“"It changed my attitude about B&B's!"”

Ravinia Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highland Park
Ravinia Guest House
Peoria, Illinois
“"It changed my attitude about B&B's!"”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have never been a big fan of B&B's...but Ravinia Guest House has changed my mind. My husband and I and another couple wanted to go to a concert at Ravinia but did not want to drive home afterward. So, we booked the Ravinia Guest House. What a pleasant surprise that was. The house and the guest rooms are truly charming. (The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in outside of my own!) And the innkeepers truly have the gift of hospitality. They made you feel so comfortable and cooked a fabulous breakfast. It was almost like "going home again". They took excellent care of you while they just kind of went about their own business. They are charming, sincere and great hosts. I just hope it doesn't get too busy because we want to make a return trip some time soon!

Room Tip: There are 2 queen bed rooms w/private baths and a king bed room that shares a bath with the hosts...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sally G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 17 August 2013

As luck would have it, Ravinia was hosting a concert my husband would love on our anniversary. However, our first visit to Ravinia was overshadowed by driving and parking issues. So I decided to look for a B & B. Ravinia Guest House was perfect in every way. A quick walk from Ravinia, and a lovely lake shore walk, super clean rooms, a comfy bed, warm and helpful hosts, fantastic food, and even a bottle of champagne awaiting us after the concert. We had a great time. Note, this is a 1920's house, the stairs are steep and the floors creak. We found it absolutely charming.

Room Tip: The blue room has it's own bathroom. Book early!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I will echo the comments of some of the previous reviewers. This is a fine place to stay. My friend and I have stayed here twice in the past week to attend concerts at Ravinia, with a trip to Upper Michigan sandwiched in between. The Pearlmans are lovely folks and they run a quality establishment. Yes, the house is old and is creaky and has its quirks, but this is a B&B, not a modern hotel. It is beautifully decorated without being ostentatious. The breakfast Fran serves is first rate. It was a pleasure to go to the concerts, leave the car at the B&B, and not have to contend with parking lots, just walking a few blocks. There are restaurants within walking distance, as is the train to downtown Chicago. A restaurant that we were well pleased with last night is the City Park Grill, not exactly within walking distance, but in the middle of downtown Highland Park. If I return for Ravinia concerts in the future, I will certainly stay here. It would even work well if one has business in downtown Chicago. The neighborhood surrounding this Guest House is a place of great beauty in itself.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
South Dakota
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The Ravinia Guest House is an ideal place to stay in the Chicagoland area. The Highland Park area is incredibly beautiful and one of the safest areas in the metro area. It is very easy to drive down Sheridan Road or take the metro to get into the city. Regarding the parking space: if you can't back out of this easily-accessible driveway you will find driving in the Chicagoland to be a nightmare. The fact that they have off-street parking is one of the things that makes the guest house attractive, as your car is in a very safe place that is not visible from the road.

Fran and Errol are very friendly and gracious hosts. We enjoyed their company each morning, and Fran's cooking is amazing. To quote another reviewer here, I felt like a cherished guest rather than a customer. The house has a ton of character and is beautifully decorated, yet it is very clean and well-maintained. The room we stayed in had a very comfortable bed, plenty of space, and a nice bathroom with a good shower.

Bottom line: Ravinia Guest House offers a lot of value for a very reasonable price. If you want to stay in a safe place where you can enjoy a delicious breakfast, good conversation, and stay in a nice room, look no further.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Highland Park, IL
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We have stayed at a ton of B&B's in our time, but our experience at the Ravinia Guest House has been second to none. This B&B is what I expect other B&B's to be - old school, relaxed, you feel like you are at home. A home that is shared...

FYI - the apple pancake rocks and if you can convince Errol to play a bit of Gershin on the piano - all the better.

In terms of location - they are a block from Ravinia, a mile from the Botanic Gardens, 1/2 mile from downtown Ravinia and 1 mile from downtown Highland Park.

Room Tip: Ask for the Blue room.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We needed a nice quiet place to stay during a family re-union and this fit the requirement for stress free oasis. It has the feel of being a guest in someone’s home. Home is around 90 years old so expect creaking floor and quirky occurrences (like a tripped circuit breaker). But it adds to the charm.

The room was sunny and light. we stayed in the one with the king sized bed, so we shared a bathroom with the owners. Good point: it was a delightful shower; bad point had to walk the hall to the bath. Very comfortable bed and so nice to wake up and look out on a wooded area.

One breakfast was apple pancakes; very rich and very good. The second day was an egg souffle; almost good (it had flour?). Always something in the dining room to snack. And the waiting bottle of champagne at night with two flute glasses.

The house is located walking distance to Lake Michigan and the Ravinia Music Festiva.. The house keepers were very friendly, yet unassuming, but genuinely interested in us as visitors. There is always an interesting conversation at breakfast (we spent 90 minutes for breakfast the first night!).

Parking is a bit of a problem as there is no curb parking during the evening. The house is accessed through a long narrow driveway. With three cars parked, you will have to back out of it., which is a challenge.

Room Tip: For those B&B'ers that love company in the morning. Chose queen size room for private bath b...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrPickwick
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 28 August 2011

After dropping my son off at Notre Dame in Indiana, my fiancé wanted to introduce me to his north county roots and selected a B&B close to Winnetka, Illinois.

First, my preference is the privacy and independence of a nice hotel, or the cottage B&B system I experienced in the past. This was more like being a guest in someone’s home. I do not appreciate apple pancakes; way too rich for my Asian pallet. The bathroom conditions were too cramped and I didn’t like the creaking floors that alerted everyone to our movements and business.

On the positive side, it has great lighting for putting on makeup. I loved the location and neighborhood. The house is located walking distance to Lake Michigan, the Ravinia Music Festival, and a Metra station. It is also easily accessible to Midway Airport. The one-hour drive return to Midway was stress free even during rush hour traffic. The house keepers were very friendly, yet unassuming, but genuinely interested in us as visitors.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Red Roof Inn Chicago - Northbrook / Deerfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Bannockburn-Deerfield
Embassy Suites North Shore / Deerfield
Courtyard Chicago Deerfield

Been to Ravinia Guest House? Share your experiences!