“Great food, freezing restaurant”

La Casa de Isaac Mexican Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Casa de Isaac Mexican Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 109 Restaurants in Highland Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Have heard for a long time how great the food is here, and it definitely is. The staff is professional and highly competent. My only complaint is that there was not a comfortably warm spot to eat in the whole joint. I realize it's Chicagoland in January, but the restauranteur should as well. I won't go back until it's warmer outside, but I will go back.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Why this is a popular venue is beyond me. I guess if you like hard tile floors that reflect the sound of loud patrons sat cheek by jowl, along with slow service, cold food and long wait times for a table. . .well, this is your restaurant. The owners close the restaurant on Friday night for religious reasons, which begs the question as to why they can't keep it open on one of the most popular restaurant nights with non-religious staff.

Bottom line, It's not good food, it's not authentic, and it attracts the kind of tasteless extroverts who can't tell the difference. I felt sorry for the harried waitstaff, who were trying hard, but could not overcome the limitations of the menu, the kitchen backlog and the overcrowded room.

1  Thank drdave99999
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Im sorry but this is the most expensive mexican eating place i have ever seen for the food that you get. I live in a mexican area and the food is fabulous. I know margins are important but this isnt even funny

1  Thank Marshall312
Reviewed 21 June 2013

This is a fun restaurant that features fun, quality Mexican Tex-Mex food and very good service. Our waiter was a very nice young Russian Jewish man who was excellent and the Mexican dishes were superb. This is an excellent place for casual dining with atmosphere, great drinks & Mexican food for reasonable money in the North Suburbs.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

topped here on a whim, hoping for greatness based on fellow yelpers reviews.

ATMOSPHERE: OMG busy. We arrived during restaurant week around 5:45, and met a line out the door. I'm thinking, these must be some incredible tacos! Once inside, I'll say they have certainly maximized their space... tables are almost on top of each other, and the bar / kitchen is condensed into a teeny tiny space on one side of the wall. The host offered to have us sit at the "bar" (much to the people behind us' chagrin), and we took him up on it to avoid the 45 minute wait otherwise. The "bar" was really nothing more than a couple of wood railroad ties / planks strapped to a steel bar well to make additional seats, but hey, do what you can with what you've got, right? NOTE TO "BAR PATRONS" - the wood tabletop of the bar is HORRIBLY uneven. We spilled drinks twice just trying to set them down, and one of our many plates slid off the bartop on to my daughters lap.

FOOD: As straight tacos go, these are alright. Otherwise, we had:

Chicken / steak taco plate: Okay... I wish I could say better, but it was nothing special I was SO hopeful seeing some of the beautiful things leaving the window, and was simply let down by a basic taco, slightly underseasoned, served with rice that was horribly cooked, bland, and cold. One daughter had the kid's version of this, and hers was no better.

Tampiqueña: This was actually quite good. It's one of the more artful Mexican entrees we saw, and it came flavored well and had just enough to fill you without going overboard.

Guacamole - Okay. While creamy and filled with chunks of fresh avacado, it lacked acidity (from limes) and heat (from jalapeno's or other pepper). I like my guacamole with a kick, and this had ZERO... for $9, I was sorely let down.

Kid's Chicken Tenders - OMG this is one of the many items that completely knocked the rating down. They served a nice looking platter of chicken tenders, but they were very bland, poorly breaded, and when we asked for ketchup, we were brought first one bottle and then a second of BROWN ketchup. Folks, this means the bottles are OLD, oxidized, and potentially BAD... the bartender and server tried to convince me they were new and okay, but there is no way they should be serving this to people, especially children, and I was mortified... asked for ranch dressing, which seemed to be okay, and moved on. While I get that american dishes (including ketchup) aren't their thing - the answer is not to poison people - simply take it off your menu!

NOTE -- before you order drinks, check your prices!!!! I was charged $14 for a warm half-glass of wine. This is almost unimaginable to me, to pay $14 for a warm chardonnay that isn't even half full... they didn't tell us drink prices, so it wasn't until the check arrived that we realized what they'd done. Also, $9 for a Tecate? Shame...

SERVICE: Okay. The bartender was a nice guy, chatted up the girls, but the service otherwise was somewhat indifferent. The server herself showed up only rarely, and we were left a little dissapointed between that and the "ketchup incident"

VALUE: Pretty poor... we have a few Mexican restaurants nearby our home that, while they don't offer creative dishes like Filet Mignon fajitas, what they do have is better seasoned / flavored, half the cost, and much easier to live with (brown ketchup... EGAD)!!!

Truth told, I could be convinced to try one more time, and try something a bit more adventuresome, hoping it had the flavor and uniqueness I was hoping for but didn't get. That said, again, I believe if you can't do something right, and give it the attention and love you give the "special" dishes, then you shouldn't do it at all... dissapointing.

1  Thank j2white