“Shuttle service and no air conditioning = no thanks.”

Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hillside
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We were booked at this hotel for a wedding taking place at Brookfield Zoo. I'd recommend to look elsewhere when looking for your guests to block rooms for your wedding. Here's why:

The shuttle provided from the hotel to the zoo (where the wedding took place) and back was disorganized to say the least. I've been to multiple weddings with shuttle service and this is by far the worst.

With previous experiences, the shuttle times of pick up are clearly listed at the lobby to know when you need to be there for pick up. This was not the case with BW. A little inconvenient but I thought ok, all hotels are different.

I called down to the lobby and asked how I can put my name on the list for the service since I was a date of someone in the wedding party I was traveling alone to the ceremony and wanted to ensure I'd be on time for the ceremony. At first she put me on hold and seemed very confused, but came back on and said she (I forgot her name) "put me on the list" for 5pm. I go down to the lobby (with no air conditioning in 90 degree weather, also no air in the elevator or hallways) at 4:45 to make sure I'm on the list (since at this point I'm a little leary of the hotel's practices) and the man (didn't catch his name either) advised me I wasn't on the list. He added me but this was a little frustrating since I knew there was limited seating provided considering they have just 2 vans for all the people using this service. The zoo is about 15 minutes away but I thought with the ceremony at 6pm being down in the lobby at 4:45 would be sufficient time to get there without stress. Was I ever wrong.

I waited in the hot lobby for almost an hour until someone finally got there to take us to the zoo (there was only 1 van and room for 6, the next van was coming "shortly"; luckily I got on this first van) At this point the ceremony was suppose to start in 15 minutes which is how long it would have took to get to zoo plus walking etc to the ceremony site. I have never had this bad of service as a wedding guest needing a shuttle. Luckily the wedding was running behind as most are and once we seated at 6:10 it was fine. However had the ceremony started on time it could have been quite embarrassing to sit as the bride is walking down the aisle.

I would not recommend this hotel for any wedding guest whatsoever.

Additional info:

We had lunch in the hotel around 1pm, no other guests were in there but getting our food took quite a long time. I usually don't mind waiting to eat but without air in the restaurant made it quite unpleasant. However I must say the food we did receive was good, had chicken strips (can't really mess that up I suppose) and my date's Mom had quesadillas, which she enjoyed.

Overall, I gave this hotel a 2 since the lunch was good and the room's air conditioning was cold at least (should be standard in my opinion though). The shuttle service, no air everywhere else and the stench in the hotel and room were enough to have me say look elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 June 2012

Had a King room, no smoking. It was nice and comfortable. No free breakfast, but an all you can eat breakfast buffet for 9.95. We didn't bother though. The road the hotel sits on (Frontage) as were driving for the first time, I thought that maybe I had been taken. The road appears to seem abandon but then out of nowhere (thank goodness) the hotel appears. Maybe I shouldn't say the location is strange, its the ACCESS of the roads to the hotel that is strange. Nearby is a Super Target, which is located in a shopping plaza. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Very nice hotel, pleasant counter staff. The room was clean. 15 mins to town. The price was reasonable and we stayed an extra night. There was a charge for the breakfast buffet, but not excessive, 9.95 plus tax. Would recommend this hotel. The hotel has a guest laundry but theydon't promote it well and we only found out about it from the website.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice maker, it's very noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Good, clean room with nice amenities such as microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Definitely ask for a room not facing the highway as the hotel fronts the highway with not much real estate between the road and hotel. Price is pretty good, although I'm hard pressed to see a 3 star rating on certain "name your own price" websites. Perhaps it's the on site restaurant and the in-room amenities. I've stayed in 2 star hotels with comparable levels of cleanliness and features, minus a restaurant on site. The only thing I don't like is the location. Hillside, while not a "bad" town, is not as nice as neigboring towns just to the west. This Best Western is in a fairly industrial park type area, with the expressway right in view. The downside to those adjacent towns is that you're definitely going to pay more for a hotel of comparable level.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing the expressway to avoid near round the clock Chicago traffic sounds.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank cje123
Reviewed 7 May 2012

A nice clean place with a nice breakfast buffet. Just off Interstate 290 with easy access to the highway into and out of town.

Room Tip: stay in the north wing away from the highway side
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank potaracke
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We came on a church trip it was 87 of us. We were all located on the same floor and I have no complaints. Every room was ready when we got to the hotel at 3:00 pm. They do need to upgrade the tv in the rooms. Other than that the staff was helpful. The food i ate was good we had to order in the bar. I felt safe and we had a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Sexybern
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I chose this hotel because it was 4 miles from Loyola University Hospital and advertised a regular shuttle to and from this location. My son was in the burn unit at Loyola Hospital in Maywood. I had been up for over 24 hours dealing with his emergency and might have to face the amputation of his toes and feet. When I checked in, I immediately told the staff that I was going to put my bags in my room, come right down and then want to be transported to the hospital. When I got downstairs about 10 minutes later, the shuttle bus driver was at lunch. The front desk clerk, Mary, called him and said he had one passenger for Loyola and 2 for Cicero. He said, "I have 12 minutes left on my lunch. Mary said we would have to wait. We waited for another half-hour or so and Mary called him again. He said, "I am just finishing my lunch." I couldn't stand it anymore and said my son was facing an amputation and to finish it up. When he strolled up to the van he had attitude and was very cold.Even the male passengers were disgusted. After visiting my son I used a business card that the manager on duty had given me to call for a return ride. I called and called and it just kept going to voice mail. There was no main number on the card. I called the 800 number for Best Western and they had the Hillside manager to call me. She (still Mary) said that the manager had given me the wrong card and that someone would be there shortly. Now keep in mind, it is only 4 miles away AND advertised shuttle service to and from Loyola. One hour later the driver showed up. I had called the Best Western during my wait and they said that the shuttle was on another run and was going to pick me up on the way back. The other passenger had a take out bag from Olive Garden. The nice fellow that went to Cicero asked the driver to stop at Mr.Sub. I got my bags, and left the hotel without staying the night. If a family has a situation that may play out over days and needs a close place to stay, this is not it. This shuttle is for everything from fast food to joy rides. I addressed this was Mary and she said we got you there and back didn't we? I was too exhausted to argue. I don't plan to pay for the room or ever stay there again. We live 2 hours away. I'd rather make the drive. They do not offer a shuttle to Loyola for medical patient's families. They offer transportation for anyone who wants to go anywhere for any reason. If someone's life is on the line, or you are dealing with an emergent situation do not stay here. Loyola also has this place listed on their website as a place that shuttles. They need to correct that.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank beth828
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillside
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Chicago Airport West
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Hillside
Hampton Inn Chicago/Westchester (Oak Brook)
The Carleton of Oak Park
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
Comfort Suites Oakbrook Terrace
#4 of 8 in Oakbrook Terrace
Best Western Plus Oakbrook Inn

Been to Best Western Plus Chicago Hillside? Share your experiences!