“A Taste of Paradise”

Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It is impossible for us to benchmark the Anantara Kihavah against any other Maldivian resort as this was our first time to the Maldives. What I can say, is that in spite of being the most expensive holiday we have taken as a family, that it did not disappoint in any way. We were staying in a Family Beach villa over the Easter period. The accommodation was superb with the beach only meters away. The food in all the restaurants was excellent, and whether you were ordering Burgers, Asian specialities or Italian; everything was fabulous. But as others have mentioned a special mention should go to the buffet breakfast which was sumptuous beyond belief. But what really made the experience special was the quality of staff. Wrong to single anybody in particular out as they were all excellent but we will anyway. So special regards to Maria at Plates and Benji at Sky. My son did his Junior Open Water Diver certification whilst we were there and once again, the staff at Elements Dive Centre were superb with special thanks to Nejk who trained my son. If snorkeling is your bag rather than diving then the island reef between the Dive Centre and Spa is where you want to be. The coral is somewhat bleached but the variety of fish and marine life on display was second to none. A final mention for Lionel the Resort Manager. His staff are a credit to him and he is out and about every day engaging with guests. If I had to find a criticism then it would be that the beer from the bars was never quite cold enough for my taste. But that is it as far as criticism goes. The Anantara Kihavah has set a bar for our future holidays that will be very hard to beat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Patrick0310
Anantara K, Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Patrick0310,

Greetings from Anantara Kihavah!

On behalf of the team, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your recent stay at Anantara Kihavah and for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor.

As first time in the Maldives, it is our utmost pleasure to know that you have chosen and stayed in Anantara Kihavah Villas with the fabulous experience. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your beautiful and spacious villa, the cuisines especially the lavish breakfast buffet, the service from our associates, as well as the diving activity.

Thank you for your kind commendations to our associates especially Maria, Benjie and Nejc, who introduce the underwater world to your son. Congratulations for becoming a Junior Open Water Diver!. It is my pleasure to share your kind comments to the entire team.

Thank you for pointing out about the beer, I have shared your valuable comment to Jameel, our Director of Food and Beverage, please be assured that we will take necessary action on this matter. Whilst we appreciate reading rave reviews and words of praise, it is equally important to know where we can improve in order to exceed the expectations of our esteemed clientele. We sincerely appreciate your constructive feedback.

We are all looking forward for your return for another amazing experience.

With sunny regards,

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Anantara Kihavah has been on my list of resorts to visit ever since it opened but has always been put aside in favor of other resorts for one reason or another. I am glad I finally visited this stunning resort, which I have to say is the most luxurious of the resorts I have visited thus far.

Accommodations: We stayed in an Overwater Pool Villa, which was easily the nicest we've ever stayed at. The villa itself is elegantly decorated with exotic motifs and exudes a tropical colonial flair. At 259 square meters, these are among the very largest water villas in the Maldives. As a base level water villa, they beat out many higher category water villas at other luxury resorts I have previously stayed like Conrad Rangali. Bathrooms are spacious and include a sunken bathtub with glass bottom and two separate showers. The outdoor shower has a wonderful waterfall feature, while the indoor shower has a nice view of the lagoon. The highlight is the deck, which has a huge plunge pool with jets, a lovely swing bed, and hammocks over the water. The only real disappointment is that it is a long swim to the reef unless you are near the end of the jetty, so there is very little to see snorkeling around the water villas themselves.

Service: Very good, if sometimes a bit slow, throughout my stay despite the resort seemingly being at full capacity. Every villa gets a butler to assist with their stay, and we felt this added to the sense of personalized service. Anantara is a luxury brand renowned for their service, and we felt Kihavah lived up to its reputation in this regard.

Dining: Kihavah has a large and excellent dining complex with restaurants of various themes and cuisines. The underwater restaurant Sea was very pricey but worth it just for the experience. It is one of only two underwater restaurants in the country (the other being at Conrad Rangali). Having been to both, I would say Sea wins for its superior setting. It's located at the reef drop-off with live corals and anemones versus a sandy lagoon bottom, which makes for a much more dramatic and lively view in my opinion. The food was very good but not entirely memorable compared to the atmosphere and setting. In general, the quality of food was excellent throughout our stay. We preferred dining at Plates for the most part for its beautiful beachside location and sand floors. The buffet spread at breakfast is stunning and quite possibly the best I've had at any resort.

Setting: Kihavah is a gorgeous island located in northern Baa Atoll. It is a large and lush island with a beautiful lagoon and jungle-like interior. The south side of the island has a view of a chain of mostly uninhabited islands, which makes for a very unique and picturesque backdrop. There are no noticeable sea defenses on the island, so the beach does tend to shift with the seasons. Some areas are wider than others, so do contact the resort to see which areas are least affected by erosion shortly before your stay. The quality of sand is also a bit variable, and there are patches of rather coarse sand (due to washed up coral bits) scattered among other areas of powder soft sand.

House Reef: I knew beforehand that this resort wouldn't have a stand-out house reef, but I still managed to have a good snorkeling experience regardless. The most recommended path is from the dive center to the spa, as the other sections of the reef are poor in terms of corals. This is quite typical of Baa Atoll resorts, which have suffered more from coral bleaching (or are slower to recover) than other areas of the Maldives. While the quality of corals was disappointing for the most part, there are still small areas of healthy and beautiful coral growth. In addition, due to the island's location near a busy channel, the quantity of marine life was one of the best I've seen in the Maldives. While the house reef itself wasn't that healthy overall, what it lacks in live coral it makes up for in abundant marine life. It is worth mentioning that the resort is in the process of growing and implanting corals to increase the recovery of the reef.

Conclusion: Overall, Anantara Kihavah exceeded my expectations. It's the priciest resort I've stayed at, but the experience was truly beyond a typical 5-star luxury resort. While there are an increasing number of "6-star" resorts popping up in the Maldives, I think Anantara Kihavah stands out for their eco-friendly stance and commitment to the natural environment upon which they have built their resort.

Room Tip: For more peace and privacy, request a water villa near the end of the jetty on the north side.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jpmaldivestraveller

Dear jpmaldivestraveller,

We are delighted to read that you finally made it to Anantara Kihavah and had a wonderful time staying with us and we had exceed your expectations.

I am happy that you love the interior of your villa, the spacious bathrooms as well as the infinity pool overlooking the Indian Ocean. Thank you for your compliments about the size of our overwater villas despite of many new resorts popping in the Maldives you still find that we beat all of them.

I am glad that you like the concept of our personalized butler service, we always ensure that all our valued guests requests are taken care of personally by your villa hosts. As for the slow service, we have taken necessary measures and reinforce this into our service training to ensure that our standards are being followed.

Furthermore, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed the dining selections as well as the cuisines in our restaurant and appreciated the quality of food. I am glad also that Sea restaurant wins your heart in favour of the location, the setting and atmosphere. Please be informed that you can also view what’s happening underwater outside of Sea restaurant, please go to this link http://kihavah-maldives.anantara.com/webcam.aspx.

With the collaboration of the Dive center team, we planted many corals in different areas such as in front of the Dive center, overwater villas and Sea restaurant to indeed accelerate the regeneration of coral growth.

We really appreciate your compliments about Anantara Kihavah, as well as the friendliness and helpfulness of our Team Members. Your comments are surely an encouragement for all of us to keep delivering highest service to our guest.

The entire Team is looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little paradise for more amazing experiences!

With kind regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and i went there for our honeymoon. The staff is more than hospitable and courteous starting from greeting us in Male to waving goodbye on our last day. The overwater villas are
BREATHTAKING and being a very picky person thats hard to impress, they never failed to impress me. The daily activities were really fun; however, some where just a waste of money and time, such as the trip to the local island and visiting the museum. The fishing (regular one not the big game), snorkeling and turtle quests were so much fun. The food is outstanding in the main restaurant, italian, Japanese and Salt; however, the Sea (underwater) restaurant doesn't offer the quality of food for such a high price and depends solely on the amazing atmosphere they offer, which to me is very disappointing because this restaurant should be perfect. The weather was 75% rainy-stormy and only 25% sunny but never cold. Our villa host, Aneel, was beyond helpful, we always found him whenever needed without ever intruding on our privacy. For the most privacy, request the villas at the end of the jetty, the ones right before the family villas. Ours was the one on the left right before the family villa and its ocean was also so clear of rocks and very private.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bassant Z

• Dear Bassant Z,

• Thank you for sharing your experience online about your stay at Anantara Kihavah Villas.

We are glad you choose Anantara for your honeymoon and were delighted about the overall experience. Thank you for complementing our cuisines, the villas and the excursions. I am happy that you like and enjoyed all of them. I will definitely share your kind comments to the members of my Team especially to our culinary brigade and Aneel, your Villa host for the great service your received.

I am sad you did not enjoy the local island trip and the quality of food at our Sea restaurant. Whilst we appreciate reading rave reviews and words of praise, it is equally important to know where we can improve in order to exceed the expectations of our esteemed clientele. We sincerely appreciate your constructive feedback as well.

On behalf, Anantara Kihavah Team, I would like to thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. We all look forward to seeing you soon.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I've been 15 times in the Maldives, only in top resorts. Kihavah is all that a Maldives lover can look for. Very personalized service, luxurious yet with a local and authentic touch, very friendly staff always striving to please you, great house reef - better snorkeling than many dives in other atolls, amazing yoga experience, dream spa over water, the best kids club animator (Adam is a star !), private and spacious water villas with pools above a wonderful lagoon and a GM that speaks to the guests every day making them all feel like VIPs. Private dinner on the beach is a must. All in a relaxed atmosphere where guests are simply enjoying the stay with their families without feeling obliged to dress up for the amazing Friday night beach BBQ.

Thank you Laurent for the recommendation and well done Lionel - we'll be back soon :-)

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Andreeahb

Dear Andreeahb,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed account about your recent stay at Anantara Kihavah Villas on Trip Advisor.

We are truly pleased to read that you had a wonderful holiday at our Resort and that our team assisted you in making your vacation an unforgettable one. It is very rewarding to know that not only the villas and location, but also the service of our associates enhanced your visit. Your positive feedback will further motivate us to ensure that we continue our efforts to meet and exceeded the expectations that our guest rightfully wait from us. It is my pleasure to share your kind words to the team.

Once again, thank you for choosing Anantara Kihavah for your holiday. The team and I are looking forward for your return soon.

With sunny regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This property is very gorgeous, villa over water with swimming pool allows you to relax, sipping some nice wine overlooking the beautiful ocean.

The management of the hotel is very efficient and pro. For exemple, the first day we had an issue with airco, the first fix din't work and when I complains the second time it was fixed and we received a good bottle of wine as present for the issue.

While the villa are really great, the concept of the "all open to the sea" for the villa can be a bit disturbing (ie open window from bath room, including toilet !!!) with view to the swimming pool and ocean may create some unexpected situation ,sometime I like to be isolated in some private situation if you see what I mean )))

Breakfast (and overall food) was fantastic with so many different taste (Japanese, Italian, European, Fish, ...) . Spa treatment was very good (though overpriced). And of course diving is great

I selected this resort partially to be able to try the under water restaurant and even though the food was ok and atmosphere under water really great, I was finally cooled down with the bill (more than 1000$ for 2 adult diner and 2 simple child diner). On the other hand the resort is very child friendly and I would say that to the exception of the underwater restaurant, food and beverage cost were according to maldives's price.

The only negative point I can raise is the check in/out process. Due to the departure with oversea planes you must leave no later that 3pm (no possibility to land on sea after dawn). This is forcing you to spend many hours in Male airport if you flight is like for us leaving or arriving late. I would advice the management of this resort to find a solution for a "just in time" check-in/check-out, maybe using speed boat and you own flight.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Frédéric V

Dear Frédéric V,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about your recent stay at Anantara Kihavah Villas.

The team and I are very delighted to read that overall you had an amazing stay with us and that we exceeded your expectations.

We really appreciate your kind comments about our cuisines and most especially our associates who made your stay unforgettable. Glad to know also that you enjoyed the Spa and the diving experience. Also, I wish to assure you that our prices are in line with the competitive set in the Maldives.

Thank you for your comments with regard to the design of the villas. I have passed your valuable comments to our Head Office. And as for the check in/check out process is concern, we sincerely apologize for inconvenience that you experienced during the departure. Seaplanes are not capable of flying in the evening hence the options is to leave early or by domestic flight that leaves at around 8PM via Dharavandhoo airport.

It is indeed a true pleasure to host you at Anantara Kihavah. We all hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back in a not too distant future.

With warm regards,
Your Anantara Team

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I chose to stay in three different hotels in the Maldives. Started by Taj Exotica, after Gili Lankanfushi and finally, Anantara Kihavah.
The Gili led us speedboat from Malé airport where we were professionally well greeted by Anantara Kihavah. They Boarded our bags for the Seaplane, the TransMaldivian and then we were taken to the lounge of the Anantara to await the departure of the flight. This lounge is very cosy with free wifi, free drinks and snacks. Everything with high quality. We've done the hotel check in in the airport lounge. The 35 min flight was wonderful. Beautiful vision of the atolls and other resorts.
We arrived at the Anantara and were well received but all very professional . Gili and Taj were profissional too but warmest. The village was huge, luxurious, too beautiful. Free wifi in the room, free water, free Nespresso. Our villa is overwater with pool, big and beautiful pool. Without a doubt the prettiest of the three villages that host us, but we feel a lot of lack of excellent service from Gili and Taj. The Anantara is an very nice hotel however the Gili Lankanfushi and Taj Exotica were much better due to the exceptional service, the warmth. The Gili Lankanfushi was the most exclusive of the three with only 45 villas. In The Anantara kids are more welcoming. Children around loses the romanticism and the feeling of exclusivity. The other two are much more romantic. In relation to natural beauty all three resorts are breathless but the Gili was the most beautiful place I've ever been in our entire lives. The food of Gili Lankanfushi was the best of the three. The Taj was also very good and the Anantara maybe we didn't have lucky. My wife ordered a dish in the restaurant SALT that was impossible to eat, so spicy. We don't eat in the SEA, the underwater restaurant, however we visited it and it's wonderful.
On the last day, our Seaplane was the 04:00 pm and check in the 12:00 h. Nobody in the hotel knew what to do with us in that range. It was all very confusing, we needed to go to reception three times and we were always in doubt. Nasheed was our guest relation and he had no idea what to do. Not to mention that he had an unstable temperament. Sometimes he was in nice time and other times in bad mood . I think he doesn't like his job. I know that it's hard to please the guests who coming from the amazing Gili and the wonderful Taj. Very different from Gili where our guest relation, Liu, handled everything for us. We had the same problem in Gili but they left us stay in the villa until the check out time and we didn't ask anything. Amazing. Gili is really the number one in Maldives. The second best hotel in Ásia and the third in the World. It's perfect.
Anantara Kihavah is a very expensive resort and for this they should improve the service provided. We Like Anantara, of course, but I still recommend more Gili Lankanfushi and the Taj Exotica.

Room Tip: We loved our overwater pool villa.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank cred68

Dear cred68,

Greetings from Anantara Kihavah Villas!

Thank you for your feedback and that you have taken the time to describe your impression about Anantara Kihavah Villas.

It’s a true pleasure to host you at Anantara Kihavah. I am really sad to read that you did not feel the warmth service of our associates as you mentioned, as our team exudes genuine care and warmth and they go above and beyond to ensure our guests are comfortable and relaxed during their stay. Nevertheless, we truly appreciate the comments from our guests as it nourishes us with important information that allows us to enhance our product and improve our service with continuous assessment and so we can continue to offer a well-balanced value for money.

I sincerely apologize regarding the seaplane timings which was not handled accordingly. I have spoken to our Front Manager about the matter and I would like to assure you that we have taken necessary measures to prevent this issue from happening to our future guests. Thank you for your perceptions about Nasheed, I am sorry that he didn’t quite deliver the best service that we always aim to provide to

On behalf of the team, we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back, at which time I will personally make sure you experience the true meaning of our resort.

Yours sincerely,
Your Anantara Team

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Where to start?!! Firstly I cannot quite believe some of the poor reviews of this place- were these people staying somewhere different to us?!!
We travelled with our little 2 year old boy and this is possibly one if the most family friendly places we have ever stayed, but honeymooners and couples please don't let this put you off! The way the Island has been designed it is so cleaver that you never see any screaming misbehaving children- its so unbelievably quiet and you have an incredible feeling of space!! Having your own very reasonably sized private pool (not plunge pool but a proper pool) helped a lot I think and most people stayed close to their villas so it really felt at times like you had the whole island to yourself.
Never before have I actually had tears in my eyes upon leaving a holiday- I truly felt emotional about leaving here! My husband and I have travelled a lot both with and without children and stayed in some of the top hotels in the world and I have to say this is is up there with the best.
Something to consider when travelling to the Maldives (this was our 2nd time) is that the view from island to island pretty much stays the same wherever you are, so go somewhere which has beautiful rooms (tick for Kihavah) and good service (the service on this occasion was impeccable!!) So many thank yous- but especially to Isme at the Manzuna pool bar who my son misses now we're home! To Nooh our house keeping who every day immaculately cleaned our room (and with a 2 year old thats a pretty big task!) and gave me the most wonderful Mothers Day surprise, and to Thoi who did a wonderful job baby sitting our son and was so unbelievably friendly and willing to help. The staff really are so genuinely lovely and friendly!!!
This place really is the ultimate paradise- total heaven on earth and now we're back in the cold UK I miss it so much (trying to persuade my husband to go again next year!!).
OK now for the stuff to help prospective travellers:
Any room on the island really is perfect- I walked round the island a couple of times and each room has its positives. We stayed in room 125- a beach villa on the north east side of the the villa which I would recommend if travelling with small children. Our room was so unbelievably private- no one could see in to the garden where the pool was- the beach was literally a 5 second walk round a curved path which provided the privacy. For couples travelling alone I would recommend the water villas, although I think you get more of a feeling of space and privacy at a beach villa. I noticed a few comments about the sea plane landing and taking off- I cant really comment on this as most mornings, having a 2 year old we were awake by 6.30 but I can say I never really noticed it being an issue or any noise from it- its quite fascinating to watch them taking off and landing!
I would recommend doing half board- we definitely got our moneys worth!! I noticed a few negative comments about the price of food- its no more expensive than other resorts in the Maldives of a similar class and you have to remember that 99% of the food is imported from a long way away so it going to be more expensive. Room service (which we used a lot for lunch time) I really couldn't fault- food was really high standard and always came piping hot!! The menu for babies and children (all free) really was amazing!!
Salt was my favourite restaurant. If Im going to be really really picky the only tiny criticism I have is that Sea (the underwater restaurant) was a little bit disappointing. It certainly is an experience and I would probably recommend lunch rather than dinner as you get a better view of the fish with it being light. I am also pregnant and unable to drink - we weren't aware prior to our meal that set cost of the menu includes a different wine with each course. When you factor this is to the price, its actually pretty reasonable as probably more than $100 worth is on wine alone but if you're like me and not able to drink or don't want to drink $370 is a lot for the quality of food (which was a little disappointing). Not to say I wouldn't do it again, but probably for lunch. And my husband certainly enjoyed himself after drinking my wine too!!
Final quick tip- if you have a late flight departure from Male ask about the domestic flight rather than the seaplane- we paid for an extended check out on our day of departure which meant we had almost a full day still on the island and didn't need to leave until 7pm!
If you have any doubts about this place, please don't and please dismiss any negative comments on here! I can only assume that these people don't travel very much, have never stayed in the Maldives before or something must have fundamentally gone wrong on their holiday!!
Anantara Kihavah thank you so much for giving us such a special holiday- one which will be in our memories and hearts for many years to come (and if I get my way we will be back soon :)
Oh and quick shout out to Destinology UK- if you are UK travellers I would recommend getting in touch and ask for Anna Davies! They had the best rates available! Also if travelling from the UK- look at Turkish Airlines- best rates on business seats and good flight times from Uk a with short stop over in Istanbul.
Think thats everything- enjoy if you go here, I'm sure you will and can you fit an extra person in your suitcase? ;)

Room Tip: All of them lovely, beach villa if travelling with children or if you want extra privacy! The reef b...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AWoo80
Anantara K, General Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear AWoo80,

Wow! I am speechless. it is a wonderful review title! Thank you very much for sharing your amazing review about your recent stay here at Anantara Kihavah with other travellers.

I am thrilled to read that you had a memorable stay with us and that we surpassed your expectations in all aspects of hospitality – from the comfort and spacious villa, the cuisine and the friendly yet professional service from our staff. It’s my pleasure to share your encouraging comments to Thoi, Issey and Nooh for the great service your received. Commentaries such as this keeps our associates motivated in everything we do. Thank you for commending our associates.

Glad to note that you were happy with the small touches that we are offering to our young VIPs. Thank you for your comments regarding the Sea restaurant, our underwater restaurant, Sea is offering set menu for lunch and dinner with wine pairings with each course.

Once again, thank you for your great review about Anantara Kihavah and for the 5 stars rating. The team and I are looking forward for your return for another amazing experience.

With warm regards,

Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
Soneva Fushi
Soneva Fushi
#1 of 1 in Kunfunadhoo
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#1 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas? Share your experiences!