the daily football (soccer) game, mainly played by the staff, but guest are encouraged to join. The dive shop and staff are the best I have come across. I thought I would dive 1 day, 2 tanks. I wound up diving 4 days. It was amazing!! Hassan is the best dive master! He's from the Maldives and really knows the waters, fish, fauna and wrecks.

I did not have the opportunity to eat in the restaurant over the water. This was mainly due to the fact that I was a single table and felt a bit odd (only within myself, not by the staff or guests). Also the restaurant is not included in the stay, so I was being a bit frugal considering this trip was costing me a small fortune coming from America. The main restaurant that is included in the price was great. The chef came out every night and spoke to the guests, even telling them how things were made. I walked away with one of his recipes. It was stunning to have a table basically on the beach, watching the sunset.

Finally, I would hands down recommend staying in a water bungalow over a beach villa. If you have kids, the beach villa might be a better option, however if you are honeymooning or solo, the water bungalow is worth every bit. It was amazing falling asleep to the sound of the waves, watching the sun rise or set with a glass of wine on the deck or even going down the steps to snorkel right around and under the bungalow. One warning is to snorkel in high tide. The coral is brutal if you try in low tide...trust me.. :)

If you are debating which Atoll to visit, the South Ari is the best for diving. If you are contemplating between resorts in the South Ari Atoll, book Mirihi. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

Room Tip: The seaplane from Male to Mirihi is NOT included in the price. If you book via Agoda there is an opt...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Optimist_101
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Family from Chandigarh (India) traveled to Colombo ( 2nights) and Maldives. Stayed at Mirihi from Aug 25-30th, 2011. We were celebrating my birthday :)

So I searched the net for a good whole month before deciding on which resort to book for our one 5 days trip to the Maldives with our 3 and a half-year-old son. After a lot of (I really mean a LOT) reading, I decided on Mirihi. And I must say that I couldn’t have possibly chosen a better resort.

It started off on a bumpy note as in while booking I thought that my upgrade to Half Board was for the entire stay while just few days prior to reaching I was told by the hotel that its only for two days. However I pointed out the obvious gaps wherein it was no where mentioned while booking and the Hotel immediately reconciled and agreed to complete half board as was earlier projected to me. Which I think was pretty nice of them to have seen the guest’s point of view and make immediate amends.

Finally our trip began…all was very smooth from the landing at Male to the Sea Plane ride to Mirihi. The resort is perfect. Lovely beaches. Pretty small but you’ll love it. Having stayed at many world-class resorts I would rate this resort as great value for your money with all the perks and frills of a high-end 5 star resort. The facilities provided....to the services....everything is great. The food is great. Not an overwhelmingly large variety but I must say great quality. The hotel staff took special care to accommodate my lil boy’s appetite and tried to give us Indian food every single dinnertime. Very thoughtful I must say. The bar was well equipped with great cocktails…must try!! And the highlight of the resort being the house reef. It’s just amazing and we couldn’t have asked for a better first time snorkeling experience. We stayed 3 nights in the beach villa and 2 in the water villa. Both were great experiences. The staff diligently kept our rooms tidy. Each time we left the room we came back to freshly swept floors and done beds. It was almost as if they were sneaking nearby and just waiting for us to be outta our rooms to go back and clean up. Overall had the most wonderful 5 nights in Mirihi. Had the best birthday at Mirihi. Will be back again for sure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same...really. Our W V no 27 had the best reefs around outta all the house ree...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Anisha2608
Northampton, England
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed before (four years ago) and couldn't wait to go back. In many ways the island hasn't changed, it looked exactly the same and the staff were all just as friendly - many remembering us as well. The Chief Martin continues to do an amazing job and there is a new chef who has made to food go from good to excelllent - every meal in both resturants and the bar was first class and my I husband and I have very high standards so that's saying something.

The dive centre staff were fantastic, very helpful, informative and safety conscious. Couldn't have asked for any more.

Spa was also great - some very relaxing treatments.

If you have high standards, love great food and amazing friendly service and enjoy peace and tranquility then this island is for you.

We can't wait for our 3rd visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicegirl69
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2011

My wife and I did plenty of research on trip advisor to find a place to stay for our 5 night honeymoon in the Maldives. For our budget Mirihi seemed the best choice with its high ratings and reviews. For the most part we werent disappointed and the pros definately outweighed the cons.

Pros: Mirihi is indeed a tiny island and coming from such a big island (Australia) it is a credit to the team that they can keep it so pristine, manage their waste, provide such good food, fresh water etc. As everyone states, the reef is a highlight and we spent most of our time in the water. We keep a marine aquarium and there was a severe temptation to start bagging fish and air freighting them back home! We were heavily outnumbered by staff so the service was very attentive. The food was great, we had half board and only ate in the buffet and lunches at the bar. The food at the bar was well priced and overly portioned. You needed an decent amount of time after every meal just to digest. The room we had was beautiful and our bed was adorned with a honeymoon message in flowers and a bottle of bubbly. One image that sticks in our minds is watching tiny reef sharks swim along the water at the shore line of the pure white sand. Amazing.

Cons: Some of these certainly werent the fault of the resort. We had some bad luck. The weather. We gambled on the off peak season and ended up with 50% rainy days. Plenty of reviews tell you that rain passes overnight, but you need to be aware if you travel then, you may lose some days watching the weather from the bar or your room. Whale shark trip....we didnt see any, and there are a lot of other resort boats looking in the same place. To the credit of our crew, they did take us to a manta ray patch for snorkelling instead which was great, then to a isolated reef to explore.

Bad luck aside there were a couple of disappointments that could be avoided. Smoking: The island is primarly marketed towards Germans and other Europeans due to the owner and manager being German...which is absolutely fine. Unfortunately there dont seem to be any smoking laws in those places and you could smoke absolutely everywhere on the island and people certainly did. In Australia, North America and the UK you cannot smoke in eating areas and as a result, non-smokers like ourselves get a rude shock when we eat our food or sit in the bar and have the people next to us billow smoke our way. Perhaps a compromise is needed there?

The cast away trip: We read about this on the website before our holiday and thought it sounded great. A deserted island trip! Unfortunately they dont disclose this in their promotion but you are not guaranteed to have the island to yourself. We were told this at the last minute by a staff member before we went. We were told it was very rare, but they share the island with other resorts and sometimes there are mix ups and they drop people off there too. We were a little concerned by this but still went. When we got there our cabana stuff was set up and we explored the island. It was covered in rubbish!....including an old matress just near where we were camped. I realise this island is not owned by the resort but surely resort staff from all resorts could pick up this rubbish intermitently? By late morning we saw a large ship headed our way. The ship got closer and confirmed our fears. They were stopping at OUR island! It didnt appear to be another resort as it was all women on board and they were in traditional maldivan attire. They werent phased at our presence and came ashore and stayed the remainder of the day only 30 meters away. If this happens, regardless of how 'rare' it is, it needs to be disclosed in their advertising material that this occurs rather than unfairly heighten expectations. In Mirihi's defence they did give us a decent discount on the trip. This does need to change though.

The negatives aside it is a great resort that was only detracted for us by a couple of things.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
17 Thank bruiserliss
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed on Mirihi for 7 nights, from the 19th of July to the 26th. We went to the Maldives last year and as soon as we returned I knew that we had to go back this year for our first anniversary. Mirihi was top of my list of islands, mainly because of the reputation of the house reef and the consistently great reviews it gets on here. I had very high expectations and I was definitely not at all disappointed.

Stepping off the boat from the sea plane and walking up the jetty was like arriving in paradise. We were greeted by Bastian who was incredibly helpful and friendly throughout our stay – as were all staff. Martin, the manager, also came to meet us for a brief introduction to the island. Throughout our stay all staff were first class – helpful, friendly, informative but without being overbearing. Perfect!

We stayed in a water villa, number 29, which is on the horseshoe shaped set of villas. The villa was great. From looking at photos online I thought it might be a bit small but it was spacious and very well designed. It felt very private and peaceful. We could snorkel straight from our deck, although at low tide we felt it was better to use the snorkelling channel.

The snorkelling was fabulous – so much coral! We were really impressed with the amount of reef life at Vilamendhoo the previous week but the snorkelling at Mirihi was probably better – there was far more coral. We spent a lot more time slowly exploring the reef. The highlight for me was seeing two turtles. I’d been waiting a long time to see them. We also saw an octopus, eels, eagle rays, reef sharks and all the usual fish and some that I hadn’t seen before e.g. batfish.

The highlight of our holiday was the whale shark trip we went on. I can honestly say it was one of the best days of my life. The trips the previous week at Vilamendhoo had been disappointing for me but this one was amazing. For a start the boat was lovely. We were lucky with the weather and the sea was very calm. Perhaps the most important factor was that the boat wasn’t overly full. There were only 9 of us on the trip. The staff on the boat were great. We spotted and swam with 3 whale sharks. The third time was the best experience. The shark was in between 7 and 8 metres and 4 of us managed to swim alongside for about 20 minutes. It was beautiful. We then had a gorgeous lunch on board the boat. After a spot of relaxation we went in search of mantas. There seemed to be a lot of plankton in the water so we were lucky. We swam with in between 20 and 25 mantas. It was quite overwhelming – in a good way! Sometimes there were as many as 7 mantas circling around us. It felt like an absolute privilege to have had the opportunity to see such amazing creatures. The day was rounded off very nicely with a bottle of Prosecco and a birthday cake which had been left in our room the evening before for my husband’s birthday.

We were very happy with the standard of food on the island. We don’t usually like buffet food but it was excellent. I’m quite a fussy eater e.g. the only meat I will eat is chicken and I’m not great with fish either – but there was always plenty of choice for me. Felix, the head chef, was always very attentive and took time to explain different dishes. We ate at the Muraka restaurant on the evening of my husband’s birthday. I was shown a vegetarian menu at lunch time so that the chefs could prepare dishes for me. The food was delicious and it is a beautiful spot to relax and watch the sunset with a drink. It was faultless. We were on half board so at lunchtimes we ate at the bar, which was so peaceful and relaxing. There was a really good choice of snacks and meals available. My husband said it was the best club sandwich and the best burger he’s ever tasted – and believe me he has tasted many! Service at the bar was excellent and I swear the delicious cocktails got stronger as the week went on.

The island was very quiet the week we were there, which was fine for us. The atmosphere was very laid back, relaxed and friendly and we met some great people. The beach was absolutely beautiful – picture perfect. No complaints really.

To sum it up, Mirihi is the first place in 11 years of travelling with my husband that he has said that he would definitely return to – that’s how good it was!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cakestin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mirihi
Constance Moofushi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
Centara Grand Island Resort & Sp...
#1 of 1 in Centara Grand Island

Been to Mirihi Island Resort? Share your experiences!