“Ultimate honeymoon destination”

Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I spent 9 wonderful nights at the Anantara Kihavah. From the moment you arrive in Male to the time you depart Male, the service from the staff is outstanding.
The Anantara staff in Male took care of us whilst we were waiting for our sea plane transfer and we relaxed in the Anantara private room at the seaplane airport. Free Wifi and refreshments were available. The seaplane transfer to the resort was prefect, not to short and not too long.

Upon our arrival at the resort, we were greeted by the resort staff, offered a refreshing drink and provided a tour of the resort via buggy and check in was completed in the villa.

The Villa
We spent all of our 9 nights in an overwater villa in room 224, the third bungalow from the end of pontoon. You are unable to jump into the lagoon from your villa as it is too shallow, and there is no platform to reflect this. This is probably one of the only differences that I found between Maldives resorts and Bora Bora resort.
The villa is absolutely huge and one of the main reasons why we selected the Kihavah. The bed is amongst the best that I have slept on, and the bedroom was huge with a daybed there also. There are two decent sized walk in closets and a very big bathroom with double basin, toilet, shower, spa bath and the most lux looking daybed. The bedrooms and bathroom face the lagoon, so you always get to see the amazing views. The deck outside has a huge swinging day bed, rope netting, a very decent sized pool and two lounges. I felt that the room does have a lot of privacy as there are little to no boats passing around there and you may see your neighbor going for a swim in the lagoon, that would be about it.
The shower is facing the lagoon also, which is a very nice view however, if you can see others in the lagoon, I'm sure that they can see you too. I would recommend the resort install some kind of automatic glass frosting for the shower with the flick of a switch. This resort doesn't provide little travel shampoo etc, they have ceramic jars with shampoo, conditioner, body wash, after sun gel etc, which is much larger than one or two travel sized product and is replenished daily.
The room had all the amenities that you would expect and more from a 5 star resort including three different types of Nespresso coffee pods, straw sun hat, straw bag, indoor and outdoor slippers etc. We were also provided with two push bikes to get around the island which hubby and I used quite a bit. Unfortunately, my husbands pushbike was missing a number of spokes through rust but we believe that the resort are in the process of changing over those bikes with rust. Our villa butler, Issan, was lovely and always on hand if we required assistance.
The housekeeping team are brilliant an cleaned our room at least twice a day. Our amenities were always fully stocked and we really enjoyed and appreciated the efforts in running us a rose petal bubble bath.

The Spa
I had purchased the 7 day spa package, and I was not disappointed at all! They spa staff are friendly, and their treatments are to die for. They were flexible with my treatments and as wanted a different massage than specified, on two occasions and I was accommodated without a problem and with a smile. I had read in previous reviews that the downside is that you can hear the sea planes as it is near where they land. During my stay I thought about it and decided that I would prefer to hear the seaplanes during my treatments (which really, wasn't that bad) as opposed to hearing it from our villa. I would highly recommend the 7 day spa treatment to all!

The Activities
Jitsu, the Recreation Manager, is a standout for us. On our first day at the resort, he went above and beyond in terms of service. Instead of pointing out where the spa was when I asked, he personally took us to the spa and provided a tour of the spa (as it wasn't yet open). This type of service really stood out for me. Hubby and I were entertained in the recreation room. We played a bit of fooseball as well as pool/billiards. They also have ping pong, badminton, darts and chess at the recreation room. The gym equipment is in excellent condition, new and modern.
The Dive team are honestly a great bunch of people. We did a few trips out, always provided with fresh water and the husband and I also did some wake boarding, which was a lot of fun. This resort has an in house reef which we would snorkel and we saw some great marine life at the resort.
The other nice touches that the resort provides are twice weekly mocktail/cocktail gatherings in the evening, with divine drinks and canapes. The whole team are involved during these events, and the spa staff are on had to provide a quick neck or shoulder massage.
The resort infinity pool is beautiful and the sunshine butler always has a smile and is ready to provide you with assistance.

The food/drinks
Our package included breakfast and lunch, and both were buffet style. The breakfast was really good, lots of variety and someone ready to cook your omelet or eggs how you like. At breakfast, you could have a glass of bubbly or a cafe latte at no additional cost. I thought the lunches were just ok though. We ate at all the restaurants and our favorites were Sea and Salt. Cocktails and watching the sunset at the Sky Bar is a must do.
The rest of the restaurants were just ok and I think it might be worthwhile to re look at some of the menus.This resort is definitely expensive when it comes to food and drink however, we acknowledge that the Maldives are in the middle of no where and have most of their food imported so it was not a big surprise for us.

The resort was the right size, not too big and not too small.

On our last day, we were due to leave Male very late in the evening. Our villa butler advised us that if were were to take the sea plane back to Male, we would be required to leave in the afternoon and would be stuck at Male for a number of hours. Issan advised us that we are able to extend our stay into the evening if we wished, and we would be transported via boat to a island close by with a domestic airport, for a short flight to Male. Changing over from seaplane to domestic plane was no additional cost and it was an offer that we gladly took him up on, as we were keen to stay in paradise for as long as we could. A nice final touch was the invitation for my husband and I to plant our own coconut tree together on the island.

All in all, I would highly recommend this resort as the service is top notch, very luxurious and the resort is so versatile. I found it very romantic for my honeymoon and I can absolutely see myself staying in one of the beach villas when we return as a family (the kids club looked great).

2  Thank PlatinumFreqFlier
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear PlatinumFreqFlier,

We always want our guests to leave with amazing stories to tell, thank you for sharing your wonderful stories with the readers of this forum. We strive to provide great experience for all of our guests and I am very happy to know that you really had memorable honeymoon experience from your stay with us. what a great and detailed feedback.

The biggest compliment you could pay to all of us is that you found the staff exceptionally friendly and attentive. Our team takes great pride in offering the very best service and unforgettable experiences for our guests and your comments makes our entire associates extremely proud of what we do and I am very pleased to share it to the member of my Team.

I have noted some areas need to look at, I wish to assure you that we are in the process of improving our food offerings. Our new bikes arrived last month and Engineering team are ensuring that all bikes are rust-free and well-maintained. I will also share your valuable comments about the auto glass frosting to our Head Office team.

Thank you for recommending our Anantara Kihavah to other travellers.

We all look forward in welcoming you back in not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas

Reviewed 19 November 2013

we went with firends and we enjoyed very much
all room are nice the sunset side is better
service was excellent from the manger of reception BIATRIC all the way to the cleaning staff
food is very expensive
all over we enjoyed a lot

Room Tip: sunset side villa or beach
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at Anantara Kihavah for 3 days in November and it was the most amazing holiday we ever had! Not only is the sea, island, and villas beautiful. But what is most outstanding is the service, everyone from the butler to the waitress to the boat boys to the diving staff is friendly helpful and smiley. Being in a wheelchair I am overly aware and sensitive to silly comments and a look that lasts too long, but at Kihavah I felt completely comfortable and I felt all the staff making such a big effort to help in any way possible. Was definitely impressed by the way this hotel/island is managed. Only wish there were more places like this!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Veronica P,

I have the immense chance in my job to encounter some amazing people and i felt so blessed to meet you. your kindness and joy for everything must be sample for all of us. it was a privilege to host you and your husband. as i said it was the most romantic arrival i have ever seen, when your husband carry you on his back to the jetty.
it was sincerely effortless to serve you and offer you the best of this island.
Anantara Kihavah is unique, sorry this i cannot help ;-) but good news you are just few hours away... and i will be waiting for you on the jetty.

I have shared all comments with the entire team and we all hope to see you again,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I, whom after 7 years of marriage, whisked away to the ultimate indulgence in Anantara Kihavah for 3 nights. The place is incredibly beautiful with pristine waters and a stunning environment. I am a frequent traveler, but this place is truly for connoisseurs who appreciate attention to details and the people factor. We had the remarkable pleasure of meeting the charming GM whom despite his full occupancy still managed to make us feel special through an unparalleled 360 degree hotel experience. His leadership style resonated throughout the entire staff. In a world where we see pretentious and insincere service, on the contrary each and every member of his team wore a genuine smile (especially Risan our butler, and Lena & dive team) and anticipated our every need graciously with humbleness and sincerity. Furthermore given my wife is in a wheelchair, we were fearing the physical challenges of the Maldives, however once again every effort was done to facilitate our logistic arrangements creating an effortless sense of comfort and ease.
Most importantly, the magic created of course by the natural environment, but more so for the overall people experience brought our already 18 year relationship / 7 year marriage to new heights. The intimacy, creativity and service & food innovation / quality have raised the bar for hospitality to an exceptional new level. From laughing and enjoying time with the hotel team, to swimming with turtles, manta rays, dolphins, to enjoying a bottle of Antionori Tignanello in the privacy of our villa, to breathtaking sunsets and private dining, to the tailored cups of Lavazza espresso’s in the morning, we are desperately waiting to go back with hope this is not a once in a life time experience, but one of many memories at the Anantara Kihavah.

Room Tip: room 222 is arguably one of the most incredible havens in the world.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tun-Cheung

Dear Tun-Cheung,

I am speechless and no word could show enough my recognition for this amazing review. It was our privilege to welcome you in Anantara Kihavah. We are already missing you so much here!!! I value your feedback as working in Hospitality business you understand that our main asset is the team. This is the reason Anantara Kihavah is classified in the top resorts within Maldives.
Our duty is really to create unique and tailored experience and I am delighted to see we have succeeded another time.
I am sure you will keep long memory about your swim in the indian ocean surrounded by all these manta rays.
ok enough talk, when will you be back, still some Tignanello in the cellar ;-)

Looking forward to hearing from your next reservation soon, be careful 222 is a jewel villa which many others wish to stay in

with kind regards,

Reviewed 5 November 2013

You can do all the research you like on the Maldives and its seemingly endless number of beautiful resorts on hundreds of islands, but nothing will prepare you for the experience of seeing and staying at the Anantara Kihavah Villas resort. We stayed in an over-water villa for four nights at the beginning of October at the start of a five-week overseas trip and had an absolutely wonderful time. In fact, if you have ever dreamt of staying at a perfect island resort with fantastic accommodation; friendly, attentive and smiling service; and in the most spectacular setting you can imagine; then this is the place that you have been dreaming about.
Your first sight of the over-water villas spread out in front of you in a graceful circle on the brilliant turquoise of the Indian Ocean and under the bluest of blue skies is just breathtaking. And, as your mind is still trying to process the sheer beauty of the place, you enter your villa and are immediately just lost for words again! The villas have been beautifully designed to make the most of amazing location. You can lie in your bed and look out over the blue of the ocean or the blue of your own pool, you can bathe in the glass bottom bath, shower in the amazing raindrop indoor shower or the even more amazing outside waterfall shower, lie on the swinging bed on the deck in the gentle breeze or sunbake on the lounges on your lower deck. Everything about the villas is luxurious, private and just so relaxing. Having to decide which shower to use or whether to go for a swim in your huge personal pool or the beautifully warm ocean were the biggest decisions we had to make during the day.

From the moment you arrive at the island the overwhelming feeling is of quiet relaxation. They said that there were about 150 guests on the island when we were there but they just seem to be somehow absorbed by the island because it really doesn’t feel like there are many people there at all. It’s just so quiet and peaceful. While we spent most of our time relaxing in our villa, swimming in the warm water of pool or ocean, eating fabulous meals and having a sunset cocktail we also had plenty of time for other activities. We went snorkelling over the house reef with its hundreds of brightly coloured fish, visited a nearby island to get just a taste of life in the Maldives and went swimming with Manta Rays. If you ever get the chance you have to swim with Manta Rays. Watching these creatures gliding, twisting, turning and slowly somersaulting below you is just like watching the most beautiful of underwater ballets you could ever see.

If the setting and accommodation at Anantara Kihavah are fantastic then the service there is at the very least its equal. From the moment we were picked-up at the airport and taken to the Resort’s seaplane terminal waiting room until the resort staff said goodbye to us at the nearby domestic airport we received the best service we have ever known. No matter where we were, what we were doing or who it was, there was always a smiling, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful person to assist us. Not only did they respond to all the needs we could think of they also were wonderful in anticipating what our needs might be and proactively providing advice to us. We loved having the opportunity to talk to members of the Resort’s staff and, while its always difficult to single people out we particularly thank Maria, Benji, Aboo, Zahid, Gerry, Sebo, Nasru, Husan and Ali for helping to make our Maldives experience such a special one.

The five days that we spent at Anantara Kihavah Villas was a dream start to a dream holiday. The people were great, the food was fantastic, the accommodation was amazing and the location was spectacular. We would highly recommend Anantara Kihavah Villas to anyone considering a holiday in the beautiful and relaxing Maldives.

2  Thank DavidandPhilipa

Dear DavidandPhilipa,
Greetings from a heaven! Thank you for the very thoughtful and detailed review about your experience with us.
I truly appreciate your wonderful decryption of our beautiful and spacious villas. The views, as you noted, are magnificent and so tranquil overlooking the Indian Ocean. I am also pleased to know that you enjoyed the manta trip and other excursions we offered. our guest have the chance to experience a life time experience.
Also, thank you for your great remarks concerning our team, I have shared your wonderful praise with them. Our team displays genuine care and warmth and they go above and beyond to ensure our guests are comfortable and relaxed during their stay. as part of Anantara hotels group, our duty is to offer heartfelt hospitality
Thank you for your appreciation and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at Anantara Kihavah for 5 days at the end of October and had a great time on the island.
The pool water villas are exceptional – they are designed extremely well and are of a standard rarely found in the Maldives. The terrace is extremely private, and the views are second to none.
Our butler Mausool did a fantastic job organising everything that needed organising, and the room boys did a great job as well – the villa was cleaned twice daily and absolutely spotless.
Everyone on the island was genuinely friendly and always greeted us with a smile. The food was great as well – every taste is catered for.
The beach is wide and runs across the whole island – the colours you see while walking around the island are simply amazing.
We have been fortunate enough to stay on a number of islands in the past, and the accommodation on Anantara is by far the best we have come across. Snorkelling is good but not exceptional, but we have high standards as we are experienced snorkelers - see our review of Baros which we visited after Anantara.
Overall - Anantara Kihavah is not cheap but worth every penny - relaxation sets in almost instantly. :)

2  Thank Kurumba77

Dear Kurumba77,

Such review give to the entire team a huge pride, especially for a maldives connoisseur. On behalf of the entire team, we truly appreciate your wonderful feedback about Anantara Kihavah. Our team takes great pride in offering the very best service and unforgettable experiences for our guests. From our breath-taking surroundings, to the pristine white beaches, and of course luxurious accommodations. and as you underline we also make the difference with our charming and dedicated team to only offer the best to our client.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and please contact me before it will be my privilege to assist you in your reservation and create another memorable stay for you

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We are currently staying here, the staff have been amazing, ever since we arrived at Male airport. We have not come across anyone who does not greet you, morning, noon or night without a smile. The choices of food are fantastic, cooked to perfection, displayed and served impeccably.
The choice of activities is wide, predominantly water based.
It is a romantic place, where you can be very indulgent and private.
There is also the family friendly side with full children facilities here.
The housekeeping is immaculate and nothing is too much bother.
We will be recommending this place, and returning soon hopefully.

Room Tip: Over water villas are amazing, but ALL villas are private.

Dear travellernot,

Thank you taking the time to lively review your stay here at Anantara Kihavah Villas, and for the kind compliments about the food, services, activities. We are aiming to offer all the services for each and every guest from Honeymoon to family retreat and relaxation time.

It is very rewarding and a great honour to read your comment and also we appreciate you will spray the word of mouth to your entourage

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Please feel free to contact me, i will be delighted to assist you with your booking

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihavah Huravalhi
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
Soneva Fushi
Soneva Fushi
#1 of 1 in Kunfunadhoo
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#3 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas? Share your experiences!