“exceeded expectations, an experience we will not forget”

Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My partner and I were introduced to this resort by a previous colleague, Jeffrey Egdani the Assist HR Manager. Our wonderful experience starting from this moment and continued with the ease of booking our accommodation with pro active and appropriate email communication from Jane in reservations. We have now been back for two weeks and have not stopped talking about the experience and continue to post our photos. I wish I could mention all the staff that we encountered they are a credit to Jeffrey and the HR team, however I will mention the staff members who went above and beyond to make our stay 'over the top'. Maria and Didi from Plates, Isey and the crew on the Sunset fishing cruise, Titum and the Indonesian lady in the spa, Jitu the Yoga Guru and we wont forget Julian and nelc from the Dive Shop. I would love to share all our stories and experiences, however I don't have enough room ha. I encourage anyone who is thinking of going to Maldives to choose Anantara Kihavah as you will have an amazing vacation. We stayed in an over-water villa, which wold be up there with the best accommodation I have stayed in. The words that I would use to describe this holiday are: Over the top, amazing, decedent, luxury ... We will defiantly be going back! Do yourself a favour and experience for yourself. IMPRESSIVE!

Room Tip: Over Water Villa and furthest away from the beach
1  Thank Th0mas4
Anantara K, Manager at Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Th0mas4,

It is a true pleasure to have you, stayed with us at the Anantara Kihavah Villas. It is nice to read that you had wonderful stay with us and that we we’re able to exceed your expectations – from the comfort of your villa, the resort activities, and the service from our associates.

I am also happy to read that our associates assisted in turning your vacation experience an unforgettable one. It is endeavor of our team members to provide personalized attention to make each and every guest feel special for them to carry back fond memories of their stay with us. And, I have the pleasure to pass on your compliments to the entire team for the great service you received.

Thank you very much for your kind review and for recommending Anantara Kihavah to other travellers on this forum. We all look forward to welcoming you back in our little paradise in not so distant future.

Your Anantara Team

Reviewed 1 June 2014

This review is long overdue and I feel terrible about it. AK, is perhaps the most perfect place on earth. Clearly we enjoyed our trip the first time around, so this time we promised to bring our 9 year old son with us. This will be a pretty detailed review, so if you're looking for simple advice...JUST BOOK IT!
We spent 8 days at AK in October and loved every moment of our trip. After a long flight from New York, we arrived at the airport in Male bright and early. We were quickly escorted to the water plane terminal and made comfortable in their private lounge for about an hour or so while we waited for our flight. After a quick and HOT flight (the water planes do not have air conditioning, so dress appropriately) we landed at AK. It was raining when we arrived, so the staff greeted us with umbrellas and golf carts. Check in was a breeze, we had our same villa host, Naseem "Beyya" (he is so attentive and professional without being intrusive) as we had the previous year. This kind of attention to detail is always evident. Our son was greeted by some team members from the kids club and he too felt right at home. We were placed in the same overwater villa as we had stayed at previously and even found a charming wooden sign with our name engraved on it hanging on the door. We again loved our villa and everyone enjoyed swimming in the pool and then being able to hop right into the ocean. When we return, I think we will try a beach villa as we have not stayed in one yet. The villas are huge and provide plenty of luxurious living space for a family.
When it comes to food, the half board option is a wonderful choice as we never ran out of things to eat and were also able to dine as quickly or leisurely as possible. The restaurant staff are so attentive, they remember what drinks you like, even what foods are your favorite. On numerous occasions we enjoyed special little treats and mini meals made for us during breakfast and lunch. Take the time to speak with the many chefs and you will find that they are more than happy to make you traditional dishes from their multiple countries. They even customized some things for our son, whose palate is not quite as developed as ours yet. Chef Wiig (i'm sorry if I butchered the spelling of that) was a delight each morning. We thoroughly enjoyed his company and his willingness to share his culinary expertise with us. What a wonderful treat and a great man! The Executive Chef Sam, is present every day, overseeing the execution of the meals. We really enjoyed our conversations with him and found him to be charming and humble. We were yet again delighted at every meal. We took the time to eat at each of the restaurants again and we still hold Fire as our favorite, with Sea and Manzaru as runners-up. We ate at Sea with our son on children's night. We would do a lunch the next time instead, as I would imagine this is a more casual time. We found that the charm of Sea is lost when the room is filled with screaming and rude children. Not every child was this way, but our son was appalled at the behavior of some of his peers that evening. Couples or adults would want to make sure that are aware of which evening is children's night, and do their best to avoid dining that evening. This is only once a week I believe, so plan accordingly. The service was nonetheless perfect and all three of us enjoyed our meals. It is certainly a magical experience and not one to be missed. The food and beverage staff are honestly the best that I have ever encountered. They put their hearts and souls into this job and it is very apparent. Many thanks to our friends in F&B, Dora, Jerry, Tom, Issey, Michele (we missed you this time Maria!) and the many others who I am sadly forgetting at this moment. It is THE STAFF that make the memories at AK so vivid and beautiful.
The Kids Club is something that we experienced for the first time during this stay. We didn't have any expectations going into this, as we were hoping that our son may want to go and check it out, but not counting on it. He has never been a big fan of the kids clubs and thus we were prepared for him not to want to go. This was the exact opposite of what occurred. We had to drag him from the loving and playful counselors almost every day at some time. He had an absolute blast with them and the other kids. The resort was at full capacity during our stay and the staff to child ratio was awesome. There were so many activities and events planned for them. We left on Halloween sadly, and the entire island was decorated and they were prepping for a trick or treat event. It is quite impressive that never once did my son find himself bored or lacking in activities. He made good friends with a couple of kids his age ( Hello to the Whittle Family from England) and enjoyed playing all over the island with them and others. With their counselors, they went swimming, snorkeling, sushi making, island hopping and game playing. It was INCREDIBLE! The facilities at the kids club are modest, but that's because they have them out doing activities and playing. They had all the game stations and indoor electronics, but I rarely saw anyone on them. Maybe on rainy days? The staff were really excellent, my son's favorite member was Adam though. He couldn't stop talking about what a fun and nice guy he was. He really goes above and beyond with the kids. I was blown away with his energy and enthusiasm. The fact that our son actually begged to go the kids club, gave my husband and I the quiet and romantic moments that we had experienced the first time as well. Talk about a winning family vacation! The island is small enough and the staff is so plentiful that we never felt uncomfortable about letting him go to the kids club on his own. The buggy would come and pick him up and drop him back off if we/he wanted. It was an awesome option for us.
This trip though, saw two events that I have to mention. I would be doing a disservice to the entire resort if I didn't share our experiences during these times. The first instance, concerned our son. While our family was riding our bikes down the boardwalk from the overwater villas to the mainland, my son lost his balance and fell off his bike and over the edge of the boardwalk. Being a good 50 feet behind him, we could only scream and pedal faster to get to him. Before we could even get off our bikes, one of the staff members (i'm so sorry I forgot his name) jumped off of a buggy he was riding in and jumped into the water, fully clothed, and grabbed him. My son had been able to stand in the water, but was struggling to hold onto the bike and catch his breath. The staff member took the bike swiftly from him and helped him to the shore while I stood there rather frozen with fear. Thankfully he survived his fall with only a small bruise and one little cut to his foot from landing on a shell. If the staff member had no reacted so quickly and bravely, i'm not sure what kind of damage could have occurred to him. The bike was very heavy and banging up against my son's body before it was retrieved. Many thanks to that staff member for helping us during that frightening experience. Unfortunately, our bike escapades didn't end there. Later on in the week, I had a pretty major freak accident involving my bike. We had just arrived outside the water sports building and I had put my foot down to start getting off my bike. I lost my balance and I grabbed at the handle bars to steady myself on one foot and somehow a spoke on the wheel punctured my calf. In a gut reaction I pulled the spoke out and hit the ground. The wound was quite bloody and I was obviously very dizzy. My husband rushed into the water sports building and in moments a staff member was outside with towels and I was on the ground, with my leg elevated and towels wrapped around to stop the bleeding. The island doctor, Dr. Ice, was at my side within minutes. Even our villa host, Naseem, was there within 4 minutes. By the time 10 minutes had passed, I was already upstairs in the medical clinic having stitches put in. If I were at home in the US, it would have taken me TEN TIMES as long to get that kind of attention and care. My wound was thoroughly cleaned, stitched up with 6 stitches, given a course of antibiotics and back in our villa with a pillow under my leg within in hour. This is just amazing. Dinner and flowers were even brought to our villa that night. The very kind Dr. Ice gave us a "villa call" the next day and I was given follow up instructions for our return to Dubai The US. My wound, now affectionately know as my AK tattoo, healed quite well and with no complications. My personal doctor was impressed with the job done by Dr. Ice and commented on how complicated puncture and tissue tear wounds are to clean. The entire staff and the ever amazing Shebo ( I believe she is the Assistant GM of AK and is always around quietly overseeing every small detail), went out of their way to accommodate me and check in on us. They even had special waterproof patches flown in the next day for me to use further on in our trip. This is the kind of incident that could have ruined our vacation, as I was not allowed to swim for 3 days and was in a bit of pain, but instead only left a small mark on an otherwise perfect trip. To add to that, we were amazed that we were not ever presented with a bill for the medical services. This is unheard of!
Clearly, our love for this island, resort and it's staff is evident in this review. But, only once you actually visit it can the magic of the entire experience be fully understood. I again cried when we left after the 8 days and our entire family still dreams of our favorite place in the world. I wish this year saw us returning, but we will not have the time to take off until 2015. I can guarantee that we will be returning to AK then. Why would we ever want to go anywhere else?

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank glory4

Dear Glory4,

Greetings from sunny Kihavah!

I couldn’t help but read your wonderful review a couple of times prior to responding. Your review has touched the hearts of our associates and we are absolutely in awe after reading it.

At Anantara Kihavah, it is our passion on a daily basis towards creating not just a perfect experience but an "Amazing Experience" and your review has certainly exemplified our passion. All the credit goes to our associates who works day in and day out to ensure that our guests are well looked after hence the reason they keep returning back for more.

On behalf of the entire resort, I wish to take this opportunity to thank you for taking your time in giving us such an amazing review. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful little island and yes we will rekindle the magic for your family all over again.

Your Anantara Team

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

After I finished a job in the Maldives back in 2006 I thought I would not go back. This year however we decided to visit the islands for our own holiday and we did enjoy it thoroughly.
The General Manager Lionel and his team are creating fantastic experiences every day and we were blown away. From the over - water villa to the Butler service, from the amenities to the food, from our spa treatment to the snorkeling, we loved every minute of our stay. There is a great variety of food and beverage choices and we loved all our meals. As a person working in the industry I have to congratulate Anantara Kihavah with what they are doing. Keep up the great work, we will be back for sure.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank marcusag

Dear Marcusag,

It is indeed a pleasure to have you here at Anantara Kihavah Villas. We are delighted to read that you had an incredible experience with us. I have shared your wonderful feedback to the Team for the great service you received.

Thank you very much for appreciating what we do here at Anantara Kihavah. The team and I are looking forward for your return in not too distant future. If there’s anything I can do to assist you with regard to future booking, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Once again, we are grateful for your kind review and for sharing online in Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We spent 9 days at the Anatara Kihavah in Oct 2013 with my wife and 2 kids (daughter 11 & son 9).
As expected the villa, pool, sea & service were all absolutely excellent from start to finish.

The standout element for me however was the kids club. I was somewhat concerned before arrival that the children might be bored or feel pushed out. This was definitely not the case. The range of facilities for children may not have matched those of other, larger 5 star hotels, but the staff to child ratio, & more importantly the quality of the kids club staff, meant that both kids had the best holiday of their lives - according to them Disney has nothing on Anantara Kihava, & if they're happy then so am I.

If I was looking to pick, then my only minor criticism would perhaps be the food - the Italian restaurant was very good, & the undersea restaurant excellent, but
as a European, with perhaps less than an ambitious pallet, the salt & fire restaurant we not to my liking - perhaps more me than the hotel, but it did mean that we ended up eating almost every night at the italian, which did become somewhat repetitive, as the undersea restaurant was very expensive (only went once as a birthday treat).

Would strongly recommend taking the half board package - definitely worked out cheaper for us in the long run... Drinks were inevitably expensive, but probably no more than I expected.

To summarise would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to both couples & families looking for a luxury, private, relaxing escape.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank WhittleEngland

Dear WhittleEngland,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Anantara Kihavah and I’m delighted to read that you had a great time with us.

Our Kids Club notched again this time . Adam and his team are hands-on & ensures that our young VIPs are well-taken cared off while they are on the island. We have various activities prepared for our kids from age 3 – 12 yrs. old such as Pizza making, local island trip, and many more, undoubtedly the kids will never get bored. We are glad that your kids enjoyed their time in our Kids Club. Your compliments have been shared to the Team.

Thank you very much for your feedback about our cuisines and that you have taken the time to describe your impressions. We sincerely apologize for not having met your expectations of food quality. I have shared your helpful feedback to our Executive Chef to look for ways to improve our food quality.

Once again, thank you for choosing Anantara Kihavah for your Maldivian holiday. Hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Top Notch! I know it's pricey but this is one place you have to visit! The attention to detail was impressive. There were mini bathrobes, slippers and flip flops in my kids sizes already in the room. The kids were made to feel like royalty. I don't know how, but everyone seemed to know who we were. Each and every guest was addressed by name. The kids club was one of the best we've experienced. The private butler once he'd built a rapport with the kids would come to our room in a buggy to take the kids to kids club and would bring them back at whatever time we chose. The beach and water were the clearest I've ever seen. There are viewing holes built into the floor at strategic spots throughout the villa. Views were amazing and snorkelling gear can be hired for free from the scuba centre. There is an underwater restaurant which was great my only critique would be that the portion sizes were way too big considering there are so many courses and wine with each. As this was in the week just before Christmas it was amazing to watch them erecting trees in the water. They even made a Christmas tree out of coral deep in the ocean that could be seen in the underwater restaurant. We wished we'd been able to extend our stay right through to Christmas. If I'm lucky enough to go back to the Maldives I would stay here!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Babymuma

Dear Babymuma,

Greetings from Anantara Kihavah!

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about Anantara Kihavah and for sharing here on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to read that you had a fantastic stay with us. At Anantara Kihavah, not only the adults are treated like a royalty but also our young VIPs, and I am glad that you notice that and are happy with our little touches. I am also happy that our associates assisted you in making your stay at our Resort a comfortable and relaxing one. The team exudes genuine care and they go above and beyond to ensure we exceed our guests expectations. Your kind message have been shared to the entire Team. Thank you for keeping our associates motivated.

Thank you for your comments about the portion size at Sea restaurant, this is the first time we received comments that the portion size in Sea is big, normally the feedback was “small portion”. Nonetheless, we received feedback very positively as it is a tremendous help for us to know how our guests perceive our services and where we have to focus on improvement.

Glad to note that you were able to witness the sinking of our underwater Christmas tree!

The team and I are looking forward for your return to celebrate the festive season and to have another amazing experience.

Anantara Kihavah Team

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Our honeymoon at Anantara Kihavah was absolutely spectacular. We stayed in over water villa 211 and it exceeded our expectations. The villa was bigger than expected and had everything we needed. Great bed, air conditioning that was on all the time, excellent outdoor shower and big tub. There were glass bottoms everywhere throughout the hut. The private deck with swing bed and infinity pool put it over the edge. We could have stayed in the villa all week and still would have been happy.

We ate at all the restaurants, but our favorites were Sea and Fire. Fire is Japanese style with Sushi and teppanyaki, which really hit our taste buds well. Sea is the underwater restaurant, which we had lunch at. The amount of sea life was incredible. Thousands of fish everywhere around us while eating and even a couple of turtles passed through during desert. The food and wine pairing were excellent, but be prepared to spend $700+ just for lunch. The experience was worth it though. Plates for breakfast and lunch had a good buffet that changed just enough to meet our cravings and the service was incredible. They learned our names and preferences early on and were ready for us each day with our favorite foods and drinks.

Activities on the island were plentiful. It is the kind of place where they can make anything happen you want. Massages at the Spa were very good and the atmosphere was excellent. We took a bartender class one day from "Fonzy" at the sky bar, which ended up being so much fun. Highly recommended for a fun day of drinking and laughs. Snorkeling, beaches, and pool were all top notch.

The one place on the island that ended up being the pinnacle of our trip was the Dive Center. We rented jet skis one day, which were great, and upon our return we ran into Julian. He convinced us to try out Scuba diving the next day. We were hooked immediately. He was able to give my wife and I a great introduction class, which sparked our interests even further. I ended up going on 4 or 5 more dives and even getting certified, which was easy and fun. Julian and the guys at the dive shop really went the extra mile to make sure we had fun. He took the time and care with my wife to make sure she felt safe out of her comfort zone underwater and really took our visit to the next level. I highly encourage you to visit the Dive center and check out all of their activities. Julian was by far the best staff member we interacted with on the island and we thank him for making our trip so special.

Overall our trip was a huge success and I would highly recommend Anantara Kihavah based on their service, quality, and gorgeous estate.

Room Tip: Dive Center on the island is excellent. Book over water villas 211-225 as they are more private.
5  Thank BayPros

Dear BayPros,

Congratulations on your honeymoon! We are delighted that you choose Anantara Kihavah Villas to celebrate your honeymoon.

It’s great to note that you were happy with your villa, the cuisines – especially in Fire & Sea restaurant, the island itself and most of all the service from our associates.
It’s also great to hear that you had so much fun with Fonzy during the cocktail class. You are now a certified bartender! Congrats! Make yourself available coz we may hire you if we need a bartender .

Once again, congratulations on passing your Open Water courses. This is just the beginning to see and experience the underwater world.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about Anantara Kihavah online. I have shared your wonderful reviews to my Team and they are looking forward for your return for another amazing experience. Also, thank you for recommending our Resort to other travellers on this forum.

Anantara Kihavah Team

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Amazing hotel amazing service amazing views..if u ever stay there..ask for osama..he was the most helpful, kind and loyal person!:) we stayed at the over water villa which was so beautiful and serene. i definitely recommend this place

Room Tip: overwater is stunning for couples
1  Thank Cannes06 .

Dear Cannes06,

Thank you for your review on Anantara Kihavah Villas. We appreciate the time you have taken to write this.

I am glad to read that your stay at the Resort was fantastic. I will pass on your compliments to the entire team especially to Oussama – your Villa Host who assisted you in making your stay at Anantara Kihavah an unforgettable one.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kihavah Huravalhi
Amilla Fushi
Amilla Fushi
#5 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Kihaa Maldives
Kihaa Maldives
#12 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
#1 of 1 in Kunfunadhoo
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
Milaidhoo Island Maldives
#1 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Anantara Kihavah Maldives Villas? Share your experiences!