“Russian Jewish/Mexican” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Casa de Isaac Mexican Restaurant

La Casa de Isaac Mexican Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Casa de Isaac Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 105 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Delray Beach, Florida
“Russian Jewish/Mexican”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a fun restaurant that features fun, quality Mexican Tex-Mex food and very good service. Our waiter was a very nice young Russian Jewish man who was excellent and the Mexican dishes were superb. This is an excellent place for casual dining with atmosphere, great drinks & Mexican food for reasonable money in the North Suburbs.

Visited June 2013

Grayslake, Illinois, USA
“Overpriced Items and Sketchy Quality - Be Leery”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

topped here on a whim, hoping for greatness based on fellow yelpers reviews.

ATMOSPHERE: OMG busy. We arrived during restaurant week around 5:45, and met a line out the door. I'm thinking, these must be some incredible tacos! Once inside, I'll say they have certainly maximized their space... tables are almost on top of each other, and the bar / kitchen is condensed into a teeny tiny space on one side of the wall. The host offered to have us sit at the "bar" (much to the people behind us' chagrin), and we took him up on it to avoid the 45 minute wait otherwise. The "bar" was really nothing more than a couple of wood railroad ties / planks strapped to a steel bar well to make additional seats, but hey, do what you can with what you've got, right? NOTE TO "BAR PATRONS" - the wood tabletop of the bar is HORRIBLY uneven. We spilled drinks twice just trying to set them down, and one of our many plates slid off the bartop on to my daughters lap.

FOOD: As straight tacos go, these are alright. Otherwise, we had:

Chicken / steak taco plate: Okay... I wish I could say better, but it was nothing special I was SO hopeful seeing some of the beautiful things leaving the window, and was simply let down by a basic taco, slightly underseasoned, served with rice that was horribly cooked, bland, and cold. One daughter had the kid's version of this, and hers was no better.

Tampiqueña: This was actually quite good. It's one of the more artful Mexican entrees we saw, and it came flavored well and had just enough to fill you without going overboard.

Guacamole - Okay. While creamy and filled with chunks of fresh avacado, it lacked acidity (from limes) and heat (from jalapeno's or other pepper). I like my guacamole with a kick, and this had ZERO... for $9, I was sorely let down.

Kid's Chicken Tenders - OMG this is one of the many items that completely knocked the rating down. They served a nice looking platter of chicken tenders, but they were very bland, poorly breaded, and when we asked for ketchup, we were brought first one bottle and then a second of BROWN ketchup. Folks, this means the bottles are OLD, oxidized, and potentially BAD... the bartender and server tried to convince me they were new and okay, but there is no way they should be serving this to people, especially children, and I was mortified... asked for ranch dressing, which seemed to be okay, and moved on. While I get that american dishes (including ketchup) aren't their thing - the answer is not to poison people - simply take it off your menu!

NOTE -- before you order drinks, check your prices!!!! I was charged $14 for a warm half-glass of wine. This is almost unimaginable to me, to pay $14 for a warm chardonnay that isn't even half full... they didn't tell us drink prices, so it wasn't until the check arrived that we realized what they'd done. Also, $9 for a Tecate? Shame...

SERVICE: Okay. The bartender was a nice guy, chatted up the girls, but the service otherwise was somewhat indifferent. The server herself showed up only rarely, and we were left a little dissapointed between that and the "ketchup incident"

VALUE: Pretty poor... we have a few Mexican restaurants nearby our home that, while they don't offer creative dishes like Filet Mignon fajitas, what they do have is better seasoned / flavored, half the cost, and much easier to live with (brown ketchup... EGAD)!!!

Truth told, I could be convinced to try one more time, and try something a bit more adventuresome, hoping it had the flavor and uniqueness I was hoping for but didn't get. That said, again, I believe if you can't do something right, and give it the attention and love you give the "special" dishes, then you shouldn't do it at all... dissapointing.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank j2white
Lake Bluff, Illinois
“Truly Authentic Mexican & Super Fast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2013

The service is lightening fast! That's good because this is authentic Mexican food. You can get Tex-Mex here, but there are superb seafood dishes and things that real Mexicans eat... And, it's Kosher (also be sure to check their schedule)! There is nothing bad to say about this place!

• Visited January 2013
GRAYSLAKE
“If you like being treated rudely as Highland Park is known for, this is the place for you.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

Me, my wife and daughter made reservations for 6:30. Arrived and dingy hostess didn't have us down. Questioned if we called the right resturant as they have another around the corner. My wife told them she had been there before and knows which restaurant she made the reservations at. My wife made reservations with a woman , but owner said he always answers phone. Really, now you are calling my wife a liar? We're seated after they made a big deal about their mistake. Drinks and dinner were okay, nothing out of the ordinary as reviews state on Yelp or Trip Advisor. Service is not so great. I know a few of my wife's co workers who loved it before, but say they have ruined many a dinner for them by losing reservations or poor service. I for one wouldn't go back. What the big deal is about this place I will never know. There are too many Mexican restaurants out there that are much better.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Riveras
Glenview, Illinois
“Mimi M”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

This is a cute little neighborhood restaurant. Very reasonable. Many choices to choose from. Spend a small amount or larger depending on your selection. Come early or make reservation as it fills up quickly. They have great guacamole & chips.
Family friendly and have a kids menu.

• Visited December 2012