“paradies exist”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mirihi
Embrach
“paradies exist”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

small island. 2 restaurants, 1 bar, beautiful water bungalows, great food, excellent service, amazing spa treatments, lots of fishes....what say more....after about 40 times on maldives we found this little island which is just PERFECT .... hope to go back soon

We had a big health problem with one of our parents and the staff and management was just top !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank weRaway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Mirihi was the experience of a lifetime and I must admit now weeks gone past I dream about being there every night and can't wait to return. The most amazing place my wife and I have ever been. Extremely professional and courteous staff starting with Niki and Ali, and yet very laid back and friendly. Even though they were at 100% occupancy, it often felt like we had the island virtually to ourselves. Food was outstanding and my complements and thanks to Roy and Phelix (pardon my spelling if in error) - truly world class and second to none! Beautiful beach and superior snorkeling. Our room over the water was amazing as well. Hard to believe they are about to renovate as hard to imagine anything being any better. We really appreciated everything the island had to offer, the amazing and fun staff, best food on Earth...thanks again Phelix. No question we will be returning.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jason M
USA
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a last minute trip to the Maldives (last minute as in the Tuesday before I arrived on a Friday). As a diver I was attracted to the South Ari Atoll for potential Manta Ray and Whale Shark sightings. I was using TA to look for hotels in this area and narrowed it down to a couple. At this point (3 days before arrival many places were booked). I wanted to ensure the hotel I picked could accommodate me for diving, and Mirihi ended up being the only resort I could get a hold of someone at the dive shop, so availability coupled with the fact that they were friendly won me over. The price was way more than I usually pay, but I was only staying the weekend and since this was all last minute I had limited time to decide. Given the price and good reviews on TA I had high expectations. I can honestly say I was blown away! This is by far the nicest place I have ever been - the accommodations, the island, the staff were fabulous!

The Island: MIrihi is a tiny, remote island in the South Male Atoll. If you want a lot of action or even a TV in your room, this is not the place for you. They have excellent wifi so you don't have to be disconnected, but this is where you come to relax and get away from it all. You can walk around the island (circumference wise) in about 10min. You can walk across it is 60 seconds tops. The only signs of outside life are the seaplanes that go overhead occasionally. The island is spotless - no trash on the beach. The water is crystal clear. The sand is white and soft. The pictures look amazing and do not lie (I know that pictures can make things look better) - I think the island looks even better in person! I was told Mirihi has 120 staff and at the time 55 guests - but it never felt crowded - I don't know where everyone was hiding!

Getting to the Island: The airport is in Male. You arrive and go to the seaplane counter, they weigh your bag and you board a bus to the seaplane terminal. Here you go to the Mirihi lounge to sign-in, and wait for others. Once everyone arrives you board the seaplane. Flight paths could differ, and you may or may not drop off others on the way, but I sat on the R side both times - I did not see Mirihi from the air on the way there but only on the way back. The ride was smooth except when we went through a rain cloud. The view from the seaplane is fabulous!

Water Bungalow: beautifully done. Lots of little things in the room: adapter, beach mats, beach bags.
The bungalows are grouped in 3 areas - 1 area is at the end of the island - opposite the arrival dock side. I felt this was the most picturesque. The other two groupings are next to each other - the beach on this side is not a nice - a bit rockier and not really a sandy entry (the sandy entry beach is opposite this). This side was still beautiful but if you are picky you may want to request a bungalow in the other grouping. Either way, your bungalow balcony looks out on the house reef.

House Reef: really good fish life and easily accessible

Diving: my trip was short, so the dive I went on to see mantas and whale sharks didn't work out - the current was wrong - no sightings. I have dived the GBR (Agincourt area) and Sipidan in Borneo. I felt the coral and fish life in the Maldives was comparable to these. I always like the larger life and it didn't pan out for me on this trip. But I would go back and dive the Maldives again. The dive shop staff are great! Very helpful.

Food: food was excellent if a bit pricey (similar to Hawaii in price). I brought some snacks to the island. There are options for half (B+L) or full board (B+L+D) - I opted out as it didn't make sense price wise for me. Breakfast was included and is a lovely spread.

Pool: there is none. But the beach is so lovely you don't need it.

I have been to all 4 Hawaiian islands and loved them....but Hawaii seems 'ugly' compared to the Maldives. It really is paradise.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Euro_101
Ambon, Indonesia
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Mirihi is not the sort of place that one would go alone. But that happened to me when sudden airport closure and flight cancellations due to bad weather stopped my companion from joining me in mid December 2013. I was naturally stressed up as we tried all ways to bring him to Male and we failed. However the attention, care and empathy shown by the Mirihi staff including an upgrade to half board made up for everything. And I got my consolation prize of a whale shark coming my way as I snorkeled at the house reef. Whale sharks are not rare in the Maldives but to see one in the house reef is unbelievable. A staff told me that it has been years since anyone had that encounter. Mirihi will always be etched with the fondest memories in my mind. Am grateful to all the staff especially those at the front desk.

• Stayed December 2013
5 Thank mosesgoh
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

When we decided to go to Mirihi, we declared it was a once in a lifetime trip, so we would make the most of it. After being on the Island for all of 20 minutes, we declared from here on it would be an annual trek.

It seems a little surreal for the first few hours, the whole experience of being whisked off by a seaplane to a tiny remote Island in tropical paradise is quite divine. We had a long flight to get there, and it was worth every second of it. From the second we arrived in Male, everything was running like clockwork. It was a relief to have the stress of the transit to the seaplane reduced to nothing (particularly after a long overnight flight). Our bags were carted, we were loaded on the bus and off to the private lounge at the seaplane centre where we could freshen up and relax.

The seaplane was an exciting trip, great views and take off and landing a bit of an experience. It's pretty warm in the plane, so wear cool and comfy clothes. The Island boat picks you up from the pontoon and then you are greeted on paradise with a drink, a chat and then the grand tour of the Island. This all takes next to no time (although I can't say it felt rushed) and before you know it, you are in your bungalow, over the water, watching fish and being more excited than ever imaginable.

All the staff are so extraordinarily helpful. There is no tipping - they do it because the sense of pride with a job well done makes them happy. They make the effort to get to know you a little bit, and have a little joke with you on occasion (usually about who has the best sporting team in the world) and do their utmost to make sure you are accommodated in perfect form.

Little touches go a long way. Have the correct power converters in your room, arranging special touches for you, and remembering your coffee/drink/snack orders and room numbers make you feel a bit special.

The food is fantastic. We turned every meal into a 6 course affair and put on what felt like a million kilos each meal, but burned it off (well some of it anyway) with the daily activities we had come to enjoy. The food is fresh, as healthy or as naughty as you want, huge variety provided and food allergies catered for!

Now the diving and snorkelling deserves special mention - that is what we were here for after all!!! Our whale shark trip was very successful - we had quality up close time with 3 whale sharks. Plus mantas in a feeding frenzy, bumping into us and completely and blissfully unaware of how awestruck we were. Every type of tropical fish imaginable...so beautiful.

The house reef is divine. You can go around in circles forever. Massive titanfish, turtles, wrasse, sharks, a HUGE moray eel...it has the lot. Great for beginners and experienced divers alike.

Some special highlights for us were the sunset cocktails every night, the mantas and whale sharks, the beautiful weather (one rainy day in 10!!!), the sandy beach with the consistency of talcum powder and the lovely welcoming staff.

It's almost time to start thinking about booking for our next trip!!

Do it, don't just think about it.

Room Tip: Any of the over-water bungalows are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Q8684ZYS
Sydney
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Yes, we have all read the superlatives and yes this is paradise, however I would like to add a further commendation. Our Singapore Airlines flight was delayed due to the closure of Indian airspace. Following a desperate calll from Changi Airport, the management at Mirihi did their best to secure for us a later flight and lovely accomodation on a nearby island in order for the Mirihi launch to pick us up early in the morning so as not to miss a day of our much anticipated holiday. Mirihi staff were literally our saviours and at no extra expense to us!! What more could one ask for?
Due to illness this review is 12 months late...apologies.

Room Tip: Our overwater bungalow was one of the early numbers but was absolutely perfect. No problem snorkelli...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DreamingSydney
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Our experience at Mirihi is quite possibly the most incredible travel experience we have had! If you prefer quiet beach vacations alongside warm and attentive service, this is the resort for you. We loved it so much the first time that we just had to come back again!

While the island is small, you could spend your day without seeing too many other people and have the beach to yourself. The reef is only a few metres out from shore, and the water is so clear that you could even watch the fish from the deck of your water villa! There are a number of water-related activities that are available to partake in as well - aside from a well-equipped dive centre, there are sunset trips, whaleshark excursions and a few other planned activities.

The service at the resort is what sets it miles apart from most other places. There is such a strong attention to detail, and every single aspect of the resort is well thought-out. The staff are very friendly and warm, and really come through on every single request.

I couldn't end the review without raving about the food at Mirihi - SO delicious, you're bound to leave with a few extra pounds. They ask about any dietary restrictions/allergies and remember it throughout your stay. You even get a little tour of the dinner buffet every night so you know which dishes are okay for your consumption.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wanderingviajante
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mirihi
Constance Moofushi
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
Conrad Maldives Rangali Island
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa Maldives
Centara Grand Island Resort & Sp...
#1 of 1 in Centara Grand Island

Been to Mirihi Island Resort? Share your experiences!