“It sucks to wear shoes!”

Mirihi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mirihi
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This island is amazing. Of course it is the most expensive resort I’ve ever been to so I can’t judge comparatively. We chose this island because of its size and the great reviews about the reef, dive center, and food, and it did not disappoint. We stayed the last few days of September. The luxury began at the airport when we were whisked away to the Mirihi lounge, which is very comfortable with free wifi. If you are coming from a long flight you can even shower if you want. Upon arrival you are given a very personal greeting and a private (at least it was for us) tour of the island.
The island is absolutely gorgeous and perfect. The staff works around the clock to keep it that way. When I look back at my pictures, it looks like a desktop background instead of a real place where I was, simply stunning.
We had a water villa which was amazing, was very open but also very private. Our names were on the door and it was decorated for our honeymoon. We saw lots of “ocean life” right off our porch including a moray eel which lived right next to us. Every evening we would see him peering out of his home hunting and even saw him swim into his home several times. There were also many colorful fish, crabs, turtles, and reef sharks.
It is true that you rarely see another guest around the island. There is also no hammock or lounger “claiming” with towels, not one was ever occupied when I wanted to use it. There is free wifi around the lobby but not in the room. I really liked this as I’m sure my new husband would be surfing the internet in our room all evening and this is the same reason I liked that there were no TVs in the room.
The bar is great for lounging and my only complaint about the whole island is the milkshake I had there. If the straw falls to the side (because it is too liquid) and doesn’t stick up, it is not a milkshake, but shaken milk. It can be improved, but for the rest everything we had was wonderful. We did not eat in the a-la-carte restaurant, but we did go for the sunset cocktail hour which is beautiful. The food is amazing in the main restaurant the chefs are eager to explain all the dishes to you. There was always something new and interesting to try and they are willing to specially prepare vegetarian substitutes.
The staff really can’t do more for its guests. Everyone just wanted us to have the best time we could in the most comfortable way. One of the staff members was so kind to give us windsurfing lessons which was very nice of him as it was his break and very fun. The Manager was really attentive and remembered tidbits about the guests and would talk to them during meals. I thought this was really great, that the manager took so much effort to make sure the guests were content.
We did not go on any excursions but we did go diving. We went on a day trip and were lucky enough to meet a whale shark. We swam with it for about 15 minutes. This was the highlight of my Maldives stay so I would recommend trying to see one. We also saw a bunch of huge Manta Rays which were also spectacular and a school of Manta Mobula right on the house reef.
So I definitely recommend Mirihi and hope to return some day. We were lucky not to have any young children on the island because I can see how a screaming child could really take away from the experience and would not recommend the resort to family with young children mainly since there are no facilities that cater to children. There were families with young adult/ teenage children but even that kind of family vacation didn’t seem to fit the romantic island. It is perfect in every way for couples. We did have a massage which was lovely but I’ve never had a message before or since so I have nothing to compare it to.

6  Thank Atalanta8
There are newer reviews for Mirihi Island Resort

Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed 5 nights in mid September, it is a wonderful resort in a beautiful island, perfect for a relaxing holiday, the staff are very polite and friendly, I would definitley love to go back. It was a picture perfect holiday.

4  Thank KishoreJ
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed here on our honeymoon for two weeks in early September. We had the most amazing time, and I can't say enough wonderful things about this resort and its incredibly hard-working, friendly, and professional staff.

The resort itself was so clean and beautiful and it was just a pleasure to even be there. The rooms were gorgeous and having a private sundeck and access to the house reef is beyond amazing. The food is out of this world. The chefs are all so nice and helpful and man...they can cook! The Maldivian night, BBQ night, and Asian night were beyond delicious. The spa was fantastic and so relaxing. And the main reason we chose Mirihi- the diving and snorkeling. I cannot stress enough how amazing their house reef is. It is so healthy and full of fish, eagle rays, turtles, sharks, and colorful coral. We dove and snorkeled the house reef and it was better than almost any dive site in the Caribbean. The dive team are the most professional, well-run team we have ever dove with. Jorgen, Manja, Yuko and Oleg were a pleasure to dive with every day. They are very committed to safety, and selected wonderful sites and gave great briefings (they even gave private English briefings, when everyone else on the boat spoke German!). Diving with whale sharks and mantas were incredible, and worth flying 20 hours to see. The restaurant, front desk, and housekeeping staff were all incredibly professional, good at their jobs, and friendly. This place was heavenly!

One side note- yes, the weather was pretty bad the first week, but there was still got a lot of sun (and we got very tan). Rainy days do equal better visibility for diving (pushes the plankton down), so I guess it was a good tradeoff. Still, a risk during the rainy season.

We researched which resort to stay in for months and months, and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. What makes Mirihi stand out in our minds are the house reef, the dive team, the small guest count, and the food. All incredible. Thank you so much to Martin, Bastian, Julien, and everyone else for making our honeymoon so wonderful!

4  Thank cls2486
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Understated luxury for people who want to relax on a beautiful, isolated small island under a most impressive management team. Stunning reef with ample marine life and plenty of excursions for guests to freely choose.
Thank you to all the staff for ensuring such a wonderful experience.

1  Thank Zhirayr
Reviewed 17 September 2011

If you need to relax and do nothing but swimming and diving then this place is ideal.
The rooms are on stilts above the water and the house reef is one of the best around. The food is excellent and the whole resort is very informal. The only complaint was the wind that were blowing all the time. We understood that it is better during the winter months.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank L0veCr0atia
Reviewed 15 September 2011

If you're looking for a relaxing getaway, this is the place to be. I stayed at the Mirihi Island Resort as a single traveler. Knowing the Maldives are notorious for honeymooners, I figured I would just hang on the beach or on the deck of my water bungalow. This was ok with me because I was looking for that type of holiday. But that was not the case at all. The staff and other guests were so friendly. I never felt out of place being the only solo guest on the island. The staff invited me to the events happening on the island, such as the daily football (soccer) game, mainly played by the staff, but guest are encouraged to join. The dive shop and staff are the best I have come across. I thought I would dive 1 day, 2 tanks. I wound up diving 4 days. It was amazing!! Hassan is the best dive master! He's from the Maldives and really knows the waters, fish, fauna and wrecks.

I did not have the opportunity to eat in the restaurant over the water. This was mainly due to the fact that I was a single table and felt a bit odd (only within myself, not by the staff or guests). Also the restaurant is not included in the stay, so I was being a bit frugal considering this trip was costing me a small fortune coming from America. The main restaurant that is included in the price was great. The chef came out every night and spoke to the guests, even telling them how things were made. I walked away with one of his recipes. It was stunning to have a table basically on the beach, watching the sunset.

Finally, I would hands down recommend staying in a water bungalow over a beach villa. If you have kids, the beach villa might be a better option, however if you are honeymooning or solo, the water bungalow is worth every bit. It was amazing falling asleep to the sound of the waves, watching the sun rise or set with a glass of wine on the deck or even going down the steps to snorkel right around and under the bungalow. One warning is to snorkel in high tide. The coral is brutal if you try in low tide...trust me.. :)

If you are debating which Atoll to visit, the South Ari is the best for diving. If you are contemplating between resorts in the South Ari Atoll, book Mirihi. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!

Room Tip: The seaplane from Male to Mirihi is NOT included in the price. If you book via Agoda there is an opt...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Optimist_101
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Family from Chandigarh (India) traveled to Colombo ( 2nights) and Maldives. Stayed at Mirihi from Aug 25-30th, 2011. We were celebrating my birthday :)

So I searched the net for a good whole month before deciding on which resort to book for our one 5 days trip to the Maldives with our 3 and a half-year-old son. After a lot of (I really mean a LOT) reading, I decided on Mirihi. And I must say that I couldn’t have possibly chosen a better resort.

It started off on a bumpy note as in while booking I thought that my upgrade to Half Board was for the entire stay while just few days prior to reaching I was told by the hotel that its only for two days. However I pointed out the obvious gaps wherein it was no where mentioned while booking and the Hotel immediately reconciled and agreed to complete half board as was earlier projected to me. Which I think was pretty nice of them to have seen the guest’s point of view and make immediate amends.

Finally our trip began…all was very smooth from the landing at Male to the Sea Plane ride to Mirihi. The resort is perfect. Lovely beaches. Pretty small but you’ll love it. Having stayed at many world-class resorts I would rate this resort as great value for your money with all the perks and frills of a high-end 5 star resort. The facilities provided....to the services....everything is great. The food is great. Not an overwhelmingly large variety but I must say great quality. The hotel staff took special care to accommodate my lil boy’s appetite and tried to give us Indian food every single dinnertime. Very thoughtful I must say. The bar was well equipped with great cocktails…must try!! And the highlight of the resort being the house reef. It’s just amazing and we couldn’t have asked for a better first time snorkeling experience. We stayed 3 nights in the beach villa and 2 in the water villa. Both were great experiences. The staff diligently kept our rooms tidy. Each time we left the room we came back to freshly swept floors and done beds. It was almost as if they were sneaking nearby and just waiting for us to be outta our rooms to go back and clean up. Overall had the most wonderful 5 nights in Mirihi. Had the best birthday at Mirihi. Will be back again for sure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same...really. Our W V no 27 had the best reefs around outta all the house ree...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Anisha2608
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mirihi
Constance Moofushi
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Mirihi Island Resort? Share your experiences!