“Great service - but value for money deeply below average”

Mirihi Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mirihi
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Great service - but value for money deeply below average”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We visited Mirihi September 2014. We already visited serveral other islands before.The island size is small but lead to a cosy and personal atmosphere. What we would like to highlight is really the service on the island , everybody is friendly , obliging and try to hit all needs. The food ( which is very subjective) is for a hotel buffet good but not on a gourmet level. The bungalows are old and dark, mattness uncomfortable (hard). Diving was the best we ever did. The maldivian dive master (which has more than 10000 dives in the south Ari Atoll) is fantastic (very friendly, funny and fully focused on guest needs). He is the reason why we would come back or follow him on every other island. What we didn't expected was the mixture of guest structure, less west european guests, some east european couples, some Americans & Australian guests, but totally unexpected many chinese guests (appr. 35% which were many on an island with 36 bungalows). The atmosphere suffered strongly under the chinese guests (e.g. Food habbits and reef climbing). If you compare the price level with other resorts on the same hotel level, you can get better ones 30% less expensive.We will come back , but not for the hotel but for diving and quality of service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
26 Thank Kreta1942

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We visited Mirihi for one week last year and it was picture perfect- exactly what you imagine the Maldives to be. A half hour seaplane journey is a great start giving a gorgeous aerial view of some reefs and other islands, then seeing Mirihi is a real 'wow' moment that I'll never forget!
(please read what I've said about food at the bottom!).

We were looking for somewhere small, quiet (no kids), and somewhere not overdeveloped with 100 villas and a hotel....This place definitely fit the bill. Although a lot of it is man-made, the grounds are kept pristine and most the time it felt like we were the only people there! We would go all day and see maybe 2 other guests up until dinner time! Although they have small guest numbers, they over compensate and have lots of tables everywhere so you are never crowded or looking for somewhere to eat/drink. I must confess it did amuse me that every time I would sit at the dining table, staff would rush over to assist me with my chair (something I'm not used to!).

The staff here are great and I loved the room. This was a treat for us, and I personally thought the room was stunning-nicely presented, lovely bed, great bathroom (where you can shower and look out to sea) etc....great coffee machine and tea available (which I guess is standard at this level).
The balcony was a good size and overlooked the reef,it was great to just pop in and check out what was going on. I didn't venture too far as we'd just done a weeks diving trip, but I actually found there was a lot to see just by our villa. Certainly worth snorkelling underneath/between villas and the boardwalk area on the semi-circle. We saw sharks there but also schools of fish, big needlefish, trumpetfish, triggers and also two of these little fish which we are yet to identify, fascinating! =)

We opted to try the couples honeymoon massage package (as a bit of a joke as we don't think we'll ever get married, and 'when in Rome'...haha). It wasn't too pricey, but it wasn't a particularly great massage either. It obviously relaxed me because I do think I fell asleep and I did enjoy the hot scrub/ chocolate going on, but we did both experience some back pain issues after. Could be related, maybe not, who knows...

An area where they really went above and beyond for us however, was food. We are a vegan couple- meaning no meat, dairy, eggs, animal products, etc... We had discussed our concerns and requirements in length weeks before our trip and were reassured each time, and told to email them a prompt (reminder) just before we arrived, which I did a week beforehand (about 9 days before when we left the UK).
Now, the disappointment came when the chef came to introduce himself. We said who we were, asked about soy milk for tea/coffee, or any tofu/meat substitutes for dishes etc, to which he replied that if we actually wanted something specific like this, we needed to have asked and requested it at least 2 weeks prior and that nothing can be obtained for us. When you are paying this much money to stay here...this is not what you want to hear on arrival, especially with highly experienced chefs to hand AND plenty of notice.

We attempted to eat at the buffet the first two nights and the chef would find us and show us what we could have (which mostly consisted of the salads, sometimes a soup, the breads, etc) and then for dessert the kitchen made us a fruit salad of some kind. Don't get me wrong, this was alright and I know being vegan is our choice, but they hadn't made any effort for us and we were gutted as I'd blown my inheritance on taking us there.

So the following morning we complained and said we weren't angry, just thoroughly disappointed at their lack of initiative and we felt short changed.
I don't think they've ever received a complaint before, because the whole island jumped into action to fix 'the upset couple in villa 30' and we had met with two managers within a couple of hours on how to help- clearly our complaint was top priority!

Now they took us by surprise- they arranged for us to have a complimentary 5-course meal at Muraka restaurant, for EVERY night we had left on the island, to apologise and show us what they could really do. We weren't expecting that and gladly accepted their offer!

I will post a separate review direct on the restaurants page- please go and check it out as I'll be attaching photos of all of the food. I don't know if I can link to it but it's Muraka Restaurant.
I'm sure the staff are reading this review and I can only apologise I have left it this late to review!).

They honestly pulled out all the stops for us, and left us speechless at the vegan food they managed to create everyday with such resources and less than 24 hours prep. We are talking starters, mains, breads, desserts...you name it. We were left gobsmacked at the trouble they had gone to just for us- they chef must have spent hours each day planning for us alone!
Not only that, but for each evening they printed us bespoke menus (with our names on!) and talked us through every dish, and how they had veganised it.
Even now when I think back to it, I am speechless and it was world class, beautiful creative food. Granted it was a shame we had to complain to get it, but they honestly went above and beyond and it brought me to tears because it felt special and meant using my Mum's money had been worth it. The manager also said he was glad that we had spoken up because they want to provide more vegan/gluten free/ dietary options and found our input and advice very valuable.
They certainly have the skills to do it (without any meat substitutes required!).

Anyway- I have just seen they are undergoing a major renovation so I'm sure the place will be even better in 2015. If you are looking for that real remote, quiet, reomantic Maldives vibe...this is your place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Nikki S
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 21 June 2014

It is a wonderful, cosy, quiet and relaxing place. I went with my wife and my son who's 11. We loved it. One week of resting, sunbathing, good food, outstanding service. The chef was always there to satisfy any need if the regular offering was not enough. Waiters very helpful, they guys cleaning the rooms always making sure to not bother you. We loved it. During one evening the general manager brought a telescope and we saw the stars, the Moon, the planets, the kids loved it, we also. Overall, EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE!!!

The only piece of warning relates to the neighbours: for a couple of days we had a newly wed couple that at the arrival turn on the music quite loud, confusing Maldives with Ibiza. The reception helped but the guests were not receptive right away. Would help the management of the resort to put some notes in the rooms asking the guests to keep the noise at minimum, it is not an entertainment place, it is a place of relaxation, meditation, disconnect.

Also my recommendation to the hotel is to forbid the use of mobile phones in the restaurant. There were a couple of persons during some meals that were using the phones, that would not be dramatic, but they were very loud, spoiling the beauty of the place while most of the guests even between themselves were speaking very quietly. I suggest technology to be used in the room only, but still quietly.

But remember my headline: it is a lovely place, worth visiting!

Room Tip: We had an overwater bungalow. If you could get one towards east would give you the opportunity to se...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Travelallover2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Thank you tripadvisor! We only found out about this gem of a resort courtesy of tripadvisor. My wife and I stayed 4-5 nights and it was faultless. We've stayed in a few nice places around the world (for example: Lizard Island, One & Only Cape Town) and Mirihi really was a paradise. The staff were so attentive, warm and friendly - not a bad word to say about them. The massages were wonderful. The island was beautifully small and peaceful and even the sand was perfectly fine (the finest sand I've ever walked on anywhere in the world). Our time at Mirihi will be with us forever. Super special. Beautifully peaceful. Not pretentious or commercial (nearby Conrad Rangali resort, if you want that kind of thing). Just a perfect paradise. Please do yourself a favour and go!

Please note that this review relates to our visit in Aug 2012, before the resort's refurbishment and renovation. I still feel there is value in writing this review now because the resort really was so special and deserves the highest praise, even for a trip from 2 years ago.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AkkersTrip
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 June 2014

we have oceans ... this colour in Australia.
sand ... as talcum-fine.
and skies as blue.

BUT
the Maldives is something SPECIAL. Magical.

Mirhi Resort (Swiss run ?) was a sensory + visual delight. Not possible to list all the positives.
The only negative: having to leave.
Please, GO. You will be astounded, delighted and re-booted.

ps; we prefer smaller resorts.
pps: if you dont fancy snorkeling/ scuba-ing, sun baking or reading ... could be best to vacation elsewhere ?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank possuminpandaland
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

This was a vacation to remember, not just because it's Maldives, little paradise on Earth, but also because of the Mirihi team's efforts to make it as smooth and top notch as possible. We did a lot of research before coming here and read that a lot of hotels send out a sea plane quite late for you and on the day of departure send you out early, which means if you stay a week 2 days of your vacation are just lost. But I couldn't be more grateful for the Mirihi team for organizing our sea planes early for the arrival and later in the day for the departure as promised.

We also got the honeymoon package, which we got a great value for. From photo shooting by the ocean to a wedding cake, champaign, a nice bottle of wine and simply amazing dinner under the stars with a personal chef and a waiter. We got the lobster dinner, which was simply unbelievable -- it was a five course dinner, two of which were whole lobsters, the biggest lobsters we have ever seen! It was quite impressive that the staff got to know our taste in food and drinks during the week, and it was all coherently reflected on the day of the ceremony-- it shows the effort, team work, and flawless communication between different departments.

Other than that, the house reefs were beautiful and quite comparable to the ones we saw during the snorkeling day tour, if not better. The food, as mentioned by many, was superb. The chef takes a great pride in his creations, which is well deserved. Every night there was some kind of activity such as star gazing, movie night, and a cocktail party.

If I were to mention cons, the island doesn't have a pool, tv, and some toiletries like brushes and razors that a chain hotel would have. But we really didn't miss those -- who needs a pool and a tv when there is amazing white powdery sand beach with small reef sharks and colorful fish/corals! What a vacation-- we most certainly want to be back again and counting days now!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank TravelNotes15
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This review dates back to 2013 and to this day we continue to talk about our amazing experience. We stayed in a water bungalow and enjoyed the half board. I truly recommend this resort as a paradise worth experiencing. The rates are very high, so naturally there is a question of value for money.

Pros
- great house reef. Amazing to see the sea turtles swim past you as you enjoy the reef right below the bungalow. We did not go diving but heard good things.
- excellent service all around
- food was very plentiful with great variety due to the daily theme. Head chef was super friendly and always explained the dishes in the buffet. We genuinely looked forward to the themed food each day.
- overall serenity due to it being a small resort. For the most part, clientele were couples, so not many kids running around. I think kids would get bored here.
- due to sea plane timing, they provided us with a bungalow to wait in until our pick up
- I enjoyed the no tv policy. Actually the wifi was pretty decent speed for an isolated island.

Cons
- they have a lobster night at the fine dining restaurant...I found the food a bit disappointing, as my lobster was overlooked and dry. Not a big deal.
- the rooms are not luxurious, as others have said. Very comfortable but I can imagine people wanting more for their money.
- if you have a noisy neighbor in the next bungalow, the proximity of the bungalows means your peace will be disturbed. Only happened occasionally.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OzCol1981
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mirihi
Constance Moofushi
#1 of 1 in Rangali Island
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
Lily Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Huvahandhoo Island

Been to Mirihi Island Resort? Share your experiences!